Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Factory resetting an Ionic

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just bought a new Ionic. I was attempting to set up a PIN code. This worked, but when I tried to get get set up Wallet, the app kept saying there was an error when connecting to the Ionic. I tried to factory reset the Ionic, and now it is sitting there saying "data not cleared.Sync and try again". Syncing is out to 2 hrs now, so I'm assuming that is NOT working. Any help folks?

Best Answer
0 Votes
30 REPLIES 30

Hi, @Professornuke, this happens if you factory reset without first unpairing your Ionic.  Here is the solution:

Unpair your Ionic
Unpair from BT both Ionic and Ionic (classic)
Restart the App
Setup your device again.
Probably you will need to perform another Factory Reset because not all Data has been erased. (Remember to unpair first)

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

The device is ignoring all input from other  sources. This did not work. I actually returned the device to the place of purchase for a replacement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Julia_G! Welcome to the Forums @Professornuke.

@Professornuke Thanks for letting us know. Thankfully you now have one that works, right? How is the replacement doing?

If you have the time, perhaps you'd like to look into our Discussion boards. Lots of different topics to talk about in there with other Community members.

Hope to see you around.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

What buttons do you push and in what sequence on the watch to reset to factory settings?  I have not been able to set up my newly purchased Ionic either. I spent a few hours w/ a tech on the chat line. She stated to push all three buttons at once until the FitBit icon appears. As soon as it disappears, release the bottom right button. After some seconds, the watch will vibrate, then you can release the other 2 buttons. My watch still has the red X and states data was not cleared. I am being sent a postage label to return the watch then they will send me a new one. I'm not sure at this point if I even want it. I love my Charge 2 except the band keeps disconnecting from the tracker and I've almost lost it several times. The FitBit app works great for me!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LRHGscroll the screen all the way to settings then scroll down to About then scroll down to Factory reset (un-pair first)

Best Answer
Thank you for your reply 🙂. The Ionic won't finish the setup process. It gets to the point where it states "step 2 of 3, downloading 5%" and it stays there & spins (it did this for 1.5 hours). The tech said, after accessing my FitBit app, that it's "stuck in the pairing mode." The screen won't scroll. All it shows is the message stating the data was not cleared after attempts to reset it. Even though the Ionic showed up in the FitBit app and my phone settings stated it was connected to Bluetooth, it won't sync. I've deleted the Ionic in the FitBit app & unpaired it in Bluetooth several times, have restarted my phone a few times etc etc. All attempts end with the same results. Maybe a replacement Ionic will solve the issue.

Thanks again 🙂
LittleRedHairedGirl
Best Answer

Hey @LRHG and @SunsetRunner.

@LRHG Is your Ionic connected to your Wi-Fi network or is it connected to any Wi-Fi at all?

If not, please try to connect it to a Wi-Fi and run the setup once again as it should improve the setup process.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I went to update my ionic at 3am last night and as of 6pm it is still installing. What is wrong? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It was connected to WiFi for 10 hours straight. I’m sure updates shouldn’t take that long

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @SC12, welcome to the Forums.

Having it connected for so long can definitely become frustrating.

It could be that the connection was relatively slow. I'd not expect it to happen once again. Please do keep an eye on your Fitbit and how it behaves in the coming days.

Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had same issues after trying to run software update. Have tried multiple times now and still won't update.  Keeps failing half way thru.  Now i can't use any of the aps on my device and it won't sync on its own. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Forums @Mntrunner.

I can see how not being able to update can be very frustrating.

Are you connecting your Ionic to Wi-Fi? Please make sure that it is connected when running the update.

Additionally, could you try a different wi-fi connection in case your current one is not doing the trick? It is possible that the issue comes from there.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Very frustrating, indeed! I have spent more time trying to update my Ionic to OS2 then I have working out! : )  I've reset to factory settings, I've unpaired, I've restarted device and phone (iphone 7), I'm on wifi, set that up again after resets...I've researched...yet each time (think I've done this, oh, 32 times now)...no go. Gets stuck 2/3 into Install.  Yes, I have my Ionic plugged in, tried in the wall, tried in my pc...tried everything...worst update ever.

Best Answer

I don't use Apple products so am unsure exactly as to what may be causing your problems, but just as a suggestion is your Phone OS and firmware fully updated to their latest version? From what I've read that can solve some issues when it comes to syncing with the ionic.

Best Answer

Hey @FibroFemale15 and @SunsetRunner.

@FibroFemale15 Thanks for the details. If possible, I'd say that you try to connect to a different Wi-fi hotspot, or even use your phone as one to try and run the update again. It is possible that the issue could be stemming from the internet connection.

Please try that and let me know how it goes.

If you have any further questions, please reach out to me too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks @LanuzaFitbit - It finally worked last night, after another factory reset (have done several over the last week), and unpairing/pairing, and reconnecting to wifi, and having plugged in, and rebooting my wifi modem!, all things I've done numerous times in the last week... but it did FINALLY update.  I shouldn't have to go through hours over a week frustrated, trying everything, waiting only to find update 'stuck' multiple times, unable to use my device, etc...Such is life, moving on : )

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for letting me know @FibroFemale15.

I will keep this all in mind in the future and let the rest of the team know about it. Glad to know that it is working know, though.

If you have the time, perhaps you could look into visiting one of our Discussion boards. Lots of different topics to talk with other forums users.

Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My brand new Ionic is frozen with CLOCK ERROR so I can't scroll to Settings and select Reset.

How else to solve this problem please?

Best Answer

I have the same problem. Even when I go into my fitbit app on my phone, my applications don't show up and I can't select another clock. 

Best Answer