Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False steps while driving-Ionic

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I work on an ambulance, im always in and out of the truck, just got the ionic. Is there anyway to stop or pause the step count while im driving around in the truck? I know drivebit is there and adjust the log, but is there anyway to stop the count with an app on the ionic? Or function? 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
45 REPLIES 45
you would think, for all the high tech advances this system has, sp-o2,heart rate,receiving text messages, phone calls, state of the art accelarometers paying with your watch and so on…… that there would be single solitary stop/start step app or at the very least have it on there so you don’t have to reverse engineer fitbits program to take off false steps….smh...
Best Answer

Actually, there's possibly quite a simple fix to this, but it'd hae to come from Fitbit end of things. 

Back when I used my Charge HR, in order to stop it from counting false steps in my Jeep (lifted truck with slip yoke elinator = TONS of vibration) , all I had to do was plug it in to charge while I was driving. The Charge HR doesn't record anything while plugged into the charging cable. My thinking is, if a firmware update could possibly put this same concept into effect, could it stop the ionic from recording steps while driving? Because I'm really sick of gaining a false "+17 flights of stairs" while driving to work every morning 😂 But yeah, I find it much easier to keep my charging cable in my truck. I never have a chance to forget it and, because I wear my ionic to sleep, it works out perfectly, or would at least if this idea could somehow be implemented! 

Best Answer
Thats a good idea but it would drive me nuts taking off and on all day. Because i work on an ambulance. But for out of work stuff its a great idea thanks! 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I honestly don't know how Fitbit hasn't come up with that sort of system yet. The one thing about the ionic is at least I could shut it off while I'm driving

Best Answer

I know right. Still wondering how to contact or let them know. Or even ask if they have something in the making...

Best Answer
0 Votes

There use to be an app called travelbit that I used with my fitbit charge. It boggles me why fitbit can't have soemthing similar. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well hopefully they will get around to it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It might be worth reaching out to one of the 3rd party developers to see if they are willing to develop something similar to drivebit/travelbit, it really shouldn't be too hard.

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

Good point. They might be willing to develop an app on the watch itself if they already havent done so. As previously mentioned i use drive bit. They just upgraded a new version so you can modify the times on the app which is pretty cool because after some crazy calls im too caught up in the moment and i forget that i turned it on. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's what I'll have to do. Fitbit told me to log the activity as driving, but when you do that it saves it as an exercise showing you burned calories etc. So you have to choose whether you want to record false steps or a false exercise. Lol I drive for a living so my Ionic is giving me like 8,000 steps extra a day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Hp8883310 wrote:

That's what I'll have to do. Fitbit told me to log the activity as driving, but when you do that it saves it as an exercise showing you burned calories etc. So you have to choose whether you want to record false steps or a false exercise. Lol I drive for a living so my Ionic is giving me like 8,000 steps extra a day.

Bare in mind that your body is still burning calories whilst you are driving. What you are seeing may be your BMR calories. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

Even if that were so the fact that it is classified as an exercise drives me crazy. It counts towards my exercise goal for the week. So even if I do not work out I am getting credit on the app for it because I went for a drive. Lol If I do not log it as driving and just let it count as false steps I'm getting all of these badges awarded for high step count. To me for a 300 dollar watch, that should be fixed. I love this watch for what it is supposed to be, but thinking I might just return it and go back to using my Garmin.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes it is annoying that it lists it as an exercise, I guess that's a limitation of the system.

You mention going back to your Garmin, did that not record any steps whilst you were driving? 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

Yes, I have a Garmin 235 and it did not record steps while driving. However, it is a basic watch and does not have the features or apps like the Ionic does. One other negative about the Ionic though, is that if you record a treadmill run it won't record your mile splits, just your overall average pace. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use an iPhone and an ideal solution I’ve found is an app on the Apple Appstore called Drivebit.  - I love using the app Drivebit, as it has been designed to work in conjunction with your Fitbit app on your phone. It is linked to your Fitbit account. The aim is that when you start driving you tap the “Driving” icon on the app and then press “Cancel” when you’ve finished. The app then correctly logs on the Fitbit Dashboard history under “Driving”, the start & finish times you were driving WITHOUT impacting on the times you’re actually walking or running. I own a Fitbit Surge and have recently upgraded from an iPhone 6s to an iPhone 8 and the app appears to work normally. Thanks for reading. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I own an iPhone and a good solution I’ve found is an Apple AppStore app called ”Drivebit” - The Drivebit app has been designed to work in conjunction with your Fitbit app on your phone. It is needs to link to your Fitbit account. The aim is that when you start driving you tap the “Driving” icon on the app and then press “Stop” when you’ve finished. The app then correctly logs on the Fitbit Dashboard history under “Driving”, the start & finish times you were driving WITHOUT impacting on the times you’re actually walking or running. I own a Fitbit Surge and have recently upgraded  from an iPhone 6s to an iPhone 8 and the app appears to work normally. Thanks for reading. 

82FC25A6-E138-479A-A733-806DF18C61E0.jpeg

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for answering. I have drive bit and its actually really good as far as regulating false steps. My only issue was on the way to a call wether its a shooting stabbing or cardiac arrest or an injury. I find myself trying to activate the app on my phone constantly instead of paying attention to my surroundings. So it makes it difficult to keep accurate. If drive bit had an app on the watch that would AMAZING! A simple tap on the watch start/stop. Everything is awesome! Haha 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Or, if FitBit would fix the watch so that additional apps were needed,
THAT would be great!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I think more than 1 in a thousand people drive.

Best Answer
0 Votes