Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Ionic - Waterproof ?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello,

I bought the Ionic speciallyfor its waterproof feature.

I tried a running session to test it and everything works fine if I follow all steps

(Distance, steps, heart rate are good).

I tried a swimming session and it went bad.

The session was 2.3km for 1h 25m activity.

The max depth reached was about 1.25m during my "slide" (coulé in french)

The first part of the trainning was good. Only the touch screen did not want work anymore, but buttons was still working.  When the watch was submmerged, the display went off once outside water, on. I think this was normal operation.

In the middle of the run, the Notification popup starts to appears and each time the watch was vibrating.  It did never stop, even inside the water.  The buttons began to stop respond when pressed.  I was thinking this is because of the tactile feature went crazy, so I continu.

At the end, buttons did not respond anymore.  When I finished, I dried my hand and the watch to try to stop the swimming session.  The watch showed me the menu (Alarms, Coach, Activity, Music) and I think processor had issue to communicate with HMI because text under each icon was fuzzy (not readable).

When I success to open activity option, I noticed that the watch stop recording by itself.

I let the watch dry about 1 hour out of my wrist and buttons began to work again.  I still have the Notification popup glitch and some buttons action without pressing them.

Other points :

The watch success to pair with my phone and send the data.

Distance looks really good even if the tracking stop.

Need to verify Heart rate.  I'm not sure about the accuracy during swimming.  It looks lower than it supposed to be.

So, can someone confirm me if the Ionic is really waterproof ?  Do I need to buy a specific case to ensure this feature ?

For the moment, I stop using it at swimming.

If nobody can give me any answer, I will return the product because I bought it specially for its waterproof feature and swim tracking option.

Thank you

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

The Ionic can track your swim stats and according to the user manual it is water resistant up to 50 meters.

You can access the manual here.

While your Fitbit charges or you just want to catch your breath, join us on the Lifestyle Discussions

Community Council Member

Warren | Cincinnati, OH

Versa Lite, Ionic, Charge3, Inspire HR, Blaze(retired), Alta( retired),- Pixel 3

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you @wtksk8r for your fast reply.

I will take time to read the manual because I only red the quick start guide.

Once done, I will verify the theoretical versus the practical and give my feedback.

It does not change that my last swim session was not successful.

Thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes

One thing I would never do is push buttons while the watch is submerged. I’m aqua running, while rehabbing a foot injury. I’m tempted to use my old Surge, in the water, but will wait until I buy a new fitness watch (Ionic or Apple Watch?).

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not waterproof even though Fitbit claims that it is waterproof. Today for the first time I left my ionic on while at the pool, it stopped working. False advertising! Fitbit offered me 25% towards a new Fitbit. Nothing was wrong with mine until I put it in water. I will not be happy until they replace it. 

Best Answer

I am very sad. I have an ionic Fitbit. Even though it states that it is waterproof, I had never taken it into the water. Today my family and I were on vacation and we were in the pool. My family reminded me that the ionic is waterproof, so I kept it on. I am not a swimmer. So the Fitbit only had surface contact with the water. After about 45 minutes, it went blank and it would not respond. I contacted Fitbit support. Because the warranty has expired, they are offering me 25% off. I contend that this has nothing to do with the warranty, but that they advertise that it is waterproof when it is not. I take pride in accomplishing my daily goals and now I can not. I am requesting that they replace my perfectly working Fitbit under the circumstances. The supervisor states he will present my situation higher. I am so disappointed because I am missing my tracking. I encourage all my friends to get a Fitbit. I feel betrayed by Fitbit. I would never have taken it in the water had they not stated that it was waterproof.
Has anyone else experienced this issue regarding Fitbit's claim of the ionic being waterproof?

Best Answer