Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Ionic display not turning on

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Last night after my workout, when I went to charge my Ionic watch I noticed my Ionic said 0% battery and then the screen turned off before I plugged it in.

This is very odd since I've never seen it go below 50% because I charge it most every night.
Since this happened, I've tried four different USB chargers and plugging it into my laptop to try and get it to charge, and I've also pressed the left and bottom button for 10 to 15 seconds multiple times, all to no avail.

Any other options to reset my Ionic? 
Help!
------------------------------------
FYI - I been using Fitbits since at least 2011, and when something similar happened to my Fitbit One (bought in 2012 - it just turned off one day and never would come back on - still have it and wish it would come back to life), I bought the Surge in 2015, but its screen and battery life are both bad.
So when the Ionic came out, I got it in January of 2018 and loved it until last night 😞 

Now here I am trying to charge up my surge to old Surge since my newish Ionic and old One are both DOA.

Very sad, and my workout plans for day 13 of my New Year's challenge is getting all messed up!

😞
------------------------------------

Update: 
I've order a new FitBit charger to see if the two I have are not functioning, however I doubt that is the issue. Update: No luck with new charger.
I'm trying to get by using my Surge but it's battery life is less than 2 hours 😞 Update: I turned off all day sync, heartbeat, and display backlight and my Surge no seems to last the whole day. But the display still is aweful.

I also was surprised to see my Fitbit One turn back on and I'm also trying it but it's acting weird and also seems to have a very short battery life. Update - Fitbit One display only comes on when plugged in again so it's unusable.
I really miss my Ionic and hope the new charger works, but if not I guess I'll be calling into support since no one has been able to help here, and I really hope support can help as these watches are so expensive they really need to last more than one year 😞

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I just chatted with FitBit support, and after trying several things to no avail, the support engineer checked and confirmed my watch was still under warranty so they are thankfully sending a replacement.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

@Greylock Welcome to the Fitbit forums! Thanks for taking the time to share all of those details regarding the situation you are experiencing with Ionic not turning on. Thanks for being such a long time Fitbit user. Thanks for trying the restart steps in order to sort this out.

In this case, try cleaning the contacts on your watch and charging cable. This has helped other users who have experienced issues with batteries not charging. Once you have done this plug it in and try the restart steps once again. 

Additionally, something else you can try is changing the clock face of your watch. This has helped other users in some occasions. 

Hope this helps. Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you @SantiR for your reply.

- I have cleaned the contacts on my Ionic as suggested.

- I have cleaned my changing cables as suggested, and even purchased a third cable.

- After drying all cables and contacts, one at a time I attempted to charge my Ionic for an hour using each of my three charging cables in two different USB ports which do charge my iPhone 6s and Surge without issue.

All that said, no matter what USB port I plug any of the cables into my Fitbit Ionic will not turn on (which also means the app won't let me change the clock face)

This is very sad as it cost nearly $300, and didn't even last one year (while my Surge is still plugging along 😞 )

Best Answer

I just chatted with FitBit support, and after trying several things to no avail, the support engineer checked and confirmed my watch was still under warranty so they are thankfully sending a replacement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So changing the clock face, it even attempting to change the clock face, brought back my display.

No issues with charging; just had a gray screen.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I had the same problem with my Fitbit Ionic.  It's always loved this watch, especially the GPS feature but it just went dead the other night.  It was still at about 65% but I like to keep it fully charged since I use the GPS feature a lot and that can deplete the battery pretty quickly when I take a long run or walk.  Anyway, it was charged up to 99% and I unplugged it from the charger.  Then it went completely blank and when I pushed the left-side button I just go 0% displaying on the screen.  I tried everything to reset it but to no avail.  I called support and they asked me a few questions and had me try a couple of things.  Then they said they would research further and send an Email to update me.  The Email came shortly after that and it only said my watch was out of warranty (purchased about 1 year and 3 months ago) and that they would give me a coupon for 35% discount on a new one.

Anyway, I find this completely unacceptable!  This is the second fitbit I've had that died this way.  The first one was a Blaze, which I also loved for a little less than two years before it did the same thing.  Both watches were expensive, the Ionic costing over $200, so I think I'm done with Fitbit.  It's very discouraging that it is handled this way.  You're right, this kind of product should last for more than a year..or two.  I guess will either get something like a Garmin or maybe even an Apple Watch, something I avoided for a long time because I was so happy with the Fitbit product.  I just can't keep spending money like this for something that can die at a moment's notice and there is really no recourse after the first year.

Best Answer