Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Ionic suddenly turned off & won't switch on. Problem persists when charging.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, I have a fitbit ionic and today it just switched off all of a sudden. It is now unresponsive when I try to switch it on, charge it or connect it to the fitbit app. I noticed this after my swim today. I tried holding the back button and the right bottom button but this proved to be useless. Is there anything else I can try please?

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

The only thing left to trybis to do a factory reset. If that doesnt bring it back to life you will need to contact Support (link in my signature )

FACTORY RESET USING BUTTONS
On the watch, hold all three buttons for about twelve seconds. This triggers the 2-button hardware reboot after about eight seconds.
- When the Fitbit logo appears, then disappears, release the bottom right button, then continue holding the left and top right buttons until you feel a strong vibration. This indicates the factory reset was initiated.
- This process may take several seconds, and eventually, the Fitbit logo appears and the device boots and displays go to Fitbit.com/setup.
- If you fail to release the bottom right button in time, or otherwise don't follow the procedure precisely, the Fitbit logo reappears quickly and boots without factory reset.

If the device turns on, please go back to the Fitbit app and setup your device back to your account with these steps. Make sure your watch is plugged into a wall plug or a computer, next to the router and that there are no other trackers or devices with Bluetooth on nearby when setting up.  Please log into your account, go to account on the upper right corner, there look for "setup a device" and tap on it. Follow the instructions on the screen and let the watch charge for 2 hours.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same thing just happened to me. Won't reset or anything. It had a 70% charge so it didn't just die. I tried to reset using the buttons but nothing so I went on the app to see what I could do and the app can't detect it anymore. 

Best Answer

unfortunately, welcome to the island of misfit ionics

Best Answer

My Ionic turned off unexpectedly a couple of weeks ago and wouldn't start up.

I left it on charge for a long time and after a while (at least overnight I think) it started up.  Try leaving it connected for an extended period and see if this works for you.

Unfortunately in my case the touch screen was then non-responsive, but that is another story......

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same thing happened to my husbands Ionic.  We have tried absolutely everything and it will not turn back on.  It's only 1 month out of warranty and reading on other forums, its sad to say,  it looks like this is the norm for the ionic.  Very disappointed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So sorry to hear that he's having the same problem. I did a chat with Fitbit to try to resolve the problem but unfortunately nothing worked. They sent me a code for 25% a new Fitbit within 30 days and 40% the Versa lite but only in marine or mulberry. I was highly disappointed by the whole thing and will probably save for the new Samsung as they offer some great features but you might have better luck as you are only 1 month out of warranty and this is absolutely a trend with the Ionic watches and probably should hahavbeen recalled. Best of luck and I hope you are able to get his fixed or replaced. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the message I tried everything with the chat support team but I think the longest I left it on the charger was about an hour and a half so it's absolutely worth a shot. If it works I'll let you know. Otherwise, I'm left with an expensive bracelet as support said there's nothing they can do as it's out of warranty. They offered a 25% discount on a new one but this is the 4th one between my fiance and I and I'm not happy with the quality or the way this has been handled given it seems to be a increasingly common problem with the Ionic so I'm going to likely save for a Samsung.

Best Answer

Thank you for your reply.  I honestly do not think I will give another dime to fitbit after how this whole thing has been handled. It seems to me that they should have done a recall.  Way to many watches with the same exact problem.  At the very least they should offer to fix them being it has  to be something in the software.  And 25% off?  No thank you. I will take my chances with a Samsung.  Also I left my husbands on the charger for 2 days and nothing 🙄

Best Answer

it's almost as if they had some specific threshold in mind and bricked every ionic that was outside that threshold....but that's just a guess on my behalf...not like I have to do something very similar in my line of work, except it's to update or fix things, not to brick the device and then tell the owner sorry, not sorry, give me 75% of full price on a refurb/dead stock with no warranty or guarantee I won't do this to you again within a year or shortly there after.....

Best Answer

I had the same problem but read that someone else played around with the buttons, I spent a whole afternoon playing with the buttons, just pushing them at random and after a while it switched back on. The next time it happened, it took me a day to get it back on using the same method. I darent switch it off again as I don’t think it would start a third time. Each time I noticed how much the battery had gone down so it must have been doing something whilst it had shut down. I’m not sure you could get it back on if it was flat but I would charge it, even though it’s not on and then just fiddle with it whilst watching the tv!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks I did try that a day or so after but can't hurt to try again maybe I'll get lucky. Thanks
Best Answer
0 Votes