Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit ionic queires

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi guys, 

I've owned a fitbit charge 2 for about 2 years now and love the fitness tracking capabilities on both the device and the IOS app. I'm now looking to upgrade to a smart watch and sticking with Fitbit for the above reasons was my first thoughts.  I've been trying to do some research into the ionic watch but a lot of reviews I've read are slightly outdated now, I just want to gain some further clarification on a few things with up to date feedback, so hoping you guys can help!

The big sway for looking into a Ionic is the fact is has its own onboard GPS so I can go for a run/ride without the need to carry my phone, however can the watch still receive notifications (texts/calls/app notifications) when I leave my phone at home? Or does the phone need to be within a certain distance of the watch in order to receive notifications (which kind of ruins the whole GPS idea). 

I have an iPhone, so Im running IOS, a lot of articles Ive read have stated the Fitbit Ionic can receive text/call notifications but you cannot use quick replies to respond, is this correct? If this still is the case is there any projected date in the future when Fitbit will be capable of doing this? (this would play a massive factor in my choice of smart watch manufacturer!) 

It appears you can use an array of different branded bluetooth headphones with the Ionic, can you accept calls via the watch and talk to people either directly through the watch or via the bluetooth headphones (if they have a mic)?

Does anyone know if the following apps are compatible with the Ionic, is WhatsApp (IOS Platform) is supported on the ionic for notifications/quick replies as I use this a lot for talking to relatives overseas. I also have a Spotify account so stream music on here, can the Ionic support this for either playlists made available offline or when the phone is in close proximity? 

Moving on the NCF payment feature, looking on the Fitbit website on 3 UK banking societies are available (all of which Ive never even heard of) are the mainstream banks such as HSBC, Barclays or Natwest not available? 

Many thanks for reading this post, I hope you guys can help me out with my questions before I potentially buy a watch which doesn't suit my needs.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

I can answer some of your questions:

The Ionic just receives the notifications from your phone via bluetooth and not from the web so you will need to have the phone within bluetooth range to receive notifications.

I have connected four different brands of bluetooth headsets to my Ionic with no problems. The Ionic receives phone call notification but does not connect to the phone to talk. Like the text notifications you need to be within bluetooth range to get these. You can't receive calls through the Ionic. What you would need is a headset like the Flyer that connects to both the Ionic and the phone so that you can communicate with the phone when a call comes in.

The Ionic should be able to receive any notifications that go into the phone's notification site. The Fitbit phone app just sends on the notifications to the Ionic. You go into the phone app and select those apps for which you want the Ionic to receive.

The Ionic does not stream music from the web. You need to download a playlist and play from that. You can use iTunes to transfer music to the Ionic and some services like Pandora (paid service only) will download songs from stations you choose.

Hope this helps

While your Fitbit charges or you just want to catch your breath, join us on the Lifestyle Discussions

Community Council Member

Warren | Cincinnati, OH

Versa Lite, Ionic, Charge3, Inspire HR, Blaze(retired), Alta( retired),- Pixel 3

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

In the UK FitbitPay is a useless feature. I wouldn't count it is going to change. The only bank from the list I am familiar with is Santander but, same as you, I'm with HSBC. It is very unlikely that it's going to be improved if until now nothing changed.

Spotify isn't available and like with FitbitPay, I wouldn't expect any change in that matter.

Best Answer
0 Votes