Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS + Music Battery Life?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi again!

The Ionic manual states that the battery (as previously advertised) will last around 10 hours while tracking runs/cycling/etc. via GPS.

The manual also shows that while playing music, the watch will allow for around 12 hours of continuous play. 

I am curious as to how long the battery will last when I inevitably listen to music and run at the same time. 

To restate -- how long will the Ionic battery last when both the GPS is on and music is playing simultaneously?

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

I'm guessing and this is just a guess, but I don't think the battery would go for much more than 8 hours in that scenario. I have no inside information, but I will say that using GPS while listening to music is a battery killer. I'm anxious to see what the watch can do and 4+ days of battery life has me excited. My runs are usually 40-50 minutes, so I won't be using GPS extensively, but I understand different people use their watches different ways. 

Best Answer

@runwithnewmedia wrote:

Hi again!

The Ionic manual states that the battery (as previously advertised) will last around 10 hours while tracking runs/cycling/etc. via GPS.

The manual also shows that while playing music, the watch will allow for around 12 hours of continuous play. 

I am curious as to how long the battery will last when I inevitably listen to music and run at the same time. 

To restate -- how long will the Ionic battery last when both the GPS is on and music is playing simultaneously?

Not seen any info on this and likewise, I don't believe it will be as long. A quick bit of rough calculation based on times for gps and music gives a combined time of 7.4 hrs, not far from the 8 mentioned by @datalore above.

Best Answer

Battery with GPS and playing music is barely 3 hours. Will try it again but don’t expect to use both for a long distance exercise 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Kind of an old post I know, but the Ionic is new to me, and I just did a 4 hour bike ride with GPS on (no music), and the battery did not last the whole way, maybe 3/4 of my ride. I also had the display set to "Always On" which it tells you right on the watch will drain battery faster. My next ride illI try again but leaving the display at default. 

Best Answer

I know this post is older, but this questions has been one of the hardest to find answers on. I love the ionic, the battery life while using the GPS does go faster. However, I finally got around to downloading Pandora on my watch and while listening, as well as using the GPS, it lasted 35 minutes!! I was so disappointed. I haven’t tried it again yet and am hoping there was a setting off or something I did wrong. If anyone else has insight, I’d love to hear more about how you made it work. 

Best Answer

Egads! I have had my Ionic for awhile now but just recently added music. I am not a runner but do walk quite a distance. I sure hope the battery power lasts longer than 35 min. using gps and music. It has been too hot here to walk outside and am hoping it will start cooling off soon. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey all,

I wanted to help shine some light on this subject.  After doing a number of 25 to 35 mile runs, I feel I can give a fairly accurate answer.   Playing Music that has been downloaded to the watch itself (not streaming) and using GPS to track my runs from a FULL charge... will usually last between 4.5 to 5 hours.  This is with notifications every .5 miles.  If that even matters.  I have ran over 5 hours five different times and it never once lasted longer than 5 hours before it ran completely dead.  

Hope this helps.

Bryan 

Best Answer

I did my first really long run using my new ionic last weekend and was surprised when it dies after 4hrs 40 mins. No music was playing but I think the display was always on. I started off the run on like 95% charge so almost full.

After claiming 10 hours of GPS tracking battery life I'll be surprised turning the display off will some how double the gps battery life.

Is this not false advertising?

Going to try again this weekend, 100% battery, sync right before I start, display turned off.

Anything else I should turn off? Bluetooth/music won't be on anyway.

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would definitely turn the screen always on to OFF.  As small as the screen is, it really sucks the power.  I have mine turned to OFF and it seems to really help.  I have noticed that the more that I check out my stats during my run, the faster my battery drains.   

Best Answer

I have a new fitbit ionic and have done rides on my bike with GPS
on (no music) and it never last more that 4 hours and then it goes dark. It is a peice of Junk.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Don’t know what to tell you.  I would assume that you probably have some settings using some extra power some where.   

BA8ECA43-48E6-4785-9519-F31E117E54E6.png

Best Answer
0 Votes
I had to change from using a custom watch face to an official fitbit one; uses loads extra battery. Also change from display on all the time greatly improved battery life also.

Sent from Gaz'z iPhone
Best Answer