Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart Rate Variability Measurement Accuracy

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I'm evaluating the accuracy of Heart Rate Variability measurement with the Ionic for a sports presentation this weekend. Tried customer support but they could not provide the data I need.

Does anyone have data on the accuracy of Ionic Heart Rate Variability measurement, as compared with FDA approved devices/

Does anyone know the sampling rate? (Should be abt 256/sec).

Thanks very much,

Bob

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Nobody here knows it. Assuming, that the watch uses an optical sensor I can tell that the sensor's maximum sampling rate is 25Hz (Sense, I'm not sure if it is so for Ionic, I but as far as I remember it was no different). I don't know if the red-light (SpO2) sensor does anything for HRV measuring. Some research shows that the minimum sampling frequency for R-R intervals is 50Hz where the R-R intervals can be obtained with a reasonable error (for ECG equipment). But here's an interesting research result from this paper :

"The results could be interpreted that there were no differences in the frequency-domain analysis between reference HRV and PRV when PPG's sampling frequency was over 25 Hz. However, at fs<=20 Hz, significant differences were found for some of the variables"

Simply, 25Hz seems to be very minimum to obtain accuracy with the lowest possible (acceptable) error. Whether Ionic, Sense, or any other Fitbit device is accurate when capturing HRV, I can't tell but I really doubt it considering that a) it barely meets minimum requirements b) the sensor proves very often not being accurate even for HR. Sampling with a frequency of 25Hz leaves really no room for error.

Fitbit's HRV accuracy cannot be tested due to a lack of provided data and unknown methodology. As long as the data cannot be verified in the lab environment Fitbit's HRV is just a gimmick (but that's just my opinion).

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
1 REPLY 1

Nobody here knows it. Assuming, that the watch uses an optical sensor I can tell that the sensor's maximum sampling rate is 25Hz (Sense, I'm not sure if it is so for Ionic, I but as far as I remember it was no different). I don't know if the red-light (SpO2) sensor does anything for HRV measuring. Some research shows that the minimum sampling frequency for R-R intervals is 50Hz where the R-R intervals can be obtained with a reasonable error (for ECG equipment). But here's an interesting research result from this paper :

"The results could be interpreted that there were no differences in the frequency-domain analysis between reference HRV and PRV when PPG's sampling frequency was over 25 Hz. However, at fs<=20 Hz, significant differences were found for some of the variables"

Simply, 25Hz seems to be very minimum to obtain accuracy with the lowest possible (acceptable) error. Whether Ionic, Sense, or any other Fitbit device is accurate when capturing HRV, I can't tell but I really doubt it considering that a) it barely meets minimum requirements b) the sensor proves very often not being accurate even for HR. Sampling with a frequency of 25Hz leaves really no room for error.

Fitbit's HRV accuracy cannot be tested due to a lack of provided data and unknown methodology. As long as the data cannot be verified in the lab environment Fitbit's HRV is just a gimmick (but that's just my opinion).

Best Answer