Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart rate accuracy and not receiving notifications

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

2 issues.

I recently fired up my Ionic after about 10 months of inactivity.  A calibration message popped up on the device so I followed the instructions to recalibrate.  I thought this would be great since it hadn't been used in almost a year.  The sensors seem to work fine when I'm sitting at work or lounging at home, but when I use the exercise app the numbers either jump to my peak HR or don't register at all.  Example:  This morning I set it up for a "Weights" workout and before I lifted a single rep it said my HR was 155.  I checked it myself and was maybe 65.  Instead of adjusting and coming down to where it actually was, it continued to rise to 170.  I took it off, wiped it and my wrist, but when I put it back on it did the same.  I thought, "screw it" and went about my workout.  I checked to see if it had fixed itself only to see that it wasn't reading a HR.  Any idea if the calibration screwed up the sensor or how I can reset to before the calibration.  For the record, I did not have this issue before the calibration.

Issue #2.  This has been a persistent issue since I go the device in December 2018, but has gotten noticeably worse in the last 2 months.   My Ionic does not get notifications from my phone.  Or at the very least, notify me when they occur.  Sometimes I'll swipe down to see all notifications and there will be some (It never vibrated when they came in) and others there's nothing.  I always have my phone on me and they're connected to each other.  Before it used to be that the notifications would sporadically go in and out, but now I never get them.

Any help with either issue is appreciated.

Alan

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity 

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @SunsetRunner, welcome to the Community Forums! My apologies for the delayed reply, 

Thanks for bringing this to my attention and all the details that were shared in your post, your effort and patience troubleshooting your Ionic prior to posting are appreciated. Regarding your first issue, can you please let me know if the heart rate sensors of your device are normally flashing? If you haven't already done so, I recommend you to restart your Fitbit and then check the information that's specified on our help article: How do I improve the accuracy of my heart-rate reading on my Fitbit device?

In regards the second issue with the notifications feature, can you please let me know which mobile device are you using? When was the first time you experienced this issue and how many times since then? Are you having issues with text notifications only or with phone calls too? Please check: How do I get notifications from my phone on my Fitbit device? to see that all the necessary requirements to receive notifications on your Fitbit are correctly configured and to try some troubleshooting steps.

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @RicardoFitbit.  Sorry I haven't been able to answer your questions until now.  

Yes, the heart rate sensors are always flashing.  I've tried restarting the device multiple times hoping something would click and it would go back to normal.  

For the issue with notifications.  I started using this device with a Google Pixel 2 and now use it with an iPhone 11 Pro.  The first time I noticed this issue was probably February or March of 2019.  The device wouldn't vibrate, but the screen would still light up and usually that was enough for me to notice.  It wasn't every time that it wouldn't vibrate, but about 50/50.  Since installing the latest firmware update I do not get any indication of a notification.  I've double and triple checked that I have the system share settings correct (I do).  The device will light up and vibrate about 50% of the time for phone calls, but I fear that it will stop doing that like text and email.

As stated before and again above, I didn't have these problems before the latest firmware update and sensor calibration.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@RicardoFitbit after charging to 100% yesterday my Ionic shut off mid workout.  It wouldn't turn back on or reset.  I put it on the charger all night and still nothing is happening this morning.  I've cleaned the ports and the cable to make sure there is good connection between the two, but it is not functional.  

It seems the latest firmware update has turned my Ionic into an expensive paperweight.  Is there any recourse I could take to get it repaired/replaced with Fitbit?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm also having trouble receiving notifications to my Ionic. This has been a constant issue for the last year. I've done everything that I have found in the Community short of doing a complete factory reset. Notifications will work briefly and then stop.

I have an iPhone 8 running the latest iOS (13.4.1) and my Ionic recently updated to the latest version (27.70.7.27).

I'm about ready to give up on FitBit all together and just spring for an Apple Watch because it seems they don't bother to fix the issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes