Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I track distance when I am in a spin class?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

How do I track distance when I am in a spin class?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@BandQ your description of the problem reminds me of the XY problem.  Basically, we were not fully aware of what your problem really is and when we try to give you any solution then you give important details 😄 That's just small digression. Well, the distance measured by steps you obtaining during spinning will never match the spinning machine. Spinning is not step-based exercise and even if you get steps, the stride ( probably the walking stride ) won't guarantee the accurate distance computation. However, with a little bit of simple math, you could actually manually calibrate the stride. It's just a crazy idea but:

1) start exercise and stop when spinning machine shows lets say 1km or 1mile.

2) see how many extra steps you registered during this lap.

3) divide 1km ( or mile ) by a number of steps.

4) manually adjust your stride in the app to the result you received.

5) Start exercise again and see if such calibration worked, if so remember that number and use it every time you use this spinning machine.

Of course, still, the Spinning exercise doesn't have distance but I believe you would get the distance added to the daily stats. Still, I guess workaround with "Bike" exercise is simpler 😄

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Hi @BandQ Unfortunately it is not possible to track distance speed or cadence during spinning as the Ionic is not able to interface with any external sensors.

Tony | UK

Ionic, Versa 2, Charge 3 SE, Aria 2, Flyer, Note 9, Android 8.1, Windows 10

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BandQ Agree with what @Tony.r said. You may log your spinning class manually after tracking it as spinning. The problem is that you cannot type distance in the Spinning exercise when logged manually. As a workaround, you may log "Bike" for which you can input the distance. If you log "Bike" use values for starting time, duration and calories the same as the ones tracked by "Spinning" ( both exercises will overlap in terms of timeframe ). Enter the distance from the stationary bike. Delete tracked "Spinning". Eventually, you will have non-GPS "Bike" in your activity log with distance matching the spinning machine and other details matching removed tracked "Spinning" activity. Bit of a chore but not sure what else you could do except this workaround.

Best Answer

Thanks for sharing your thoughts @SunsetRunner sounds like a work around even it its a bit long winded.

Tony | UK

Ionic, Versa 2, Charge 3 SE, Aria 2, Flyer, Note 9, Android 8.1, Windows 10

Best Answer
Thanks. I knew someone out there would have a way, even though it’s convoluted.

Like most or all of you, I received 2 wrist bands with my Ionic. I use the shorter band on my wrist and have been strapping the longer band to my leg when I spin. Because it picks up my leg moving it gives me some steps/distance. It’s not as many distance as I know I have actually done, but I think I’ll continue this method rather than the work around but thank you very much for your thorough reply.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@BandQ your description of the problem reminds me of the XY problem.  Basically, we were not fully aware of what your problem really is and when we try to give you any solution then you give important details 😄 That's just small digression. Well, the distance measured by steps you obtaining during spinning will never match the spinning machine. Spinning is not step-based exercise and even if you get steps, the stride ( probably the walking stride ) won't guarantee the accurate distance computation. However, with a little bit of simple math, you could actually manually calibrate the stride. It's just a crazy idea but:

1) start exercise and stop when spinning machine shows lets say 1km or 1mile.

2) see how many extra steps you registered during this lap.

3) divide 1km ( or mile ) by a number of steps.

4) manually adjust your stride in the app to the result you received.

5) Start exercise again and see if such calibration worked, if so remember that number and use it every time you use this spinning machine.

Of course, still, the Spinning exercise doesn't have distance but I believe you would get the distance added to the daily stats. Still, I guess workaround with "Bike" exercise is simpler 😄

Best Answer
Thank you.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I know it's not necessary to add distance to a spinning workout. My Flex 2 doesn't recognize some activities, so i have to add them manually. When I register Spinning manually, the app asks to add a distance. Otherwise I cannot add this spinning workout. This is definitely a bug in the Fitbit android app. So, which distance do I register? I had a 50 minute workout, incl. Warm-up and cooling down. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fitbit app asks to add distance. I don't want it to, but otherwise i cannot log the activity 😞 

Best Answer
0 Votes