Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does built in GPS work?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So I'm thinking of purchasing the ionic over the versa 2 for the gps capabilities. 

Just curious HOW it works and why it's different. Does the watch need to be able to bounce a signal off of somewhere to report location? Or does it kinda just have the ability to record it in the device itself then when I get home it sorts the data into a readable measurement on the app? 

Basically what I'm getting at is...if I'm running alone...can my husband log into my fitbit account to see where I am? I think this would be a great added safety measure. 

Also. Let's say I'm out and I forget to "start run/walk" will it still show where I am? Like if I go for a walk and forget to track will it still recognize my location so I can see my distance?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

@Steph27C wrote:

So I'm thinking of purchasing the ionic over the versa 2 for the gps capabilities. 

Just curious HOW it works and why it's different. Does the watch need to be able to bounce a signal off of somewhere to report location? Yes Just like any other GPS

Or does it kinda just have the ability to record it in the device itself then when I get home it sorts the data into a readable measurement on the app? 

Basically what I'm getting at is...if I'm running alone...can my husband log into my fitbit account to see where I am? NO There are other GPS that do this but not Fitbit

I think this would be a great added safety measure. 

Also. Let's say I'm out and I forget to "start run/walk" will it still show where I am? Like if I go for a walk and forget to track will it still recognize my location so I can see my distance? NO

See the bold above

Also here is an article that might help

How to use GPS

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer