Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indoor track - Run or Treadmill?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

During the winter, I run at in indoor track where GPS signal is not likely.  Am I better off using the TREADMILL function or stick with RUN?

Pixel XL Oreo Ionic Airpods
Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

Hi @SimonRJ - Good question. you are correct, that you are not likely to get a GPS signal indoors. That said (and I haven't tried this myself yet), I think I would still select "Run". That way, the workout will be properly categorized. My only hesitation about that is the tracker constantly looking for a GPS signal may wear the battery down a bit, but I dough that would be significant. You can also allow the tracker to auto-detect your exercise. Let me know how you made out.

Best Answer

I think if you don't select any option it would automatically get categorized as "run". I haven't tested what happens if you select "Run" and no GPS is avlbl.

Best Answer

Hi, @SimonRJ,

I would say choose "run", as @Ozzie65, says because then your records will be correct.  (At least that would make the OCD part of me happy...)

If you know that for your winter runs GPS will not be available, you can turn off GPS for that particular "Exercise Shortcut" in your app.  On your app choose "Ionic", then "Exercise shortcuts" then "Run" and toggle GPS to OFF.  Be sure to sync your Ionic after you have made the change.

Anytime you want GPS to be available for a run you can always switch it back on again (and sync again).

I think this will save significant battery life as I believe searching for (non existent) GPS does indeed use considerable battery power.

BTW, as you probably know, when GPS is turned off your Fitbit will calculate your distance based on running stride length times number of steps.  So you might want to be sure that your running stride is carefully calibrated.  Instructions here .

I hope this helps!  Let us know how it goes.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

Also if you find it does drain the battery to much as its looking for GPS. You could use Workout mode. This will allow you to rename it to Run once it syncs

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SimonRJ  Just a thought -- the RUN feature will give you the single digit cardio fitness score instead of the range of numbers.  I don't know what will happen to your score if you run with the GPS off.

I think I would save my battery and just let it auto-detect my run.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LZeeW, the "Run" exercise will update your Cardio Fitness score ONLY if you use GPS so that is not relevant in the case of running in an indoor track where no GPS is available.

You will not need to use "workout" mode to save battery, as you can turn off GPS on "run" mode. as I mentioned above.  It is easy turn GPS on again any time you want it -- just sync your Ionic.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can use Run without GPS. Just tap the little gear in the top left before starting the exercise, and turn GPS off in the options.

Edit: oops, didn't see that @Julia_G had already suggested this.

Best Answer