Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic / Android Sync - intermittent issues

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Using Fitbit Ionic with a HTC 10 running Android 8.0.0. Official ROM, not rooted, fully legit! Also running latest Ionic firmware, and latest Fitbit app from the Play Store.

Now that I've set the scene, time for what's wrong.

I have my Fitbit app set for all day sync - however it does anything but sync all day. Let's start from a fresh setup. I'll add the Ionic device, go through the general setup process, and voila, all will be working and syncing. I'll go about my business during the day. Maybe it will last two or three days. Eventually though, I'll open up my Fitbit app and see that my Ionic hasn't synced with the app for a good few hours. 

After much troubleshooting, I actually found a workaround for this, and have an idea what may be causing it. At first, I followed advice from other forum threads, removing the Ionic from the app and setting up from fresh. After the third time doing this in two weeks, I got very fed up, and looked for other solutions. 

I found that the sync issue occurred intermittently when either my phone or Ionic (not sure which - could be both) changed networks. So for example, if my phone is connected to 4G, and I arrive home and it jumps onto wifi, I will lose the ability to sync. I can open the app and try manually syncing, but it will fail - it just can't connect to the Ionic. 

The fix I found was to close the app entirely from the Android task manager, then put the phone into airplane mode. After waiting about ten seconds, I switch airplane mode off, wait for the network connection to reestablish and open up the app, forcing a manual sync. After about two minutes, it will sync and then maintain the all day sync until the next time it decides to fail. 

I'm getting really fed up of having to find workarounds for this problem though. There is an issue with the Fitbit app locating the Ionic and syncing data. What plans are there to address this?

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

I had a look at the Supported Devices List but I cant see your phone on it. That could be the source of your problems.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Surely that can't be the answer, no way... the HTC 10 was HTC's flagship phone for 2016/2017. It's also running an officially supported version of Android. I note that that supported devices list you linked is missing a load of other recent releases - nothing after Samsung Galaxy S6 for example, or even Google's own Pixel 2. They say on their store page for the Ionic that it syncs to leading Android devices. If Google's own Pixel 2 isn't listed, which is as plain stock Android as you can get, then I think it's more a case of them not maintaining the list than not supporting those phones.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

I have the same issue. I just restart the watch and the phone, so it's sync just well after.

But it's true an update would be nice to avoid that bug!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@jameslee85 Welcome to the Fitbit Community! Thanks for reporting this situation with syncing. Also, thanks for sharing the workaround that helped you out.

There are some other steps you could also try if you happen to experience this syncing situation once again. I'd recommend checking those steps on this helpful article here@yoho

Also, the phone you are using is not listed under the supported devices. This might be the reason why you keep experiencing this. 

Have you tried syncing with a computer? 

Hope this helps. Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there,

I have the same problem with intermittent sync issues.

I've been an avid FitBit fan for years and I've now had the Ionic for 8 months. I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 - a compatible phone - and still have problems.

My first steps are to check for any app updates in the play store, then restart my phone.

If that fails I will turn bluetooth on and off on my phone and restart my FitBit.

If that fails, I then disconnect the device and set it up again. I hate doing that though as all the settings revert and it's a pain.

I literally just had to resync it this morning, so I tried the aeroplane trick and this worked for me too.

There must be a bug listed for this? It's been ongoing for so long!

Best Answer
0 Votes