Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic GPS Issue

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am having a weird issue when I am running. I have the run exercise mode running and I am running down then road. Every time I go through a specific spot on my route, the application vibrates and quits tracking my progress. I can restart it at that point and it does just fine. I will finish my run which involves me running back through the same spot going the other direction. It does not fail that time. The first few times this happened, I found it odd, but I have seen this happen enough times now to recognize a pattern. Is anyone else having this issue? Is there a known problem? Is there a fix? Help please. This is frustrating.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@fizch do you have auto-lap notifications enabled in the Exercise app? If so, it's a known issue that the Exercise app will crash at the first lap point (i.e. 1 mile). One workaround, that works for me and some others here, is to interact with the screen before reaching the first lap point.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

“The first few times this happened, I found it odd, but I have seen this happen enough times now to recognize a pattern. Is anyone else having this issue? Is there a known problem? Is there a fix? Help please. This is frustrating.”

Your device should not stop tracking on its own.  Mine crashed randomly and was deemed defective so was replaced in the first week.  Call Tech Support and get this documented with a case number.  They may troubleshoot but if your device still stops recording they might replace it or give you a refund.  That might be your fix.

There should be “zero tolerance” for paying good money for something that does not work properly.

You being frustrated should not acceptable in any way.  Having tracking or GPS working properly should be normal.  Not something special.  Compared to my other devices the Ionic has the weakest GPS accuracy.  Whether in wide open spaces or under tree cover.

Vote if this helps you at all and Vote if this is a solution to your issue [Current Leader in Ionic Forum with 15 Solutions + Thumbs Up 92]
Really there is no need to suffer in Frustration - simply call Tech Support at 877-623-4997 and get your Ionic replaced right now while you can
Many have followed this straightforward advice and now have a replacement Ionic - we all should have “zero tolerance” for any defective Ionic

Best Answer

@fizch do you have auto-lap notifications enabled in the Exercise app? If so, it's a known issue that the Exercise app will crash at the first lap point (i.e. 1 mile). One workaround, that works for me and some others here, is to interact with the screen before reaching the first lap point.

Best Answer

Thank you for this reply. Yes, I do have auto lap turned on. I have set for every 5 minutes to notify me. I will try this with my run tomorrow.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I really like my Ionic. I am not just going to throw a fit because of an issue with the software. I know that they are always pushing out updates, so there is a chance that they will find and fix the issue. I am developer so I understand that sometimes those things happen.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I haven't had correct GPS since I got the firmware update last month. It's so hilariously wrong that it shows my slowest mile as my fastest etc. Ridiculous!! And frustrating. It's not helping my training.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@fizch yes, software issues happen - but when they remain unfixed for more than a year it borders on unacceptable. These issues affect the core usability of the device as advertised. (Especially when it has been acknowledged by Fitbit)

Best Answer
0 Votes

@fizch and here's the problem. Fitbit doesn't bother with fixing issues. The changelogs never mention what's been fixed and issues which have been there for months are just shoved under the carpet. The last FW brought issues including bricking devices. Previous FW wasn't any better. In fact, it has been pulled quietly ( so I never had an option to update to it ). I'm a developer myself and I know bugs happen. There is no software that is totally perfect but what pisses me off is that Fitbit doesn't care to fix issues which break basic functionality ( the Exercise app is still crashing occasionally for me so I lose whole track of my workout, the issue's been there for several months ). Staying quiet, to the users, it looks like they do nothing to improve that. All that Fitbit mastered is replacing devices. That's one thing they do like no one else. Welcome to the world of Fitbit 🙂

Best Answer

the Exercise app is still crashing occasionally for me so I lose whole track of my workout, the issue's been there for several months”

jsr that is exactly the problem with my first watch.  But called them about it directly and was offered a replacement within a few minutes.  They checked my syncs and resets to new -> and could see my device was crashing randomly.  Person talked to a Tech offline for a minute and came back with the offer.  So would suggest you try that.  My replacement has not crashed since.

Guessing it may have to do with different internals and better assembly.  As the software and firmware were identical.  The build number was quite a bit different on the box.  So even if you replaced like a lot on here -> would ask for another.  Mine was a new one in a sealed retail box.  Anyways thought that might help your situation.

Vote if this helps you at all and Vote if this is a solution to your issue [Current Leader in Ionic Forum with 15 Solutions + Thumbs Up 92]
Really there is no need to suffer in Frustration - simply call Tech Support at 877-623-4997 and get your Ionic replaced right now while you can
Many have followed this straightforward advice and now have a replacement Ionic - we all should have “zero tolerance” for any defective Ionic

Best Answer
0 Votes

One workaround, that works for me and some others here, is to interact with the screen before reaching the first lap point.”

sf same applies to you.  Since getting this replacement the Exercise app works as expected.  No need to do any workarounds.  Fitbit has all the sync and exercise data -> so they can confirm it on the spot.  Mine was deemed defective on the basis that a factory reset to new did not rectify the problem.

So give them a call and see if a replacement will solve this for you.  My replacement so far has zero crashes after many Exercises with and without tapping or auto laps or manual laps.  With music and with GPS on.  Might be better for you as well.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am not just going to throw a fit because of an issue with the software. I know that they are always pushing out updates”

fiz if you have been following along check how many on this Help forum have problems.  Both software and hardware related.  The current 3.0 firmware update has caused bricking of many devices outside of warranty.  Many have expressed their displeasure.  Expecting an update to solve your problems might be a pipe dream.  Would suspect you need to wait for a very long time based on history.

Best Answer

Hi 

Having the same issue.

Best way to solve the problem 

is to buy a Garman watch.

Fitbit ionic is garbage with its GPS issue.

Makes a nice paper weight.

Best Answer
0 Votes

After my second ionic died that's exactly what I did. I am definitely happier with my garmin.

Best Answer
0 Votes