Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic: Ionic's step count is correct; apps mileage calculation isn't.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

On Saturdays, I get most of my steps on the treadmill.  The last few weeks I've noticed that what's showing up on the treadmill as 5.0+ miles and as 11,000+/- steps on my ionic is calculating in the app as less than 2.4 miles.  ???  I have my stride length set at 36.1", so the mileage should be something close to 6.3 miles.  Obviously I don't have a 14" stride when power walking at 4.5mph.  The problem is consistent regardless of which treadmill I'm using. 

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity 

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

When you are holding a treadmill hand rail, steps might not be detected because the arm is not swinging, as it does when walking, and fewer steps calculate to lower mileage.  If that is your problem, putting the tracker in a pocket or pinned to clothing probably gives good step count (and mileage), but at the expense of heart rate during that time.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello! Let me give you a warm welcome to our forums @75002r66, I'm also happy to see you again participating and helping users @JohnnyRow. I'm glad to assist with this concern.

Same as @JohnnyRow post, let me share with you that Fitbit devices can potentially miss steps when you're walking on a treadmill. We've determined that our devices will provide greatest accuracy if you use your Ionic clipped on their mid-section and walking at least 2 mph.

@JohnnyRow Thank you for your post and the information provided, I'm sure that your advise will help a lot of users here. 

Keep me posted, I'll be here. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Johnny,

My original post clearly stated that my step count is correct and that's not where the problem is.  My steps are being tracked correctly, but the app isn't converting those steps into miles correctly using the stride length that I've set.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ricardo,

Please do not edit my posts!  You completely changed the subject of the post from reflecting what my problem was to reflecting Johnny's reply even though Johnny clearly didn't understand the problem.

I have changed the subject back to the original post to reflect the actual problem which is that steps are being recorded CORRECTLY, but the app isn't converting the step count correctly into miles.

Again please do not edit my posts.

Thanks 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just had that happen to me today--I have my stride length set at 30.5 inches.  Ionic tracked 16660 steps.  I stopped when the treadmill reported 8.01 miles.  However, Ionic only reported 6.84 miles!  Ionic collected the data correctly and 16660 steps at 30.5 inches per step is 8.01 miles ( just what the treadmill reported when I hit the stop button!!)  Need to send that algorithm back to grade school. 

Best Answer
0 Votes