Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic OS Update; Exercise Button no longer works

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Last week (21 MAR 18), I tried to update my Fitbit Ionic to the new OS. After several attempts, it still has not taken; it always times out after 30-45 minutes of trying to update, with the status bar on my watch stopping between 50% and 75% complete. I have tried rebooting the watch (pressing left and bottom right buttons), having my phone forget the watch and then reinstalling/reconnecting the watch to the phone completely, and I have tried multiple wifi sources. The watch connects to wifi with no issues, but stops installing every time. Nothing seems to work. In addition, since I tried to update to the new OS, my Exercise button is dead. When I press it, it just takes me back to the Home screen and does not let me track any running or swimming activities. Is there anything else I can do, or do I need to get a new watch?

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

I finally got the update to complete, but my exercise button still does not work??? Sigh....my Ionic was working just fine before this update!!!

Best Answer

I’m having the exact problem. I still can’t get it to update. And the exercise button is still dead. When I exercised without using the exercise app, a message would periodically pop up saying “ sensing exercise “ but nothing beyond that happened. How did you get yours to update. I just got this as s gift for Christmas. This stinks. I had better luck with the Charge HR

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well I thought the update worked. I did it via Bluetooth overnight. The next morning it said the update was complete, however as of today it's still showing that I have a software update to download 😞

Best Answer
The same thing happened to me.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

The same thing happened to me.

Best Answer

My exercise button not working either.. Was working Saturday 7th April. I didn't wear the watch Sunday, and today I learnt the button is dead 

Best Answer
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

None of my side button works.  After reboot the left one works once or twice then no more response from it.  

I tried to reset to factory setting and didn't fix it.

Is it a known bug ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@acabal A bug shouldn't render your device unusable. Specially when it comes to responses to a physical interaction (like pressing the buttons or tapping on the screen).

I suggest you contact customer support.

狂乱 Hey Kids!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Are you getting any response when you press the buttons?  or just another app loading up?  

App Shortcut buttons:

-Top button–opens the app located in the top left of the first app screen. If you haven't reordered your apps, the Music app opens. 

-Bottom button–opens the app located in the bottom left of the first app screen. If you haven't reordered your apps, the Coach app opens.

To change the placement of an app, press and hold an app on Ionic until it's selected, and then drag it to a new location. You know the app is selected when it increases slightly in size and the watch vibrates.

if you are not receiving any response when you press/hold button, please reach out to support.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

After several rounds with Fitbit Help on Twitter, finally figured out if you just reset to factory settings and do the upload of the new OS, and my Exercise button is working now. 

Best Answer
0 Votes