Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic and Tattoos HR Sensor

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This question has probably been answered, but just wanted to check the most up to date answer. I’ve been through some trackers and the only one which works over my tattoos (both hands and wrists) is the Charge 2. I’ve had to return the Versa, so I thought I’d try the Ionic. It’s my final attempt before sticking with the Charge 2. Anyone know if the HR works over tattoos for this device?  I’m on iOS. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hello @FitnessPassion and a warm welcome.  The answer will depend on your tattoos.  Let me give you a "how this stuff works" explanation.  The heart rate sensor has and light emitter and two sensors.  The light goes just a few millimeters and is reflected back.  The sensor is looking for blood flow in tiny blood vessels under the skin.  Tattoo ink is deposited in that SAME layer of the skin.  The ink interferes with the whole emitting/sensing process.

The emitter and sensors are larger on the Ionic than on the Versa/Charge 2 and they are arranged differently.  Whether it will work or not depends on your ink.  The answer is maybe.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

Hello @FitnessPassion and a warm welcome.  The answer will depend on your tattoos.  Let me give you a "how this stuff works" explanation.  The heart rate sensor has and light emitter and two sensors.  The light goes just a few millimeters and is reflected back.  The sensor is looking for blood flow in tiny blood vessels under the skin.  Tattoo ink is deposited in that SAME layer of the skin.  The ink interferes with the whole emitting/sensing process.

The emitter and sensors are larger on the Ionic than on the Versa/Charge 2 and they are arranged differently.  Whether it will work or not depends on your ink.  The answer is maybe.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer

Thanks @LZeeW  This helps somewhat with regard to the sensor and emitter being larger on the Ionic than the Versa model. I shall give it a go. Hopefully I’ll update with good news! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@FitnessPassion  If you are going to give it a try, get your Ionic from Fitbit.  Fitbit has a 45 day, no questions asked return policy.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

Cheers @LZeeW , I’ve ordered from Fitbit. Fingers crossed. 

Best Answer