Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic counts steps while sitting on my desk

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Well today i went out and left my ionic sitting on my desk recharging get back home and go to put in on and notice it says I have done 16,000 steps+.

well I no when I have walked and counted my steps the ionic is always was more steps, ie walk 100 steps Ionic says 147.

Please can this be fixed. or is mine just broken, my wife has one aswell and she seems to have the same issue. 

Is there a fix coming or should we just return them as faulty?

Moderator edit: subject updated for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@ArieFitriadin @Gunna Welcome to the Fitbit Community.

I would recommend checking out if there is any electrical appliance issuing vibrations near your Fitbit Ionic. Your tracker might record those vibrations as steps. Try putting your Tracker in a different place and see if the issue gets resolved. If necessary, you can negate the extra data by following these instructions.

If you consider that your Ionic is recording too many steps when taking a walk, change your Handedness. Go to the online Dashboard Settings > Devices > Handedness. The dominant wrist setting decreases the sensitivity of step counting. Additionally, you can restart your Ionic by following these steps:

1. Press and hold the back (left) and bottom buttons until you see the Fitbit logo on the screen. This should take less than 10 seconds.
  2. Let go of the buttons.

Let me know how it goes.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Yes, seriously it happen to me too.

This is my first experience with fitbit product,

When I woke up in the morning , I put my ionic on my desk, and saw the steps already 16000 .. why fitbit ?? 

It is a bug ?

Best Answer

@ArieFitriadin @Gunna Welcome to the Fitbit Community.

I would recommend checking out if there is any electrical appliance issuing vibrations near your Fitbit Ionic. Your tracker might record those vibrations as steps. Try putting your Tracker in a different place and see if the issue gets resolved. If necessary, you can negate the extra data by following these instructions.

If you consider that your Ionic is recording too many steps when taking a walk, change your Handedness. Go to the online Dashboard Settings > Devices > Handedness. The dominant wrist setting decreases the sensitivity of step counting. Additionally, you can restart your Ionic by following these steps:

1. Press and hold the back (left) and bottom buttons until you see the Fitbit logo on the screen. This should take less than 10 seconds.
  2. Let go of the buttons.

Let me know how it goes.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Resetting seems to have fixed the issue, thanks.

Also noticed that with the latest update the watch steps are far more accurate. counted number of steps on my walk (only about 600m) and the fitbit ionic showed only 4 steps more than I counted. 

Am very happy now, Thanks for the help

Best Answer

Isn't that a good thing? Free steps!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, it work . Thanks 

And after update, way more accurate

Also don't put ionic near to like  constant buzzing device 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I factory reset my Fitbit ionic yesterday bc it was not counting steps at all. Now today I and in bed and my arm is laying flat on the bed, I am seriously being like a stone statue and the step count is going up by about 2-4 steps per sec. What can I do to fix this bc I have tried restarting, shutting down, and factory resetting but nothing has worked...

Best Answer

Same with mine. It’s like walking in my sleep. Have not resolved this issue after several shutdowns and resetting.

Best Answer

My new Inspire is the same way!! One thread recommended a restart and I did that and changed some of the settings. 

I’m sitting here and just sitting in the recliner for 15 min it’s counted 73 steps.

If this is how it’s going to be I’m going to return it. I want to know what my count TRULY is! My iPhone counts better than this thing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes