Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic distance accuracy issue

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I got an Ionic that I'm really loving in most ways, but I seem to be having issues with the GPS.

It usually takes a pretty long time to connect (several minutes), even if I'm connecting at the exact spot where I was last connected. I'm not sure if this is just the way it goes?

However, the more annoying thing is that it miscalculates the distance on runs and bike rides, sometimes by almost half. Yesterday I biked the same distance twice (to a place and back home) and registered it as a workout. My ionic put the trip there at 7.6 km, and then the trip home at 12.4, though it was literally the exact same distance, and the map shows the exact same route. I've also had similar things happen on runs, but then it seemed that my GPS kept disconnecting (so my route was off when I looked at the map after, which didn't seem to be the case for this bike ride).

Does anyone know what the issue might be, and how I could try to correct it?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @Trashxcrusader, welcome to the Community Forums!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and for the details that were shared in your post, I understand how frustrating this matter can be for you. Our Support team informed me that they already provided you assistance to resolve this situation. That said, I recommend you to contact them back if you require further assistance or if you have any additional questions about the outcome of your case.

I'll be here if you need anything else.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Ionic seems to be very erratic at the moment.

Distance accuracy is varying wildly. Can anyone explain this to me please. With accuracy this poor the watch seems fairly worthless.

9FD3E119-B44F-46AA-8E4A-86CB971C80D0.png

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer

Hi there @Trashxcrusader. Welcome to Community Forums.

I'd suggest you connect the GPS in an open area and avoid using roads that have many threes, buildings or tall objects, as these can interfere with the GPS signal and this can cause these mismatches.

Also I want to inform you that this specific device is currently under recall. For more information about our voluntary Safety Recall of Fitbit Ionic Smartwatches, please visit our webpage at help.fitbit.com/ionic. I am going to close this thread to keep the Community organized.

Have a nice day.

Best Answer
0 Votes