Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic failed to record activities correctly

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi,

I did a 3.2 km, 1.2km and end with a workout just now. However, the 1.2km run and workout were missing.

I had made sure that i was connected to gps for the run and also saved all three activities, however, the latter two activities were not in, despite the steps and all day heart rate were recorded. 

The watch seems to be incompetent in syncing subsequent activities. Appreciate for the assistance pls.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Chingyq wrote:

I have solved the problem...

Disable receiving notification during exercise solved the issue.

@Chingyqwrote:

Hi @emili, I have attempted twice, first time there was no problem-all 3 activities, 2 runs and a workout were perfectly sync to my fitbit app. It happened on the second attempt which is a week later. 

Hi There - sorry to re-open this conversation, but I am having exactly the same issues.  My Ionic will just randomly discard my activities and drop out of tracking mode, go back top normal clock mode. 

So you are saying it is caused by receiving notifications or a phone call whilst recording an activity?

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
14 REPLIES 14

It's great to see you here @Chingyq! While reading your post I was wondering if you tracked your activities directly from your Ionic or you let your SmartTrack to do it? 

Note that when you manually start an activity from your Ionic, these activities override any SmartTrack activities during the same time period. In this instance I'd recommend making sure that any manually started activity via the exercise app on the Ionic is completed before starting a new activity using SmartTrack. 

Hope this helps! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

so in your activity it reads that you did a 4.4 KM or greater (depending on what you workout was)- meaning it captured it as all one thing. If you did elect to track it manually and did not end each activity, then it is working as it should. If however, you did not manually track the activity and it didn't record the latter two- then that's an issue which may be caused more by the sync than the tracker recording. I have had that happen. If it is not a completed sync, I don't see the activity although I see the steps and calories. Once I force the sync and it completes properly- it is all there.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @MarreFitbit, i used ionic to track my activity as I dont carry mobile phone while exercising. 

I think there's a similar bug posted by others. It might be due to active notification that could have interfered with the tracking. I recalled my ionic had some notifications which i did not clear before the run.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @emili, I have attempted twice, first time there was no problem-all 3 activities, 2 runs and a workout were perfectly sync to my fitbit app. It happened on the second attempt which is a week later. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

So i've had my Ionic since christmas, a month now...and this has happened to me twice now. I always do a weight session as one workout, end it, then do some sort of cardio afterwards. the first time it failed to record my stair climber workout. This morning it failed to record my run. Both times it showed me the summary, and i click done and everything seems fine. it gives me my stats. but when i go to sync, the workouts are missing. what gives?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do the exact same thing. Gym workout followed by 45 minutes of cardio. I end my strength workout ,save it and than 2 minutes  later start my cardio. It works seamlessly and without fail. The only difference is I use a Garmin. It also counts my sets and reps in the strength workouts

Best Answer
0 Votes

how is this relevant? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Because you still have time to return it

Best Answer
0 Votes
why are you even on the Fitbit page if you use a Garmin?
and do some research buddy, just as many issues exist with Garmin. Just because you haven't experienced problems yet, don't mean it won't happen.
I may never experience another issue again, it could have easily been user error on my part, network/wifi issues at the gym.
If you can't contribute anything to solving the issue, why waste your time? my time?
If Garmin's are so superior, why do i know so many cyclists that have issues with them?
You're a tool.....go play in traffic.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@ThomasWW wrote:
why are you even on the Fitbit page if you use a Garmin?
and do some research buddy, just as many issues exist with Garmin. Just because you haven't experienced problems yet, don't mean it won't happen.
I may never experience another issue again, it could have easily been user error on my part, network/wifi issues at the gym.
If you can't contribute anything to solving the issue, why waste your time? my time?
If Garmin's are so superior, why do i know so many cyclists that have issues with them?
You're a tool.....go play in traffic.

I am sorry if I offended you-- I have been a loyal fitbit user for 6 years,from the one to the charge to the surge to the charge 2 and the Ionic. I recently switched to Garmin because I  personally feel the Ionic is

a piece of crap. Just lok at these forums FILLED with complaints about it. While the Garmin may have problems, there problems are nothing like this, and if you DO have problem, their representatives are on the forums to help them. I realise my posts don't help you and your specific problems but I feel fitbit could care less about their problems with their products or customers. Anyhow, I will never post on these forums again and I again apologise if I offended you---Good luck with your fitbit going forward.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Chingyq wrote:

Best Answer
0 Votes
That's great! So far my GPS has had no issues connecting, or staying connected. It's more accurate than the GPS that's in my smartphone actually.
I've seen the recommendations about resetting, and it seems to give results. I've done 58 workouts since December 26, and only 2 failed to sync afterwards, so that's a 96.6% success rate. Obviously for a $300 product, that should be closer to 100%.
I was trying to see if maybe i was doing something wrong, or maybe someone else was having the same experience, whereas everything synced properly on their home network, but failed on another one. I'm still a little confused as to how the connections even work. It's connected to my home WIFI, and then to my phone's bluetooth. My phone is then either connected to my home WIFI, the gym's, work's, or it's on the cell network. So if any of those didn't have a connection at the time of ending a workout, would the data be lost?
 What would happen if i left my phone at home, ran 4 miles, ended the workout, and then ran back without starting a run. would the run still be saved and then transferred once a sync was performed? If that's the case, and it wouldn't matter if i was close to a network connection, then that'd would mean that it was 100% an issue with the Ionic not saving. That's what i'm trying to determine.
The last thing i need to see is some dude saying return it and go buy this instead. ALL products will have issues, and these issues can be corrected when people contribute constructive input.
If your only contribution is "oh it sucks, go buy this instead", then the issues can never be corrected in future firmware updates, or hardware improvements on future models.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Chingyq wrote:

@Chingyqwrote:

Hi There - sorry to re-open this conversation, but I am having exactly the same issues.  My Ionic will just randomly discard my activities and drop out of tracking mode, go back top normal clock mode. 

So you are saying it is caused by receiving notifications or a phone call whilst recording an activity?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Chingyq wrote:

@Chingyqwrote:

I tested this.   When outside on a run an bike activity, I got someone to send me messages.   The message notifications were received, but it did not affect the activity.   So for me, notification settings are not the problem.  My device is randomly dropping out of activity tracking and discarding the exercise

Best Answer
0 Votes