Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic floor counting accuracy

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Ionic counted my motorcycle ride as climbing 88 floors and threw my stats waaay off for the day. Previous Charge 2 never had this issue. Will this be an issue when driving a car as well?? Fitbit pleas have updated firmware soon! My ionic mostly works but so many bugs, considering sending back. 

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Best Answer
63 REPLIES 63

So this morning I did my morning workout which consists of Aerobics/Walking and the steps were accurate, though I noticed the Ionic is super sensitive and tracks the slightest movement so probably adds some extra steps...but the major off counts were stairs! I have two flights of stairs inside my 3 story townhouse. I went up one set of the stairs twice, and down them twice. My dashboard is showing 21 flights of stairs!!! I wish I had really done 21 flights of stairs but no...and I don't like getting credit for what I haven't done. My workout this morning consisted of lots of arm movements including arms up over head etc and it counted it as floors I guess. I also noticed I can just be doing walking or do fast arm movements like speed bag and within seconds/under a minute heart rate jumps to peak zone. There is no way my heart rate goes from low fat burning zone or even cardio zone to peak that fast. Will there be any updates to make the Ionic track more accurate, or something we can change in the settings? I want the stats to be as close to realistic as possible.

Dawn
Best Answer

On my Ionic, I walked up 4 flights of steps at home, at work, I'm over 8 flights (office is on the 2nd floor, and I've walked up the stairs several times, including one trek up to the 3rd floor) and my IONIC states I've only walked up 4 flights all day. Is this a calibration issue???

Best Answer

I am having the same issue. Please post an answer!!!

Best Answer

This is what I just did and it worked:  I reset the watch by pressing left button and right bottom button, then I let the watch sync to my phone.  Finally after looking at the community board for about a minute I tried going up the stairs again and now is tracking stairs!  What's great is that even when you reset your watch your exercise/step data stays.

Best Answer

What's weird is that mine is tracking stairs/floors for the past few dayd and I haven't did any.

Best Answer

I notice today that my charge HR (going back and forth from Iconic, Surge and HR) which is normally reliable with tracking stairs, gave me extra stairs today. I know I had a legit 5-8 stairs but after I ran 6 miles on a treadmill with zero incline, I now have 22 stairs. 

Also so my Iconic has some of the most outrageous HR readings. It has said I’m at 190 and I have never been close to that zone on any Fitbit device or heart rate device. Maybe resetting it will help, but to spend 299 on a product you would expect accuracy to be much closer. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have you gotten it wet at all?

Underneath one of the bands is a port hole for the barometer. See if there's any moisture in there, as that can throw off any fitness tracker. 

Additionally, depending their algorithm, floor tracking can be finicky. Samsung's algorithm (from what I can tell and know) consisted of tracking X amount of "steps taken" in time Y with a change of barometric pressure over Z. That seemed all fine and dandy, until you realize that most buildings have half flight staircases, so my Gear Fit2 would never count a flight on a half flight staircase (where you go up, turn on a landing, and go up again) as the Y threshold was too short to link the events.

I'm seeing similar behavior with my Ionic. So it might be an algorithm issue.

As for the others posting about abnormal high readings, I'd recommend doing a full reset and testing (verify barometer port is dry). If it continues, get it swapped out and see if the problem is fixed. That could be a failing barometer. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The main sales pitch about the Ionic is that it can get wet. If getting wet makes functionality/reliability an issue then FitBit falsely advertised the Ionic as an activewear item. 

Best Answer

This worked for me, too. Resetting/Restarting (Left/Lower-Right button's held). I know these quirks will be worked out as time goes by, but for this price, I expected much more. (But I love the Ionic over my Blaze).

Best Answer

Same thing happens with my ionic!! There needs to be a way to manually correct errors when this happens!

i haven’t climbed any floors and it says I’ve climbed over 20.

Best Answer

My Ionic is counting floors I am not climbing- Blaze never did this. Any fix soon?

Best Answer

Same issue here while Biking.

A 5 km bike ride with an elevation gain of 160 meters added 7 floors to the counter and appr. 1000 steps.

Fitbit Ionic, iPhone SE, Using Strava - Bike rides and rowing
Best Answer

Put me on the list.

If it's difficult to distinguish between a ride with a scooter and actually climbing stairs, there needs to be an option on the watch to turn tracking off temporarily.

Best Answer

A simple setting enabling you to disable the counter during a given exercise would sort it out.

Fitbit Ionic, iPhone SE, Using Strava - Bike rides and rowing
Best Answer

I am having the same problem.  I have one set of stairs in my home and and represents exactly one set of stairs in the IONIC.  Meaning when I climb it, I get a 1 in my watch.  However, it often freeze and no matter haw many times I climb those stairs, it remains the same on my watch.  I do a shut down on my watch and normally it starts adding stairs again.  But not always.

This happens every day, at least once.  

I am assuming this is a software but (if it was hardware, restarting the watch would not change anything.  So I home there is a fix coming soon.

Best Answer

The only "fix" for now is to chronically restart the device. Hopefully, they patch this soon! It's beyond frustrating considering the hefty price tag of the Ionic.

Best Answer

I am willing to give them a break.  Everyone of these watches comes out with some bugs.  This is not a huge one.  Everything works great after some issues with the initial set-up with my phone.

The reason I am bringing this glitch up is that FITBIT has many brain teasers that work on me, like trying to get every objective green in a day.  So its bugging me not to be able to get those stairs green...  A bit due to my OCD I guess... 

Best Answer
I returned mine. It wasn’t worth 299.00 if it was that inaccurate. Plus it told me I had a 202 bpm. Not

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Hi community,

so would appreciate some feedback on this if anyone has an answer.

So today while at work, i walked about approximately 30mins and my ionic counted about 3800 steps which is fine, but what surprised me is that is said i climbed 18floors!! I did not climb any stairs that day, i have only used the lift once to go sown to the parking and that was only 1 floor.

does the ionic count floors which is equivalent to the amount of walking i have done or is there something wrong with my watch?

would appreciate any feedback.

cheers

Best Answer
0 Votes