Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic is counting steps while driving and sleeping

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just had purchase the fitbit ionic and it is counting steps whole driving and sleeping. I had seen that it count almost 600 stepz each time I drive around 3-5 km and this is disgusting. And guys just don't suggest to use drivebit app. I have not invested my money this watch to do this stuffs manually. And even MI band 2 which just cost 1300INR  can  ignore the steps while sleeping and driving then why ionic can not do it by own

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

It's nice to see you around the forums @Neelkasnara! I totally understand your point, thank you for the thorough feedback for the Fitbit devices. Fitbit has been designed to provide motivation and help you to reach your daily goals to success. Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on that feedback.

Also, If it was on a surface with something that was buzzing or vibrating, like a fan for example; that may have tracked those steps. Remember that the wrist trackers count steps depending on the movement of your arms, when you are driving or for example when your tracker is close to a fan, your tracker counts steps due to the vibrations. You can learn more about how your Fitbit tracks steps by checking the article: How accurate are Fitbit devices?

If after taking these factors into account you still think your tracker is significantly overcounting steps, please try a step test:

1. Put your wrist-based tracker on your wrist or put your clip-on tracker on your hip or torso.
2. Walk 100 steps, making sure to count a step each time one of your feet hits the ground.
3. Pause, then check your tracker to see your step count.

As you know, there are 3 ways you can prevent this:

1. You can plug your tracker into the charging cable while you are driving -- the Fitbit will not count steps while it is charging.  

2. If you have a compatible Android or iOS device you can download an app called DriveBit while will automatically create a driving activity for you and eliminate the steps

3. You can log the driving manually by following the steps in this article

An add 'Driving Mode' feature for the trackers is suggested by @MacWade on this Feature Suggestion. You can vote for the idea and add your comments. Our product team looks forward to reading and incorporating your suggestions into future versions of Fitbit trackers and apps. Smiley Very Happy

I'll be around if you need further assistance! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

@MarreFitbit if i have, to do it manually then why i have purchased 22000 INR watch. This is ridiculous. I am returning the watch and also will not, suggest anyone to buy it. This does not worth the money. Totally disappointed by fitbit. 😑

Best Answer

It is ridulous at $329, one of the most expensive trackers on the market can count steps a curately. I was given a $35 Amazfit for free as part of a sleep study for Stanford and it kept better more accurate step counts that the Ionic does. The other day I jumped in the car at about 6400 steps and in less that 4km I'd reached my daily goal of 7500 steps, fireworks and all. I don't buy that it can't track speed because of GPS battery concerns. If it's counting steps it thinks I'm walking and should should be accessing the GPS. Which in turn should be able to determine speed. Seems pretty simple and explains why the people who work the furthest from the office continually win challenges etc... Again at $329 I should not have to install extra apps or manually turn stuff off and on. Especially when my Amazfit Arc can do it at $35. Ridiculous! 

Best Answer
0 Votes