Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic is not syncing periodically to iPhone 7 Plus

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, my Fitbit has sync problem with my iPhone 7plus every day, it seems to me that the ionic looses connection with my phone every single day and i have to do a reset on the Fitbit every day! This is very frustrating.

Beside that the sleep tracker does not seem to work properly, every time i check my phone on the data then it take the time i check minute 1 minute to display my wake up time, though i do wake up at least 20 to 30 minutes before that.

any support please?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The "connected" message appears if you're using the Windows 10 computer. If this is the case, check the following:

• The most recent version of the Fitbit app for Windows 10 is installed.
  • Fitbit Connect software isn't installed.

This software helps computers that can't run the Fitbit app for Windows 10 communicate with a device, so if you've had a Fitbit device for a while or someone else who uses the computer had one you may have Fitbit Connect installed. Look for an icon with the Fitbit logo near the date and time on your computer screen. If you see this icon, uninstall Fitbit Connect using the same process for uninstalling any program.

• Bluetooth is turned on. Bluetooth allows your computer to communicate with your Fitbit device. To verify, go to Start > Settings > Bluetooth. If you can't find this setting and don't know whether your computer supports Bluetooth, this blog explains how to check for Bluetooth compatibility. 
  • If your computer doesn't support Bluetooth, it can still communicate with your device if you purchase a wireless sync dongle from the Fitbit Store.

If your device still won't sync, try these steps:

1. From the Start menu go to Settings > Bluetooth. Make sure you see your device on the list with the word “Connected” below.
  2. If your device isn't connected:
    1. Tap or click the device name and choose Remove Device.
    2. Make sure your device is nearby and wait for it to reappear in the devices list.
    3. When it does, tap or click the device again and choose Pair. The pairing process can take several minutes but when it's done the Bluetooth status should change to “Connected.”
  3. If your device is connected but won't sync, it's possible your computer's Bluetooth signal is weak or temporarily compromised. Try using the wireless sync dongle, available from the Fitbit Store.
  4. If your Fitbit device won't sync after you reinstall the app, log in to your Fitbit account on a different phone, tablet, or computer and try to sync.
  5. If your Fitbit device still doesn’t sync, remove all other Fitbit devices from your account and from the list of connected Bluetooth devices on your computer and try to sync.

If  you're using only the iPhone in order to sync, please send me a screen shot showing your phone's Bluetooth devices list section.

Looking forward to your response @linhnguyen.

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
14 REPLIES 14

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @linhnguyenIf your device is paired to the Fitbit app, it syncs every time you open the app. If you turn on All-Day sync it also syncs periodically throughout the day. If you sync your device with a computer and Fitbit Connect, it syncs automatically every 15 to 30 minutes when the Fitbit device and computer are nearby, and the dongle is plugged in, if applicable.

To manually sync your device, with your device nearby, open the Fitbit app and find the picture of your device on the Fitbit app dashboard.

Since you're having syncing issues, I'd like you to make sure that your Fitbit Ionic is still connected to your Fitbit account. Maybe the tracker got unpaired and that's why it's not syncing? Also, check if the tracker is still appearing on the phone's Bluetooth settings. Smiley Wink

Keep in mind that a syncing difficulties may be caused by a missing requirement. Check the following:

• The latest version of the Fitbit app is installed on your phone. 
  • The software on your iPhone is up to date. To check, tap Settings > General > Software Update.
  • The Bluetooth setting on your iPhone is on. To check, tap Settings > Bluetooth.
  • Your iPhone isn't managing other Bluetooth connections.
  • If you use more than one device to sync, make sure the other device isn't nearby
  • Your Fitbit device's battery isn't critically low.
  • The firmware on your Fitbit device is up to date as described in How do I update my Fitbit device?

If your device still won't sync, try these steps:

1. Force quit the Fitbit app. For instructions see the Apple help article.
  2. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn Bluetooth off and back on.
  3. Open the Fitbit app.
  4. If your Fitbit device didn't sync, restart your iPhone. For instructions see the Apple help article.
  5. Open the Fitbit app.
  6. If your Fitbit device didn't sync, restart it
  7. If your Fitbit device won't sync after the restart, log in to your Fitbit account on a different phone, tablet, or computer and try to sync.
  8. If your Fitbit device still doesn’t sync, remove all other Fitbit devices from your account and from the list of connected Bluetooth devices on your iPhone and try to sync.

Also, check this helpful article for more details about this. 

Give this a go and let me know the outcome! 

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback

Actually i try and done all the suggested steps as above after doing so many research for tips/instructions from Fitbit community and guidelines. Luckily that every time i do a restart (step 6 - as you suggested - after trying 5 prior steps with no luck) my phone can detect and sync data right away. So that's the action that i have to do every day, that makes me frustrated.

Best Answer
0 Votes

i realize that another issue that i reported which is sleep tracker issue was deleted, why?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back @linhnguyen! Do you have the All-Day-sync option turned on? Otherwise, you'll need to manually sync your tracker by hitting the option that says "Syn Now".

As per the description of your post, it seems that the sleep has to do with the syncing inconveniences you're having. Syncing issues may mess up with other data that is not just steps. Have you try syncing with another device to see if you're also having syncing difficulties?

Autodetection is based on your movement. When you haven’t moved for about an hour, your device assumes that you’re asleep. Additional data—such as the length of time your movements are indicative of sleep behavior (such as rolling over, etc.)—help confirm that you’re asleep. Morning movement tells your tracker that you’re awake. If you’re not moving but not asleep for long periods of time it’s possible for your tracker to falsely record sleep, in which case you can delete the sleep log from your history.

Hope this clarifies your question.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, but i believe before pressing "Sync now" my phone has to be in "connected mode" with my Ionic, which is not the case. That's why i have to do reset so that my phone can connect to the Ionic and do a sync.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation on the sleeping mode

Best Answer
0 Votes

The "connected" message appears if you're using the Windows 10 computer. If this is the case, check the following:

• The most recent version of the Fitbit app for Windows 10 is installed.
  • Fitbit Connect software isn't installed.

This software helps computers that can't run the Fitbit app for Windows 10 communicate with a device, so if you've had a Fitbit device for a while or someone else who uses the computer had one you may have Fitbit Connect installed. Look for an icon with the Fitbit logo near the date and time on your computer screen. If you see this icon, uninstall Fitbit Connect using the same process for uninstalling any program.

• Bluetooth is turned on. Bluetooth allows your computer to communicate with your Fitbit device. To verify, go to Start > Settings > Bluetooth. If you can't find this setting and don't know whether your computer supports Bluetooth, this blog explains how to check for Bluetooth compatibility. 
  • If your computer doesn't support Bluetooth, it can still communicate with your device if you purchase a wireless sync dongle from the Fitbit Store.

If your device still won't sync, try these steps:

1. From the Start menu go to Settings > Bluetooth. Make sure you see your device on the list with the word “Connected” below.
  2. If your device isn't connected:
    1. Tap or click the device name and choose Remove Device.
    2. Make sure your device is nearby and wait for it to reappear in the devices list.
    3. When it does, tap or click the device again and choose Pair. The pairing process can take several minutes but when it's done the Bluetooth status should change to “Connected.”
  3. If your device is connected but won't sync, it's possible your computer's Bluetooth signal is weak or temporarily compromised. Try using the wireless sync dongle, available from the Fitbit Store.
  4. If your Fitbit device won't sync after you reinstall the app, log in to your Fitbit account on a different phone, tablet, or computer and try to sync.
  5. If your Fitbit device still doesn’t sync, remove all other Fitbit devices from your account and from the list of connected Bluetooth devices on your computer and try to sync.

If  you're using only the iPhone in order to sync, please send me a screen shot showing your phone's Bluetooth devices list section.

Looking forward to your response @linhnguyen.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same issue where my recently purchased Fitbit Ionic is not always synced to my iPhone 7 Plus. It's aggravating to have to continuously reboot one or the other and restart everything every two days. Please let me know if there is another way. I'm frustrated at this point.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've tried everything, none of them works except for restarting the ionic. But i found the issue happens after the phone connects to another device via Bluetooth. 

Best Answer

Thanks for jumping in here @Oranaise! Have you tried the troubleshooting steps I've shared here? I noticed that you've contacted our Customer Support TeamSmiley Very Happy If you keep having the syncing issues, please follow the instructions they give you over the phone, they'll be more than glad to assist! 

Sorry to hear that you're still having syncing difficulties @linhnguyen. As I've mentioned above, if your phone is managing multiple Bluetooth connections simultaneously:

• Your Fitbit device might stop syncing or stop receiving notifications.
  • You can experience interruptions with any consistently streaming Bluetooth connection such as headsets, car kits, stereo audio, tethering, and file transfers.

These interruptions are typically caused by operating system and Bluetooth limitations. It's also possible that an app on your phone is causing the issue.

If you have an Android phone, try these steps:

1. Turn off the Always Connected option in the Fitbit app.
  2. Disable other Bluetooth connections when not in use.
  3. Check to see if your phone has an app compatible with Ford Motor Company's voice control system. If so, disable Bluetooth on the app if possible or uninstall it.

The API used in these apps makes it difficult for Fitbit to communicate reliably with your phone. Ford provides a list of apps but note that other companies may use the API as well.

Your device has a Bluetooth "bond" with the phone or tablet that sends the notifications. This bond prevents the Fitbit device from syncing with another phone, tablet, or computer.

To quickly and temporarily disable the bond, turn off Bluetooth on your phone or tablet. You can turn it back on later to resume syncing.

If you no longer use notifications, remove the bond:

1. Go to Settings > Bluetooth on your phone or tablet  to see a list of associated Bluetooth devices. This list might contain only your Fitbit device or also include devices like wireless speakers, headsets, etc.
  2. Tap the name of your Fitbit device and choose "Forget This Device" or "Disconnect" (exact language will differ depending on your operating system).

I'll be around if you need further assistance! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi MarreFitbit, 

I am using iPhone 7plus, as stated in the thread title, not Android phone. And the issue is not about when i am using another Bluetooth device simultaneously. It happens after i use another Bluetooth device and then disconnect that device from my phone, then the ionic can not be connected to the phone anymore. And i have tried thousand times, thousand ways with no luck except for rebooting the watch. Sorry but i start loosing my patience and thinking about selling the ionic. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Let's try to remove your tracker from the phone's Bluetooth settings. So, please go to the Bluetooth settings on your phone and remove the tracker. In the list of Bluetooth devices you'll see the Ionic and next to it, this symbol "!". Hit the symbol and it will take you to the next step, once you're there select the option that says "Forget this device".

Once you've made sure about that, go back to the Fitbit app, go to the "Account" option in the upper right corner and select "Set up a Device". This should start the setup process for your device. Smiley Very Happy

Test your Ionic and let me know if the syncing issue persists @linhnguyen

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did try that, and when i try to setup the device again, it can not find my fitbit ionic, then i reboot the ionic and it works again 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for letting me know about this @linhnguyen! By any chance, can you use another compatible device or computer to see if you're also experiencing syncing issues like on your iPhone?

Looking forward to your response! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, i will try that. Anyway now i have to reboot the Ionic everyday, even twice a day. Not sure why this happens, i don't even have another Bluetooth device connected to my phone from the first to 2nd reboot 😞 

Best Answer
0 Votes