Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic not starting/installing

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi all, I have just bought a Fitbit Ionic for my wife and we haven't had any joy with it yet. We have synced the FitBit to a Samsung Galaxy J3 and started the initial setup. We then started a Firmware update but the installation phase failed. The Fitbit then just started to slowly flash the update/diamond logo and was no longer visible on Bluetooth and was completely unresponsive. We spoke to the online support gurus who talked us through a factory reset - this was "incomplete" but at least the FitBit was then visible as  a Bluetooth device again. We started the initial set-up again (after restarting phones etc) but the initial setup fails repeatedly at the installation phase (step 3/3) and the FitBit reverts to the non-responsive flashing... We haven't actually seen the FitBit do anything other than its initial welcome message and the flashing and are thinking about just taking it back for a refund/giving up with it. Has anyone got any ideas or had similar problems?

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

“We haven't actually seen the FitBit do anything other than its initial welcome message and the flashing and are thinking about just taking it back for a refund/giving up with it. Has anyone got any ideas or had similar problems?”

If this occurs in a brand new device after a factory reset -> yeah take it back for a refund.

You are in for a lot of pain otherwise one would suspect.  Read thru some threads here.  If you really want -> get a new one and try again.  FYI Fitbit sent me a replacement Ionic after about a week.  So that might tell you something about the reliability of this device.

Vote if this helps you at all and Vote if this is a solution to your issue [Current Leader in Ionic Forum with 15 Solutions + Thumbs Up 92]
Really there is no need to suffer in Frustration - simply call Tech Support at 877-623-4997 and get your Ionic replaced right now while you can
Many have followed this straightforward advice and now have a replacement Ionic - we all should have “zero tolerance” for any defective Ionic

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since having the ionic seen by the Bluetooth, will not affect the setup provess and possibly the formate update that normally goes through WiFi and completely bypasses the phone. I don't even worry about the Bluetooth screen on the phone, except to remove the tracker from the phones Bluetooth. Being attached will often prevent the setup process to function properly.

Normally I just cancel the firmware update and restart.

You say that the initial setup fails at the installation phase. Is this the phase where the tracker gets attached to your Fitbit account? Or is it when the former is getting installed.

Best Answer