Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic not tracking steps properly

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi,

I just got an Ionic from my kids for Xmas.   It does not appear to be tracking steps properly.   When I wake up in the morning,  the starting point for steps is in the 3,000 to 5,000 range.   And,  I'm pretty darn sure I don't sleep walk.   Tried to figure out if a reset of the device might help,  but unable to determine how to do a reset.

Can anyone help?  Thanks in advance.

JWillis

Best Answer
0 Votes
12 REPLIES 12

Hi, @JWillis, the instructions for a restart are here.  

It is not unusual to wake up with a few steps in the morning -- say 10 or 20, or even up to 100 or so if you have had a particularly restless night and have been thrashing about.  However, 3-5 thousand is obviously not normal.

Besides performing a restart, you may want to check that your timezone is correct: it's under account --> settings --> advanced settings.

Also, if your Ionic is near a vibration source, such as a fan or dehumidifier or similar, that can cause false steps in the thousands.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the guidance.

I did follow the reset instructions.   Will check tomorrow to see if that has any impact.  Time zone is correct.  And, do not believe I am sleeping near anything that would create noise,  causing Ionic to log steps.  So,  am stumped thus far as to what may be causing the problem.   Will monitor and post back if I am able to solve.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found that my Ionic adds steps while charging.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've read that the default setting of "non-dominant hand" is rather sensitive and can inflate step counts.  Some users recommend setting the Ionic to "dominant hand" so reduce sensitivity.  Hope that helps!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you.    These steps were added while I was wearing the device,  sleeping ... a bunch of steps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I changed the setting to dominant hand during initial setup ... so,  that's not the problem either.   But,  thank you for adding to the list of possible issues to be thinking about when your device is recording steps while sleeping.

I still hope that the reset I did on the device today winds up clearing up the issue.   Will know tomorrow morning.

Best Answer
0 Votes

STILL NOT TRACKING STEPS PROPERLY.

Did a reset yesterday.   This morning,  I wake up and check the Ionic on my wrist ... 0 steps thru a night of sleep.   I walk about 10 steps to the bathroom,  another 10 over to my computer desk,  check my Ionic again  .... 820 steps.

Yeah.  Something's really wrong with the step tracking.   Within an hour or two of waking,  I get up to 3000-5000 steps with little activity.   Then,  it works OK from there, thru remainder of the day.

Not impressed with Ionic.   Was gifted to me and too difficult to return.   Won't be getting good reviews from me,  that's for darn sure.    Waste of good money.

Best Answer
0 Votes

STILL NOT TRACKING STEPS PROPERLY

Just sitting at my computer desk,  within minutes,  steps go from 820 to 1440.    LOL.   I'm walking while sitting.

Yeah,  bad purchase.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Been sitting at my computer for two hours now,  steps have gone from 820 to 5655.   Man oh man,  this Ionic is making me look great on the exercise front.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Finishing up 5 hours of just sitting at my computer,  and am now up to 8963 steps.  Have also done reset twice.  Have tried to determine what drives the step count higher,  no luck.   Its not the motion of typing.  And,  there are no unusual vibrations in the room.  So,  I'm stumped.   But, my Ionic has a mind of its own when it comes to tallying up the step count.

Best Answer
0 Votes

DAY 2.   STILL NOT TRACKING STEPS PROPERLY.

Woke up ... 0 steps.   Walked about 20 steps to bathroom,  then kitchen ... recorded 1,970 steps.  Sat at computer for an hour,  another 2,133 steps.   Have synced, reset,  checked all settings ... numerous times.  Simply do not have patience to deal with a crappy product.

THIS PIECE OF JUNK IS GETTING BOXED UP AND RETURNED.

Best Answer
0 Votes

FAULTY PRODUCT - RETURNED

Tested over number of days with both Ionic and HR.  Rotated ... Ionic and HR on same wrist, different positions,  different wrists, switched each between dominate and non-dominate wrists.   Ionic consistently logs 5 to 10 K more steps per day.   Ionic would log thousands of steps while I sat at a computer desk.   Some days,  would wake up with Ionic at 1,000+ steps and HR at zero.  Ionic simply does not work.  It's a flawed product,  not ready for release.  I suspect that the shipping dock in Plainfield, IN is overrun with product returns.  Love my HR, and like the concept of a Fitbit device providing more and higher functionality,  but Ionic is major flop.   I won't buy another newly introduced Fitbit product again.  

Best Answer
0 Votes