Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic not working after swim activity

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

hi,

first i would like to say that i love Fitbit watches and this is my 2nd fitbit watch so far, the first being Fitbit Blaze. I only started using my Ionic last year in October 2019. But i also would like to express how extremely disappointed i am when i used my Ionic watch during swimming  in July this year and it just died on me. I've tried what the Fitbit rep suggested such as switching it off and turn it back on again, but nothing worked.

so, my husband spoke to the fitbit representative the first time it happened and he was told that the company will replace my watch with a new ionic watch, and now when we wanted to send the watch over to the fitbit company in Singapore, they refused to replace it and just dropped the subject altogether!

We find this very rude and hope that the company will reconsider replacing my watch with a new one, since it was only being worn for less than a year. We spent money on this watches, so please do your after sale service better. 

Thank you, i hope to hear a response from Fitbit soon.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

Hi @Farr, welcome to the Community Forums! 

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and personal experience with your Fitbit device, I understand your situation and how frustrating this matter can be for you. I'd like to let you know that we are always striving to improve the Fitbit experience with our products and services, therefore, the feedback that's shared here in the Community Forums is always appreciated and really helpful for us to evaluate our procedures and make sure that we are delivering what our users want and need.

Since you already received assistance from our Customer Support team, I’d suggest you contact them back if you require further assistance or if you have any additional questions about the outcome of your case. Also, for a better understanding of the information they provided to you, please check our warranty policies here

Let me know if you have any additional questions, I'll be around.

Best Answer
0 Votes

i also would like to express how extremely disappointed i am when i used my Ionic watch during swimming  in July this year and it just died on me.

Read the numerous archived posts (search the forum posts) on the risk of swimming with an Ionic (and Versa). Whilst Fitbit can't and won't comment - there is overwhelming anecdotal evidence from community members to safely say swimming (and possibly even showering) with these devices is risky and should NEVER occur after the warranty has expired.

I can't comment on the newly released models. Perhaps they are better able to withstand the rigors of water activity. BUT the WR50 water resistant rating is clearly not enough for surface water immersion.

IF you get a replacement DON'T swim with it. OR accept the risk if you choose to do so.

Best Answer
0 Votes
One of the reasons why i bought Ionic is because of the swimming mode. What
is the use of that mode if you cant swim with it!
Best Answer
0 Votes

One of the reasons why i bought Ionic is because of the swimming mode.

Likewise, I upgraded from a Versa. Incidentally Both mine and my wife's Versas died after swimming. Fitbit replaced both without warranty proof, which we didn't have as we purchased them off Gumtree second hand but in as new condition. Don't assume Fitbit will do this. We were lucky, and I thank them for that.

Consequently After reading the Ionic forum shortly after purchasing an Ionic new but second hand also without purchase receipt, I decided the risk of swimming and showering was just too great. My wife showers with her Versa. She knows the risk. Doesn't swim with it though AFAIK.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

I was wondering if there is anything I could try to potentially revive my ionic. Just like everyone else we were in the pool last week, and the ionic stopped working. Once it dried completely, (I gave a full day to dry) and then tried to charge it and power it on, however, after about 1-2 hours it showed that it only had 20% battery and that I had only walked about 18 steps when I know that it was actually over a mile. Should I try a hard reset? The watch is over 2 years old August 2018, but, before I go out to buy a new one I would like to attempt to troubleshoot first. 

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated - thank you for your time. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Should I try a hard reset?

Probably worth a try. Be warned though, a hard reset may actually kill your device - as silly as that sounds, because it is obviously unwell in the state it's in.

Keep it connected to a charger when resetting it and be prepared to have to hold all 3 buttons in if it doesn't restart by itself. When the logo appears release the bottom right button still holding the other two buttons until it vibrates - then release the other two buttons.

NO luck? repeat this procedure.

If you reset it, remove it from your Fitbit app and also from your phone (Bluetooth connection) BEFORE resetting it. After the reset you can then set it up as though you are setting up a new device. 

Good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the words of warning, it currently seems dead so a hard reset probably can’t make it any worse. Too bad I didn’t read any of the water warnings before jumping in the pool - first time encountering any liquid other than sweat. Oh well, we had a good run together. 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes