Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic's firmware isn't updating

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The firmware update is appearing to be held up due to lack of bluetooth connectivity.  Not working over wi-fi.  

Using IOS - Apple phone only got my fitbit today.  Not able to use it until it has updated completely.  Unsure if there is some kind of issue with the watch?  Is this an issue for all Apple users

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity 

Best Answer
121 REPLIES 121

I have my Fitbit Ionic since July 2018 and just this week, I have not been able to update my firmware. Same issue. I use with my iphone, and when I connect to PC it still wont work. Very frustrating as I am fitbit loyalist. I have owned every model they have every made and continue to upgrade over the last 6-7 years. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I feel your pain. Still not able to update and now my notifications indicator keeps telling me I have a new one when I don’t. What a headache!

Linda
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Hi i try to updating my fitbit ionic more than 10 times it failed to update , please provide me with good solution .  i try all solution like  reset , unpair device , no chance to update , did i lost my ionic it stuck on diamond screen , need help 

i am using huawei p20 pro  os 9 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi. I’m not sure what you can do if the reset didn’t work - that worked for me to at least get back to being able to use my device. Is there an 800 number you can call?

Linda
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Make sure the watch is connected to WIFI

I think you can do it through the app on your phone.

Its more than likely timing out because an update through bluetooth is supper slow.follow the link below

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/2233

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Thank you finally I got the updated my watch after I delete the app and
redownlod it again
The I try to update my watch and the operation has successfully done
Thanks for you
Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine also wont update. I tried both on android phone and I pad over bluetooth and wifi. Went to help page. Spent 2 hours on chat with Fitbit. No go. Over 20 hours spent trying to update the firmware and I was told nothing can be done I am off warranty. I was offered 25% off a new one. Then told I am actually eligible for 40% discount. I got my Iconic just over a year ago. I dis not damage it. Everything else works. Why should I pay anything for a new one when it is their software issue. I talked my family and friends into getting fitbits no more. I will need to find another brand. I need a company that stands behind their product.

Cyndi

Best Answer
I don’t blame you. To receive absolutely no customer service on this is crazy. 👎🏻

Linda
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I know. I even chatted with a supervisor.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

Once again my Ionic has failed.  Since Friday it records dsily activity then the following day the app goes back to zero (for previous day).  This is a beta product bring sold as a finished product. Not prepared to spend hours  reinstalling etc. Very disappointed, again. 
Sent from my Huawei phone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Don't be too upset, when I updated my last Ionic to the most recent firmware, 27.33.1.30, it bricked.  They sent me a replacement and I gave it to my wife and bought a new one.  Both are on the same firmware now with no issues but it makes me wonder if Fitbit has put a block on any older versions from updating to the current one until they fix it or release a new version that doesn't brick the device.

Best Answer
0 Votes
They told me i could get a new one 40% off because i was eligible for the discount. They will not replace and i got last March so it is just over a year old and should not be out of daye already.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thankfully I was able to get in u set warranty. I wouldn’t have even thought of it if someone else had not mentioned it.

We’ll see how updates on the new device go once I have it.

Linda
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

So this thread's going on 5 pages for over a year and still no resolution? I don't know how many times I've visited the thread over the past year trying this and that. At this point, it's more frustration than it's worth. Enjoyed my Blaze and it had its issues, but the Ionic is chronically unreliable syncing (and absolutely will not update), so I can't recommend FitBits to anyone and this will probably be my last. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I also will not be buying anymore fitbits.

Best Answer

Thank you, Fitbit!

After over 6 months with this problem, and stumbling onto this thread over and over again, and after this Ionic being the 6th Fitbit device I've had trouble with, you convinced me to shell out the $600+ for a Garmin.

Best. Advertising. Ever.

Best Answer

Hello guys! I'm here to help, my apologies for the delayed reply. I'd like to give a warm welcome to @NigelShepherd @FriedToast and @actorRunning to our Community. I'm happy to see you again participating in our forums @Cyndilady @LindaRene @Metalman007.

Sorry for the situation some of you experienced with our Fitbit Ionic, I totally understand how frustrating this matter can be for you. I'd like to appreciate all of you for the time you took to share your thoughts with us. I assure you that we take in consideration all the feedback our users provide to improve our products and services, thanks for sharing your experience here in the Community Forums.

As a friendly reminder, you can always check our Returns and Warranty policies to understand better the response from our Support Team

I'll be here if you have any additional questions. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I, like many of you, experienced hours of the firmware not updating - immediately after unboxing a new ionic. We had constant errors - which simply said that the update failed after 5-10%...

I'm in IT/Web, and so it occured to me that it could just be the update server getting overloaded; and this was exactly what was happening. If your bluetooth is showing as connected, and the WiFi has connected, then it means that the problem is often likely to be the service that it's connecting to. Since most people are doing these firmware updates in the afternoon/evening, I decided to try again when international servers are much 'quieter' - which is around 07:00 GMT - late/after midnight in the USA and early morning in Europe. It updated instantly; without changing/doing anything else.

I'm not saying that this will solve everyone's issue, but since their crap error messaging system doesn't differentiate between update issues, you'll never know what's happening. What their software should do is attempt the update, and if it fails to connect, ping alternate sources - to see if the internet connection is working, and then it would know that it's just their update server connection that's overloaded and timing out. Then they could just provide a message explaining to try at a less busy time.

Anyway... Hope this helps some of you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

That’s great that you got your watch updated, but my watch is brand new and I cannot get to anything in the watch other than the initial power on screen, so I cannot go in and set my WiFi or Bluetooth settings. Now what?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks i did try at all hours including middle of the night. I do hope your post helps others. 
ThanksCyndi

Best Answer
0 Votes