Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic suddenly added 25000 extra steps

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This morning, I was sitting on my bed when my Ionic buzzed and congratulated me on hitting 10k steps. I was shocked when I realised my Fitbit showed I had clocked 25k steps despite me being sedentary...?? I've restarted my phone, restarted my Ionic twice, tried uninstalling the Fitbit app and unpairing then re-pairing my Ionic. None of this has worked.

I've also looked up past suggested solutions on the forums and tried to "delete" the extra steps by adding Driving as an activity, which seemed to have worked, but the extra steps are still registering on another app which syncs with Fitbit (MyFitnessPal). I also got a Fitbit trophy for hitting 30k steps today, which I definitely haven't earned 😞

I am puzzled, anyone know how to resolve this?

EDIT: Updating in case anyone else encounters the same issue. Contacted support twice. Factory resetting and deleting activity synced from MyFitnessPal both didn't help. They just asked me to monitor my Ionic, so it seems there is no fix for this.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

Hi there @dreamcat12Thanks for sharing detailed information about this situation and for all the troubleshooting that you have tried so far. I understand your concern as this isn't the expected behavior of the Fitbit Ionic. 

To take a look into this, may I know if do you have MobileTrack setup in the Fitbit app? MobileTrack is a feature that records basic stats such as steps using your phone's sensors if you don't have a Fitbit device available. While you didn't have a fan nearby, you might have received incorrect steps if your phone vibrated. For testing purposes and if you have MobileTrack set up, I suggest removing it from your Fitbit account and continue monitoring your Ionic. 

See you around. 

Cindy|Community Moderator| Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Cindy, thanks for the reply. I did have Mobile Track enabled before this, but I removed it as suggested by Fitbit support. After this and the factory reset, the extra steps are still there, unfortunately

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your response @dreamcat12

I appreciate all the troubleshooting that you have tried so far. Please note that it is not possible to remove the steps completely from your Fitbit account, instead you can log a non-step-based activity such as driving to override the steps, as the information that you found before. I'm sorry for the inconvenience and I hope that this does not happen again. 

See you around. 

Cindy|Community Moderator| Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve had a similar problem with my Ionic. It would all of a sudden show I had 10k extra steps and usually a walk or a run which I had taken (as I was asleep at the time and didn’t live 5000 miles away). 
Have you added the 2 factor authentication to your account?

Do you have another Fitbit?

When you deleted your ionic from your iPhone Bluetooth (forget device), did you reboot the iPhone?

Try logging out of your Fitbit apps and staying out for a while. Does the Ionic perform normally at this point without gaining steps?

I wrote something about my experiences today (10/13/2021).  It sounds kind of  similar. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had this happen to me for me it was authorized devices somehow someone hooked onto one of the devices I had permissions to my Fitbit and loaded it up with steps I didn't make Earned me a Russian badge, I went through the app looked at authorized devices that have access to my permissions and it should have been just my phone, but then there was browsers from my phone and from my tablet and from many other services I removed all of those including my phone and had it recreate all brand new work for me

To fix go into Fitbit app go to your profile go account settings authorized devices validate nothing is in there but what you think should be there

Fitbit Ionic 72.1.15 (recalled) and Fitbit Sense 128.6.17
Best Answer
0 Votes

This effects my IONIC also. I have been experiencing this phenomenon for the last 6 months. it happens once a week on Saturday mornings between 3:00 - 3:15 AM. It clocks from 10000 - 55000 steps during that time.

For example:

9/11/21 3:00 - 3:15 AM 28238 steps added

9/18/21 3:00 - 3:15 AM 55696 steps added

9/25/21 3:00 - 3:15 AM 11746 steps added

10/2/21 3:00 - 3:15 AM 38105 steps added

10/9/21 3:00 - 3:15 AM 22510 steps added

10/16/21 3:00 - 3:15 AM 43258 steps added

I have tried all the suggestions in the previous responds and none has helped. I believe the IONIC has a glitch in the firmware that is causing this phenomenon. We need the manufacture or designers to look it to this situation. I do believe it started happening after I received a firmware update.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Me and my wife's Ionics do the same thing.  Its not you its the watch. also having charging issues.

Best Answer
0 Votes