Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic syncing issues

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So I know there are already a few posts here or there about this, but honestly why hasn't this been fixed or addressed formally with a timeline to fix it?

I have not been able to use this watch at it's full potential since back in June. I would rather not delete my watch, unpair it, turn it off/on, delete the app & reinstall it, and then go through the process of setting all that up again just to log my steps and have notifications come through my watch. That's an insane "workaround" for something that should be straight forward; especially since it is something you would probably be doing everyday.

I have gone through the above steps multiple times, have the newest software & updated the firmware, tried different internet sources, and I think it has worked once? The funny thing is it says it "synced" earlier this month where I had about 15k steps...it gave me a nice 2.3k steps.

Tl:dr of this basically I'd like someone from Fitbit to convince me of why I didn't waste my money on this when there are increasing options elsewhere that function infinitely better than this Ionic.Smiley Indifferent

Moderator edit: title for clarity

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @Cmac4Goal! Sorry to hear about the syncing issues you've been experiencing with your Fitbit Ionic. Thanks for taking the time troubleshoot this on your own, nice way to go! 

Thank you for the thorough feedback for the Fitbit environment, customer service, platform and devices. This has not gone unnoticed and be sure that I will pass this along.

We don't want to create frustration in our customers. Fitbit has been designed to provide motivation and help you to reach your daily goals to success. Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on that feedback.

While reading the steps you've done, I'd like you to make sure that your Fitbit Ionic is still connected to your Fitbit account. Maybe the tracker got unpaired and that's why it's not syncing? Also, check if the tracker is still appearing on the phone's Bluetooth settings. Smiley Wink

If you found out that your tracker is no longer there, go back to the Fitbit app, go to the "Account" option in the upper right corner and select "Set up a Device". This should start the setup process for your device. Smiley Very Happy Note that you can't set up your Fitbit device from your phone or tablet's Bluetooth screen; you must open the Fitbit app and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the syncing issue persists, I'd recommend taking a look at the article: Why won't my Fitbit device sync?

Let me know how it goes! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I guess I didn't clarify too well in my first post. My Fitbit has been living on not being paired to the app/my phone because when it is it would freeze/lock up and crash my watch. Plus after about 5 attempts it just wouldn't pair period (just gets locked in a load cycle after entering the numbers).

Here's what did not work:

• Uninstalling the app & reinstalling the app (this did absolutely nothing)
  • Un-pair & re-pair the watch with the app (usually it became impossible to re-pair after)
  • Un-pair & re-pair the watch with my phone (Didn't do anything)
  • Update the tracker software (already had it downloaded & it fixed nothing. Plus hard to do that when your watch is not synced or paired)
  • Turn off other Bluetooth devices when syncing (Just no. When I got mine to sync I was surrounded by them)
  • Using other devices to try & sync (I tried my computer same issue as the phone)
  • Power cycling/restarting the watch (fixed nothing)
  • Syncing while connected to the charger (I'm not sure why this would fix it but I gave it a go. No)
  • Wifi: (if you know you have a good signal then this shouldn't be an issue/ quick check without running a signal test is if you can just buffer a video on anything above 1080p quickly, in my case at least)
    • Watch Proximity to my router
    • Restarting my modem

Anyways more for any community members that need assistance with theirs after spending the weekend with it trying to get the watch to work again here's what worked:

• Factory reset the watch (hold all 3 buttons on the watch, release the bottom right button after the logo flashes & goes away the first time, then it should vibrate & you can release the other 2 buttons)

Now that is the only thing that "worked". I say worked because I think I did this about 2-3 times before it would sync again. Even now that it's syncs without crashing & I get my notifications again it doesn't seem to update continuously (I.E. I can't see my steps increase in the app in real time with my watch). On top of that it took about 2.5-3 hours to finish, roughly 50-55 minutes per reset & full pair process.  

I also wouldn't call this a solution since in some cases, like mine, we use these trackers for work and it makes it a bit harder to have accurate monthly steps if some are erased due to needing to factory reset as well as the time it takes.

Tl:Dr:

Factory reset of the watch is unfortunately the best option here. (see above for how & could possibly take a few tries and some time). I will update this post at the end of the week & month to see if the syncing issue comes back.

Let me know if this/anything else works for you all[the community] or you have questions on what I did. I tried to leave a through-ish post as most I encountered looking online is either just bits and pieces of what was tried above or just "mine doesn't work!" or "It works for me now". I hope it has so you don't have to waste as much time as I did.Smiley Frustrated (PS Happy Monday).

Best Answer

Little late, sorry work got busy. Seems like what I stated above has worked for the most part. Things are syncing again and freezing up less. Syncing does still take a few seconds to a few minutes as well as it not updating in real-time (like it used to) if you are connected and have your phone open on the app. At least it works I guess.

Best Answer
0 Votes