Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic won't setup and update firmware version

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Just received the Ionic as a gift and unable to set it up. I got as far getting to the update screen that will tell me that it's updating, but it won't finish. It is "working" for hours on the update, but it fails. Tried both wifi and bluetooth

Moderator edit: update subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hey there @Gabika, it's nice to see you around the forums! Man Very Happy I'm sorry for the inconvenience you're having with your Ionic while you're doing the firmware update. Thanks for already troubleshooting this inconvenience, nice way to go! 

Are you still having difficulties updating your Fitbit Ionic? If so, before you begin the firmware update, make sure Fitbit Ionic is plugged into the charger and in range of your Wi-Fi network during the update. For best results, use your home or work Wi-Fi network. 

If the firmware update failed, you may see this image on your watch's screen:

User-added image

Please follow the troubleshooting steps below based on your issue to resolve the problem. 

If your watch isn't sufficiently charged before starting the update, you may see this image on your screen:

User-added image

Wait until the battery is at least 40% charged to start the update and keep your watch plugged into the charger. To check the battery level, tap the screen or press any button while the watch is charging.

If you have trouble updating your watch over Wi-Fi, try these steps to resolve the problem: 

1. Make sure your watch is connected to the Wi-Fi network you want to use. 
  2. Move your watch closer to your router.
  3. Make sure your router is connected to the internet. 
  4. Restart your watch by holding the back (left) and bottom buttons until you see the Fitbit logo.
  5. Try again to update your watch.

If the update failed, continue with the following:

1. Restart your phone.
  2. Try again to update your watch.

If it's still not updating, let's continue with:

Check to see if you have another Fitbit tracker paired to your phone. If so, you must tell your phone to "forget" the tracker, removing the connection between the phone and the tracker. 

1. On your phone, go to Settings > Bluetooth > find the tracker in the list > find an option to forget the device.

If you can't update Ionic over Wi-Fi, follow the on-screen instructions in the Fitbit app to update your watch over Bluetooth instead. Note that firmware updates over Bluetooth may take significantly longer to complete.

On the other hand, if you have trouble updating your watch over Bluetooth, try these steps to resolve the problem: 

1. Try turning Bluetooth on and off on your phone.
  2. Restart your watch by holding the back (left) and bottom buttons until you see the Fitbit logo.
  3. Try again to update your watch.

If the steps above don't work, do the following:

1. Restart your phone.

Last steps if that doesn't work is to check to see if you have another Fitbit tracker paired to your phone. If so, you must tell your phone to "forget" the tracker, removing the connection between the phone and the tracker. 

1. On your phone, go to Settings > Bluetooth > find the tracker in the list > find an option to forget the device.

If you see a clock error message on your watch's screen after the update, choose a clock face in the Fitbit app to resolve the problem:

1. From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap or click the Account icon > your device image.
  2. Tap or click Clock Faces.
  3. Choose a new clock and then wait a few moments for your watch to update. The new clock face will appear on your screen.

Give this a go and let me know if you're able to complete the firmware update and the setup process! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
Thank you, I was able to update and setup my Fitbit, and it is working almost perfect. Now I have another issue, it is the GPS. I go to the park with my dogs and set my Fitbit to walk. After when I check it on the phone the GPS is telling me that I walked at a pace of 40sec/mile - that is 90mph, I don't even drive that fast. On the watch my step count is correct. Is there a way to calibrate the GPS so it corrects itself?
Best Answer
0 Votes