Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic won't sync to Google Pixel 2 XL

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have tried all of the troubleshooting steps that are outlined by Fitbit but my brand new Ionic will not sync with my Google Pixel 2 XL.  I have reset it to the factory defaults several times as well as restarting\factory resetting the phone.  I also tried turning off all of the sync service stuff and turning it all on.  I have a Dell tablet that works flawlessly every time I walk by it.   Any thoughts, I feel like there is some kind of known problem that isn't being delt with because of all the other users complaining as well.  Please help.

I wanted to add that I recently (5-30-18) installed the beta for Android P and I have seen significant performance advancement.  It also works with Bluetooth 1.4 the default settings.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I think that I have found the ultimate resolution to this problem for everyone that has this problem.  Here are the steps that I used to get my device to work with the way it was meant to.

1. Turn on developer mode on your Pixel 2 device
  2. To turn on developer mode go to settings - system - about phone: then tap on build number 7 times.
  3. Go back to the system page and you should now see an option that says { } Developer options
  4. Go to Developer options page and change the following option: Bluetooth AVRCP Version
  5. The default option is set to AVRCP 1.4 CHANGE TO: AVRCP 1.6

I have been able to Sync change my clock face and even get application notifications from my phone.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
17 REPLIES 17

Is there a way to get an error log that can be produced in order to better troubleshoot the issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @dswoff, the Google Pixel 2 XL is not on the list of supported devices, so that may be where your problem lies, especially as you report it syncs fine with your Dell.

Phones not on the list do often work -- it simply means that Fitbit has not tested to ensure that they do work, and some features may work inconsistently or not work at all.  

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

I need help for a flagship phone that's well over six months old, not excuses.  How do I troubleshoot the problem so that Fitbit can the information that it needs to resolve this problem.  It's been going on too long.

Best Answer

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @dswoff! Thanks for already troubleshooting this inconvenience, nice way to go! 

My friend @Julia_G is right, the reason why your tracker is not syncing/pairing with your Google Pixel 2 XL is due to these device ir not compatible with the Fitbit app

I totally understand your point my friend. The developer team is aware of the need to add new devices to the list of compatible devices, however, we don't have a estimated date on when it will be added. There are some users who can synchronize with non-compatible devices. If your phone meets the requirement of Minimum Supported OS (Android 4.4 KitKat), you can try the tips on the following help article: Synchronization troubleshoot or even notifications troubleshoot

Note that we don't guarantee that the synchronization would be will be successful as we are still testing on this phone model.  

If setup does not work, I recommend setting up and syncing via a device listed as supported or using a Windows 10/Mac computer with integrated Bluetooth 4.0 running the Fitbit Software. Our Android team is always working to test and add more Android devices to the supported devices list, so keep an eye open for updates!

But... if you want, we can try some steps that have worked for my sister. She owns a Huawei which is not yet a supported device, but she has tried the following (which I think won't hurt if you try that as well) and she made it:

1. Your phone must not be set to "visible for other devices"
2. Your phone must not be "searching for other devices"

If either of these two things are active, the Fitbit cannot connect.

In other words, you have to set it to invisible, and you have to click the stop button if it is searching for devices. So, Bluetooth should be on, but not doing anything at all in the Bluetooth menu. Then force quit the Fitbit app and it'll sync. At least it has done with my sister's phone for over a month or so.

Give this a shot, I'm crossing my fingers! Robot wink 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think that I have found the ultimate resolution to this problem for everyone that has this problem.  Here are the steps that I used to get my device to work with the way it was meant to.

1. Turn on developer mode on your Pixel 2 device
  2. To turn on developer mode go to settings - system - about phone: then tap on build number 7 times.
  3. Go back to the system page and you should now see an option that says { } Developer options
  4. Go to Developer options page and change the following option: Bluetooth AVRCP Version
  5. The default option is set to AVRCP 1.4 CHANGE TO: AVRCP 1.6

I have been able to Sync change my clock face and even get application notifications from my phone.

Best Answer

Hey @dswoff! I'm glad to hear that you were able to pair your Fitbit Ionic to your Google Pixel 2 XL. Thanks for sharing the steps that have worked for you, I'm pretty sure this will help other users facing with the same, thanks for that! 

Hope to see you participating in the Community more often since I think it would be awesome for you to explore our Community. You can go ahead and log to any of the topics that might be of your interest in our Discussion boards. Feel free to comment and contribute with your knowledge and experience.

I'll be around if you need further assistance! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

So frustrating that 6+ months after release, the Ionic is still not compatible with a major Android phone like the Pixel phone. How does it expect to compete with the Apple Watch??? 

Thank you for posting this solution, though it did not work for me. So the frustration and regret continues for me. 

Best Answer

The Apple watch is only compatible with Apple phones...

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

Thank you so much for posting this! I've been struggling for months with my own Ionic/Pixel 2 XL. Why they wouldn't make 1.6 default on the newer Android builds is perplexing. As soon as I changed this on mine and restarted the phone it's staying synced like a champ - notifications working much better too! My only concern is what this might do to battery life, but the newer standard is supposed to work in a lower power setting I think I read? 

It is also silly one has to enable dev features to get this to work, but this is definitely more a problem with the phone than the watch it seems, and at least it's an easy fix. Thanks again! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have found when I installed the beta version of Android P the problem has been fully resolved. Works with Bluetooth 1.4 the default settings.

Best Answer

Good to know! I've gotten away from beta builds since I rely heavily on my phone for work, but it might be worth giving P a spin 🙂 If this is resolved and battery life has been improved it might be time to be an early adopter once more!

Best Answer
0 Votes

You're a legend! This resolved it immediately. I'm glad that as an unpaid memeber being used to deflect costly support you're so much more competent then a paid software engineer. You're not the hero want, but you are the hero we need!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do I get the beta version?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do you have a time table for the Fitbit ionic to be available to pixel 2

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a Google Pixel 2XL, the fitbit app doesn't sync I've tried the resolution someone posted earlier but it doesn't seem to be working for me.  This was also suggested:

1. Your phone must not be set to "visible for other devices"
2. Your phone must not be "searching for other devices"

Can you please provide steps on how to change these settings?

Thank you!

PS> can't wait for Fitbit to update and be compatible with Google Pixel, this is annoying!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was hopeful when I saw your post but I cannot get this to recognize my watch I have the pixel to my work phone and Apple six no problem but I don’t wanna carry around my work phone when I don’t have to I’m getting very very frustrated with fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes