Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewing cycling stats

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I started using my ionic yesterday and can sync and retrieve information on footsteps, heart rate and burned calories. I used it to record my first bike ride today and it tracked it fine and displayed a screen with stats at the end. When I got home I synced successfully but was surprised that the mileage count hadn't increased to include the 11.47 miles I had covered. Also after looking through every available menu on the app and the ionic itself I could not see any stats or record of the ride at all. Is this normal and am I expecting too much to assume that miles covered by bike should be included in my overall daily stats? 

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity 

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

A warm welcome to the Community @IHeartBicycles. Thanks for the details mentioned. 

Based in what you mentioned, it seems that your bike didn't track distance, because you probably used SmartTrack. When you're using SmartTrack it won't track distance for any of the activities that are automatically recognized such as: 

Walk

Run

Outdoor Bike 

Elliptical

Sport

Aerobic Workout

Swim 

If you want to track distance while you're biking, you might want to track it by activating it before starting the exercise, you can learn more about it by checking this article: How do I track exercise and activity with my Fitbit device?

I'll be around if you have additional questions. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Silvia, thanks for your response. I accidentally checked accept solution (tried to untick the check box icon but it accidentally accepted it).

The bike ride was not a smart activity, I selected the exercise app, waited for the GPS signal to gain full strength then began my bike ride.

I later found a long of the bike ride by using discover in the fitbit app on my phone however I was surprised that it showed only 4.73 miles on my total stats for the day when I had recorded this distance in steps plus an 11.47 mile bike ride.

Is there a way to display my recorded bike rides on the main stats screen for the day I will I have to keep consulting either runkeeper or strava and adding the totals manually to the steps distance covered to work out total distance covered each day?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Also apologies for the spelling mistakes/lack of clarity on my response, the screen is damaged on my smartphone.

Second sentence I meant to write "log" not "long of the bike ride"

Fourth sentence I meant to write "or" not "I will I have to keep consulting"

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back @IHeartBicycles. Sorry for the delayed reply. 

I appreciate that you posted more details about what you wanted to share in your post. If you track any activities, they will appear on your Fitbit today or you can consult them in your Dashboard. However, if you're tracking these activities with a third-party app then you will need to check them in that website or if they sync you can check them in your daily activities. 

You can continue learning about it by checking this article: How do I track exercise and activity with my Fitbit device?

I'll be around if you need further assistance. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back to me Silvia

Unfortunately the stats for my bike rides do not appear on the fitbit app dashboard, it will only display stats relating to my footsteps and smart activities from prolonged walks 

Is there a way to make the stats from my bike ride when logged through the "exercise app" on my ionic using the onboard gps appear on the fitbit app dashboard? The main reasons I bought the ionic were to free up processor power and conserve battery life on my phone when out biking and to keep all of my biking stats in one easy to access location (the fitbit app dashboard) and after reading numerous forums and guides I still can't achieve this 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Sylvia

Since you last got in touch I have tried manually logging the details from bike rides I have completed and realised that it adds to my active hours count and calories burned but doesn't increase the mileage. When I have been manually inputting the details I have included the amount of time I have been out exercising and included the exact mileage (manually copied after logging the bike ride using runkeeper on my phone).

Do you intend to release any kind of patch/update to support this feature? Or would you perhaps release a special edition of the ionic for cyclists? If either of these are considered I would be more than happy to help with testing or give input/feedback for development.

Thanks for your help so far

Screenshot_20190827-133909.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

Could you also please change the topic title to "bike mileage won't display on fitbit app dashboard" or something relevant to my issue please?

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

edit: deleted

Best Answer
0 Votes

T. Parker, as mentioned at the beginning of the thread I have only bought a fitbit in the past week therefore I thought it would be obvious that I am also new to the community and would not be aware this issue has been raised in the past.

Also, as stated, I am not interested in competing with others just monitoring my own development. I didn't state there were any bugs with the product or software just enquired if there would be any updates or potentially a new product specifically for cyclists.

When reading the product description I noticed it said you can track bike rides via the onboard gps so I don't think it is unreasonable to assume that it would also keep an up to date log of them like many free apps do.

If any other members have any valid contributions to make I am more than happy to hear your thoughts and engage in an informed conversation.

Thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes

Edit: deleted, as unhelpful, didn't mean to upset anyone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your opinions but we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

As for your view re me voicing my opinion on a suggestion forum I find your views pessimistic and unhelpful.

If anyone else has any points of view I am interested. As I see it with the specifications and the features of the ionic I feel it is capable of being much more than a pedometer and heart rate monitor and there is nothing wrong with considering pushing the boundaries a bit further to make the ionic more useful to cyclists and other people other than those engaged purely in "step based" activities

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for posting a screenshot @IHeartBicycles. Sorry for the delayed reply. 

Your bike activity won't track steps but if you manually start it from the exercise app on your Ionic, it will show you the following stats: 

duration

distance

kph avg

kph max

calories burned and elevation 

The best place to make your voice heard is our Feature Suggestion board, those are reviewed by our team and the status will change based in Fitbit's plans. 

Let me know if you any additional questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Sylvia

I am aware that the ionic dispays stats relating to bike rides logged through the onboard gps on the exercise app after completing a ride, I did mention this in my first forum post well over a week ago

I am still seeking a solution as to how to include the mileage from bike rides recorded using this method on the today section of the dashboard on the fitbit app on my phone

I also requested that you change the title of my post to reflect this or to revert back to the original post title as the alteration you made to my title is not relevant to my query

Best Answer
0 Votes