Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic won't sync with iPhone or computer

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Was very excited to replace my HR2 with the Iconic, however now I'm regretting every second I've wasted on getting the Iconic to work.  It worked for about one week, then went downhill after I tried to change my clock face; now my iconic won't connect to my computer nor my iPhone.  I've reset the watch, I've removed and reinstalled the app from my computer and my iPhone.  Both devices see the Iconic in bluetooth, but the app never finds the device.  

I've reset the watch 3 more times today and still can't connect.  Suggestions?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
29 REPLIES 29

@Caloby Welcome to the Fitbit family! Don't feel like that! I'm sure your Ionic will work properly after trying these workarounds:

• Reset Bluetooth (turn it off, wait 10 seconds, turn it back on).
  • Log out from the Fitbit App, reboot your phone, log back in to the app.

Also, check this helpful article in which you will find more troubleshooting steps and details regarding this. This should certainly help you out with this.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

As I've come to expect with this device, the steps mentioned worked for about 3 days.  Now my phone and Iconic wont' connect, thus requiring me to hard reset and start all over again.  I have to do this two to three times per week.  This is a horrible device.  I would never recommend this product.

Best Answer

I'm having similar problems. All of a sudden, my ionic won't sync with my phone. I've followed all of the help topic suggestions. Turn on off bluetooth. Remove from bluetooth. delete mobile app and reinstall. I've spent the last 2 hours trying to fix this. This is pretty terrible product reliability.

Best Answer

Your problems sound like mine. After two beautiful, seamless months, it began not communicating with my iPhone or PC two days ago. I have done all of these things repeatedly with no effect or a few hours of normal activity. Additionally, I turned off another Bluetooth app, Tile, which seemed to correct the problem, but only for a short time.

Best Answer

@Fjohn1 I'm having exactly the same problem. It was fine connecting with my galaxy S6 for a couple of months. Got slow to connect after the ionic firmware update in December. And for the past 2 days has fallen over completely. I've spent hours looking for and trying out fixes suggested by the mods on the boards and none of them are working. Mods - we'd like to know if this is a recognised problem that fitbit are trying to solve? Otherwise we may as well all return our Ionics as not fit for purpose. 

Best Answer
After I wrote this morning, I did tech support by Chat for 30-40 minutes.
They seemed aware of the issue but had me go thru all the steps we have
tried, without success, up to a factory reset. I deferred on that for at
least today, hoping not to lose all the data. However, they do claim our
data is restored from their servers.

Right now, it doesn’t look like anything is a certain fix.
Best Answer

Looks like instead of QA'ing their products, they are going to make their paying user base their QA group.

I've only had the Ionic for 2 weeks.

Moderator Edit: Word Choice

Best Answer

Factory reset has only been a temporary fix for me as well, which sucks because I lose all my data each time. I'm so sick of re-adding my Starbucks and Fitbit Pay info. 

Best Answer

As of this morning, my ionic will not sync with my iPhone.  HELP!!!

Best Answer

Hello Hollygar.  I have my Ionic paired with my iPhone and it works and syncs flawlessly.  This may be obvious, but make sure you have bluetooth and wifi turned on in your phone.  The watch also needs to be within 30 feet of the phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Also try to turn off the «all day sync», it worked for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I have a fitbit Ionic and an iPhone SE. Since the firmware update to the Ionic a couple of weeks ago it is really struggling to sync with the fitbit app on the iPhone. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app and have also restarted the Ionic but this hasn't solved the issue. Is anyone else having the same problem and has anyone got a solution? Martin

Best Answer

Same here. Mine was working perfectly for 2 months. Stopped syncing yesterday morning. It didn’t update my sleep activity yesterday morning. Flew from one time zone to another yesterday afternoon. Now — Bluetooth can’t find the Ionic watch even though they are next to each other. Tried several times. The clock is still one hour off. Can’t sync. Have removed & reloaded app. Turned off Bluetooth. Turned on Bluetooth. Turned off iPhone. Turned on iPhone. More than once. Still not synching. Bummed. Still one hour off. Maybe it will resolve itself on its own. I give up. 

Best Answer

Got mine to re-sync - reset your Ionic by:

1) Press and hold the back (left) and bottom buttons until you see the Fitbit logo on the screen. This should take less than 10 seconds.
2) Let go of the buttons.

it then reconnected to Bluetooth began synching and is back working 

Best Answer

Thanks. I've tried that and it didn't work for me 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi. I have almost forgotten this incident. Fitbit support never did find a
solution, nor did they offer any exchange, etc. for a defective watch. I
went back to Best Buy, past the end of their initial warranty, and they did
a good faith exchange for a new, not remanufactured, Ionic. The problems
never repeated themselves. Best Buy really stood behind a product when they
didn't have to. Fitbit, unfortunately, wasn't up to the task.
Best Answer

Hello everyone! Thanks for your continuous participation on this thread regarding Ionic not syncing with iPhone or computer.

If you are still experiencing this situation I'd recommend performing the following: 

• Check if the device you are using is a supported device
  • Force quit the Fitbit app.
  • Turn Bluetooth off, wait 10 seconds, turn it back on.
  • If it doesn't sync, reboot your iPhone.
  • If it doesn't sync, restart Ionic.
  • If it doesn't sync, try syncing with another phone or computer if available. 
  • If it doesn't sync, remove any other Fitbit devices from your account and from the list of connected Bluetooth devices on your iPhone.

Also, please take a look at this helpful article to check some requirements for iOS devices. You should find some syncing troubleshooting steps for computer as well.

If you already tried some of these steps, please try them again in the order posted there.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
Hi. My last response yesterday was in response to a user who found my old
posts. You may have missed what I wrote. Fitbit support tried everything a
bunch of times, finally stopped trying to help and didn't offer any
warranty replacement of the defective Ionic. Best Buy, where I bought it,
stepped up to the plate and replaced it with a brand new Ionic which has
been fine now for about two months. They had no responsibility to give me a
new product but respect loyal customers.
Best Answer

@Fjohn1 I hope you're doing well! Thanks for sharing your experience with the Fitbit Community on this thread. It's unfortunate that customer support didn't offered more options.

However, I'm very glad to hear that Best Buy stepped up and replaced your Ionic. I'm also glad to hear that your new unit has been working fine. Please let me know if you need some help with anything.

Also, take a look at the Discussions Board as you will find a lot of interesting things there. Feel free to post on any thread you want. If you are looking for Fitbit friends to compete with on challenges, check this thread to add some! 

See you around! Smiley Happy

Best Answer