Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laps/split times just wrong with running app. You should be able to sort this out quickly.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So I use the running app, and I have the cues set to go off every half mile.  When I look at the details of the splits of the run from the FitBit app they don't quite tally with the ones on the Fitbit website, but it's only by a second or so.  However, the website also shows the pace for each of the half mile splits, and it doesn't tally at all with that of the mile splits.

Today I have 7'53"/mile for my first half mile and 6'54" for my second, but the pace of my first mile is listed as 7'14" which is obviously faster.  the next two half miles are both at 7'18" pace, but the corresponding mile is at 7'14" pace, again faster.  Each time the mile split is faster than the average of the half mile splits.  It gives the time for the half mile splits too, and they tally with the half mile paces (but obviously not with the slightly faster mile paces).  So after three miles, the half mile splits have me completing that in 31'30" whereas the mile splits have it as 31'06".  That's obviously quite a difference, and not just a rounding error.  

The last bit of the run was not a full mile - for the mile split I had .65 miles at 10'13" (which by my calculations would be 6'38")  whereas for the half mile split I had half a mile at 10'35" and 0.1 at 9'17" and the corresponding times added up to 6'12"

So at the end of the run, the actual time is 37'46", the time calculated from the half mile splits is 37'42" and the time calculated from the mile slits is 37'44", which are close enough to be rounding errors. 

So why the big discrepancy?    Anyone who runs will tell you this is not a trivial amount.  Has this anything to do with the cue times showing up a little late at each split?  They might show up, for example at 2.54miles rather than 2.5.  I don't know why they show up late, but is the pace of that particular split then calculated using the slightly wrong time?  It seems like something that you should be able to sort out pretty easily to be honest.

Best Answer
1 REPLY 1

To help with analysis, have you tried exporting to another platform like Endomondo?

At least for cycling, Strava requires a tcx/fit file with embedded laps, which is why I mention Endomondo because it takes my ride data and on the fly will calculate various splits: 1 mile, 2 mile, 5 mile, or 10 mile.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes