Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map data and Exercise details not always transferring to App - Ionic

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Couldn't see this problem answered anywhere.

My Ionic has intermittently stopped showing / transferring GPS data in the app.   After working fine for at least 12 months it now only shows the GPS data sporadically.   Same run location, same manual process of starting a run, 2 different phones (one the same as I have had for years) have same results, latest version of apps and firmware.   

Sometimes I get the full details and map, sometimes only get a summary of the run (distance, heart rate etc) with no map.   Can share a screenshot to show the problem if allowed.    Can't see any pattern or logic.  Very frustrating.  It works about 50% of time so can't believe it is a setting change.

Ideas welcome

Thanks

Paul

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Tinkers77 is GPS always successfuly connected? The behaviour you describe happens when the GPS fails to establish connection. Eventually, the watch gives up and doesn't retry to connect. My old Ionic was doing that and on the very same route sometimes it acquired connection within a few seconds and other times very late or not at all (then there was no map). Make sure the GPS connects before you start activity.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

Welcome to the Fitbit Community, @Tinkers77.

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you experienced with your Fitbit Ionic. Thank you for the information provided.

If you haven't done so, please restart your Watch by following these instructions.

In addition, you can follow the troubleshooting steps to resolve GPS issues in this article in the menu "How do I get my Fitbit device to connect to GPS?".

In this case, is not necessary to attach a screen shot of the problem but for future reference you can follow these steps to do so.

Hope this helps.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

Thanks for reply.    Have restarted watch and will report back next time I go on a run.   However, as it will work one run and not the next I'm not confident that it will make any difference.   It worked perfectly for a long time and still works perfectly roughly every second time now - so I don't think it's any of the settings as detailed in the article

Regards

Paul

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your response, @Tinkers77.

Hope the issue gets resolved after following the instructions shared above.

On another note, you are welcome to visit the Health & Wellness board to talk with other members about health and fitness.

Have a nice day.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
0 Votes

First run after following the instructions did record map data, though as stated originally it has been working intermittently already.   Another run planned tonight so will report back,

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Tinkers77 is GPS always successfuly connected? The behaviour you describe happens when the GPS fails to establish connection. Eventually, the watch gives up and doesn't retry to connect. My old Ionic was doing that and on the very same route sometimes it acquired connection within a few seconds and other times very late or not at all (then there was no map). Make sure the GPS connects before you start activity.

Best Answer

I think that might be the problem.   On my run tonight I checked and it took ages to establish the connection but I waited and it eventually did (maybe 2 minutes) - and the map data did record.   So I'm wondering if the problem is that the Ionic is taking much longer to establish connection than it used to.   I never had to wait any time before so it had not been a problem and always recorded fine.   So .... that leads to the question of what has changed?   Same Ionic, same route but connection is now taking a lot longer?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi - just to confirm this does appear to be the problem.   My Ionic now takes many minutes (about 10 yesterday) to connect to GPS.    If I wait until that happens then the data appears in the mobile app consistently.    So my problem is now a) why has it started taking so long? b) how do I avoid exposure while standing around waiting for it to connect !

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I had Ionic that was a major issue. When you start wait a few moments but not like 10minutes. If it seems to take too long, go back to the Exercise menu and start tracking again. Eventually, it will connect quicker. I know it's a pain but I don't know any other workaround. My old Ionic was always connecting long (like 30sec to 2min) but after a few months, it got worse including not connecting at all or disconnecting during the run and never reconnecting again. I never found a reason or solution until retiring Ionic.

Best Answer
0 Votes

thanks, I'll try that next time - the strange thing is that I've had this Ionic for maybe 3 years - and it never used to be a problem but exactly like you has worsened over time.   Until recently I could leave the house and start running straight away and the GPS data always recorded for the whole run.    So I assume it connected very quickly in the background wihtout me needing to pay any attention.   It's the same Ionic, same house and same run but something has caused the problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes