Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Month One Review (With UPDATE)

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So, I received my Ionic, prior to the official release date (09/27/17).  I have now been using my Ionic 24/7 for over a month now and figured it was time to do in-depth review (of sorts).  Rather than making this a lengthy explanatory review, I will just be saying what I have experienced, with a + for a positive and a - for negative occurrences.  So here goes:

Left Swipe Screen:

SCREEN WAKE (+):  Always works as expected.

NOTIFICATIONS (-/+):  I was always receiving my Text messages and Call prompts, but my emails and calendar were not initially working properly (Used the default iPhone email and calendar apps).  However, I did some research and found that if you use the "Outlook" iPhone app, the problem should be resolved.  So I loaded the Outlook app and bingo, everything started working as expected.  I have now been using the Outlook app for my email and calendar and they have been going to my Ionic as expected.  I will say, I have had to do a manual RESET (Pressing the LEFT and Bottom RIGHT Buttons simultaneously until the Fitbit Icon appears), on several days to get this feature back in sync with my iPhone, however, not too problematic.  That is why I am showing the -/+ symbol.  It had some issues, but they have since been resolved!

Right Swipe Screen #1:

TODAY (+):  Use it daily and it always works as expected.  NOTE:  I have this placed on my FIRST right slide screen in the Top Left Corner.  With the app loaded on this screen and in this location, you can quick PRESS the Top RIGHT button from the wake screen and it will load the TODAY app.  Makes things easy and always works!

STARBUCKS App (+):  Have used this app for ALL of my Starbucks purchases for the month (about 10-15 purchases) and it has always worked.

WEATHER (+):  Use it daily.  I also have done some traveling between the states (USA) and the initial "DEFAULT LOCATION" screen has always matched the weather to my actual location!  I also have two locations stored in the app and they also work as expected.  NOTE:  I have this placed on my FIRST right slide screen in the Bottom Left Corner.  With the app loaded on this screen and in this location, you can quick PRESS the Bottom RIGHT button from the wake screen and it will load the WEATHER app.  Makes things easy and always works!

EXERCISE (+):  I have used the Walk, Weights and Workout features.  Have NOT had any problems.  When I do my Walks, I use the GPS and the Music (With the Fitbit Flyer) and everything works.  I ran the Ionic alongside my Blaze for the first two weeks and they matched up almost step by step.  NOTE:  GPS (+):  This was a very important feature for me, so I have used the GPS as often as possible.  Having used this for all of my dedicated exercies (Walks),  it has functioned without fail.

Right Swipe Screen #2:

ALARMS (+):  Have three set for daily use and they all work.

TIMERS (+):  I don't use this often, but I have forced myself to try them, just to ensure they worked.

MUSIC (+):  This was a very important feature for me, as I mentioned above.  I use this a lot and have purposely changed my iTunes playlists several times a week for a month, just to make sure this feature worked.  I am very happy with this app and it has always worked.

PANDORA (?):  Since I have all my own music and load my music on the Ionic, I really have no need for Pandora or Spotify or any others, so I have not used this app, even though I do have it installed on my Ionic for future possible use.

Right Swipe Screen #3:

COACH (+):  Have been using the FREE instructional videos and they are so good, I will be paying the subscription for this service in 2018.  I am just not ready (in shape) for it yet, but this will be part of my 01/2018 initiatives!

RELAX (+):  If you haven't tried this yet, please do.  I was a tad hesitent, initially since I didn't understand it.  However, having said that, I now use it and it just works, amazing results!

STRAVA (+):  I use the FREE subscription for this app and it works and mirrors everything the Fitbit app I use does.  The FREE version allows you to sync up to people who use STRAVA, but not Fitbit.  Therefore providing more people to connect with!

WALLET (+):  Have made about 6-8 purchases with the NFC and it has worked each and every time.  I have two cards loaded and can easily switch between them (nice touch).

Right Swipe Screen #4:

SETTINGS:  These work as expected.

I have not covered the iPhone Fitbit app nor the PC version of the Fitbit app, however, I will say they work as expected and I have NOT had any problems with either one.  They sync up and perform almost identically. 

So, there you have it.  I will add at this point that I do NOT work for Fitbit.  I do NOT have stock with Fitbit (wish I did) nor am I receiving anything from Fitbit for this review.  This is just my "Personal" experience with my Ionic, a device I truly enjoy and am very happy to own!

Thanks and keep on "Stepping" folks!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UPDATE 12/30/2017:  Okay folks, time for an update:

HEART RATE (+):  This has worked for me exactly as described since the 1st big firmware upgrade back in October.  So no issues here and I have grown to use it alot more!

SLEEP INSIGHTS (+):  This has also worked as described since the 1st big firmware upgrade in October.  I check this out on a regulare basis and it is always very accurate and insightful!

CLOCK FACES (+):  This has always worked, but with the December firmware upgrade and the release of the NEWLY approved 3rd party Watch Faces alongside the Fitbit Labs Watch Faces, we now have a LOT of Watch Faces to choose from and the list keeps on growing and the  customizations/settings are improving with each subsequent Watch Face upgrade!  COUNT ME AS IMPRESSED!!!

APPS (+):  I have never had any issues with the APPS, but it wasn't until the December firmware upgrade, when Fitbit released a host of NEWLY Approved 3rd party APPS alongside some new Fitbit APPS.  We now have a little more to choose from and the list keeps on growing.

FITBIT FLYER (+):  I purchased this alongside my Ionic and have been using it ever since.  I have my own personal music stored on the Ionic and the connection is always stable and works as expected.  I use the FLYER for all my exercises, which run about 2-2 1/2 hours, and at the conclusion, my FLYER battery is still reporting a "Medium" charge.  The FLYER also charges very quickly and is very customizable (ear fittings).  This is a great match alongside the Ionic!

BATTERY (+):  I am getting 5-6 days of normal use (No GPS or Music).  However, when I use the Ionic two days in a row with the GPS and onboard Music for 2-2 1/2 hours each day, I will usually need to put my Ionic on the charger, as it is usually in the 20-30 percent charged range.  With the new Firmware release, the battery charging is now displayed on the whole screen, which makes things a lot EASIER.  The Ionic also seems to be charging faster after the last Firmware release.

NOTIFICATIONS (+):  This was an area that needed the occasional reset to work in total sync, however, since the Decemb3er Firmware release, this is also working much better and is requiring less attention (resets).

FITBIT PAY (+):  I have not had any issues with this since Fitbit released the October Firmware release.  This has always worked exactly as expected.

ALL OTHER PREVIOUSLY REPORTED AREAS (+):  My initial reviews apply!

So, there you have it.  I will add (Again) that I do NOT work for Fitbit.  I do NOT have stock with Fitbit (wish I did) nor am I receiving anything from Fitbit for this review.  This is just my "Personal" experience with my Ionic and Flyer, devices I truly enjoy and am very happy to own!

I shout out to the Fitbit Ionic Team, GREAT WORK!  Thanks for the votes, reading my review and keep on "Stepping" folks!!!  

Community Council Member

Gunny | Richmond, VA (USA)

Ionic Adidas Edition, Versa Special Edition, Aria 2 & Flyer | iPhone & Windows 10

Take a look at the Fitbit Help site for further Assistance & Information.

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Great review, @GySgt_Seidell. From a Flyboy to a GySgt, Thanks for posting!  Smiley Happy

Best Answer

Yes, tidy little review this. I do have the occasional bug, but nothing a quick restart and/or HR sensor clean won't fix. 

Think I'd be lost without my ionic now. 

Best Answer

Thanks for this! I'm now a step closer to buying my Ionic. Just waiting for Black Friday. Robot wink

Best Answer

Nice review and thank you. This will prove useful to me in the future. 

Hoo Rah!

Versa 2, Flex 2, Sense, Apple Watch 6
Best Answer

Linux mint Laptop? Nice.

Retired Army

Versa 2, Flex 2, Sense, Apple Watch 6
Best Answer

@ConnieL429 wrote:

Linux mint Laptop? Nice.

Retired Army

Yep, love Linux - probably because I grew up on UNIX maintaining the old military communications systems....or, maybe it is because I am anti-mainstream....  Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have just posted an UPDATE to my One Month Review, please check it out.  I would also like to Thank everyone for their votes and taking the time to read my review!   As always, keep on "Stepping" folks!!!  

Community Council Member

Gunny | Richmond, VA (USA)

Ionic Adidas Edition, Versa Special Edition, Aria 2 & Flyer | iPhone & Windows 10

Take a look at the Fitbit Help site for further Assistance & Information.

Best Answer
0 Votes