Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Ionic experience after 10 days ownership

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have had Fitbit Ionic for around 10 days, and whilst the concept is good, the product is simply not fit for purpose.
Specifically:
- sync crashes all the time, esp. if you turn on all-day sync function
- notifications don't work properly
- heat rate sensor is wildly inaccurate (compared to Garmin worn at the same time!)

Smaller but just as irritating are things like the Strava app which does not sync reliably, even though the data is captured, as well as the strap being unnecessarily fiddly to buckle.

Finally, at the time of launch, Fitbit were unable to deliver any music streaming app in UK (unlike the US) or Wallet functionality in UK (available on the Ionic in US and Canada) - it all adds up to a product that was rushed out in advance of Apple Watch3 and in time for Christmas, when it is still full of bugs and simply not ready yet.

In time, these issues may resolve themselves, although as an ex-Pebble owner (who Fitbit bought in order to create their own smartwatch), these syncing issues are all too familiar.

My Ionic is heading back to Fitbit for a refund - I advise not buying this product for 6-9 months minimum until it is sorted out.

Best Answer
65 REPLIES 65

Yes, there was one, not so long ago!

Best Answer

Well, I bought mine today in a local store here in Switzerland. And so far I am very happy. I was a little concerned after reading all the negative posts. Set up was finished in around 25 min., syncs works perfectly ( Iphone 6 ). The screen of the watch has no gaps ( as discussed in another thread ), weather app worked right away, also no crashes with the alarm app. I have not tried music transfer yet, but I was able to add my credit card from cornercard, available in fitbit pay since yesterday I guess.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

That being said, I had plenty of issues with my Charge HR 2 and Customer Services were amazing and got it right the 3rd time - will you get this with another manufacturer? I highly doubt it dude.   

Because the other manufacturers deliver higher build quality? 

This is actually what bothers me the most about Fitbit. I've had Customer Service replace devices when it was clearly a software issue. Call them up and say "I still have the problem" and they send another device with the same problem. So I wait a month or two and new firmware comes out and it fixes the problem. And then we have the band problems. So many Fitbit wrist trackers, so many band problems.

From where I sit, Fitbit cuts corners on build quality and relies on Customer Service to swap things out. Everyone I know has replaced their devices more than once (in particular: Flex, Charge HR, Charge 2, Surge). All fine until the warranty is up, and then you get 25% discount to entice you to spend more money and upgrade. I politely say please stop wasting my time and build quality into the device.

Nice app, easy to look at for a quick summary of step related activity level. And with all of Fitbit's experience, you would think we wouldn't see a single report of condensation in HRM sensor, or cockeyed displays, LED bleed, or Ionic dying after a swim. Sigh.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

@bbarrera - very fair comments actually. Ideally, shouldn't need to use Customer Services if the problems didn't exist in the first place, touché indeed. 

Best Answer

No doubt fitbit has some software and hardware problems to address. Even if only 10% of watches; that’s far too much. It seems they haven’t quiet mastered the nanomoulding maybe? I plan to upgrade a Charge 2 this Christmas, so fitbit needs to get this sorted. They do have competition. 

Best Answer

Software seems to be a major problem for Fitbit I'm on my 3rd Fitbit having had the Surge then the Blaze and now the Ionic and everytime the software has been poor whoever is involved in software at Fitbit need the boot

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

@bbarrera - very fair comments actually. Ideally, shouldn't need to use Customer Services if the problems didn't exist in the first place, touché indeed. 

I'm a little frustrated with Fitbit, after sending Force back the Surge was disappointing on many levels, and Blaze wasn't worth the $ compared to Apple Watch (because I use iPhone as Fitbit step tracker). My AW0 isn't perfect either, but has great build quality, integrates with bike computer and weight lifting apps, and is more useful all day long.

I like the Fitbit app, and challenges/community are fun. The ecosystem needs some work, and Fitbit needs to open up.

My iPhone is a very good step tracker, keeping me in Fitbit family, and I found a way to auto-sync bike rides via Endomondo. Really wish Fitbit added (paid or free) option to use other devices like AW. And more importantly would allow importing activities with GPS and HR from other devices (bike computer via Strava would be fine).

Spending some time on this forum to see how it goes with Ionic rollout, over lunch I just watched a couple Rizknows videos over lunch and he noted all the bugs. I know those will be fixed over time, just not sure about the other stuff that matters to me.

Best Answer

There are definitely issues for the IOS users who have updated their iPhones and iPads to IOS 11. And it's not just problems with the Fitbit app. There are complaints of many other apps crashing or simply not working as they did before the IOS update.

To try to resolve some of the issues, please make sure your IOS device is updated to the latest version of IOS 11. Apple has already issued 2 updates to correct bugs in the original IOS 11.  

Also, make sure your Fitbit app is updated to the latest version. Fitbit is trying feverishly to keep up with the IOS changes. 

I wish I could offer a fix-all solution. And I'm sorry for all the problems everyone is having. I purposely did not update my iPhone or my iPads yet because this is not the first time Apple has put the burden of quality control on the outside developers and the end users.  But rest assured, it will all come together. 

P.S. I'm not speaking "officially" for Fitbit. I'm speaking for myself, based on my 20+ years experience in Customer Support for a couple major companies, answering questions and developing classes on both IOS and PC. I'm a huge Fitbit fan (as you can probably tell). I'm also a big Apple fan and own 2 iPads and an iPhone. But Apple did not do well with this rollout, IMHO. 

Best Answer

Well said, @xSzam. Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Again, I use an IPhone 7 IOS 11.0.2

i have no problems whatsoever with Ionic from the start!

it run’s Well with IOS 11.0.1 and IOS 11.0.2

Best Answer
0 Votes

@taz4352 wrote:

@Fattire wrote:

Ive been perfectly happy with mine so far

No issues with notifications by text or Gmail (have an android).

This is a superb fitness watch.  Absolutely fantastic.  I find the experience easy to use and good.  I do wish that I could talk to it and have Google assistant.  This reminds me of ownership of an iPhone in the early years; where the iPhone provided an overall experience that was fun and good to use but lacked stupidly simple things like copy and paste.  

I totally am having the same experience.  I've had no problems whatsoever and I am just loving the Ionic.  It works beautifully and just as expected.

Me three love my Ionic yeah the music transfer is slow and the pay in UK doesnt work but i don't feel like a beta tester at all 

cracking watch that works well now and will work better by xmas 🙂

Aww I didn't Track It So It Doesn't Count!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

It makes me laugh when people buy a brand new piece of technology expecting it to be absolutely perfect out of the box. This is a new product, of course there are going to be some issues. I have experienced less issues with Ionic than I did with Charge 2, so, that shows some progress in development.

Best Answer

Really glad you don't work in healthcare then.

That sounded a bit flippant, maybe. But it's a serious point.

Right now, in my job, I'm working with patients testing an asthma device, bluetooth connected to an app.  If the device had anywhere near the kind of connectivity issues that the Ionic has had, it would never get past beta testing. Some might say that healthcare tech sets the bar higher than most industries, and that Fitbit data isn't safety critical.

But actually, if you listen to the Fitbit CEO, the reason the oxygen sensor is in the Ionic hardware is to provide the potential for proper healthcare reporting capability in the future.

This suggests that Fitbit wants to be taken seriously as a trusted device - if they want to play in that ballpark, the Ionic testing process is going to have to lift its game.....

Best Answer

Every time I use one of these new sports watches I am reminded how far ahead the MotoActv was.  RIP MotoActv.....That being said this one has worked for me but my biggest issue are screen timeouts and the pain in the butt that is getting it to just come one when lifting up my wrist....50% of the time I have to hit the button.

I just did my first run and was disappointed but I think these are settings issues.  Run was in KM instead of Miles so I will fix that.  Also I was surprised there were no audio cues and I think I found that on the website settings so we shall see what tomorrow brings. 

As compared to my TomTom Spark this is hands down a better unit.  The spark was so picky on what headphones I was attaching to it and music transferring was a pain.  The pandora $4 per month playlist was pretty solid on my first run.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jorkal wrote:

Again, I use an IPhone 7 IOS 11.0.2

i have no problems whatsoever with Ionic from the start!

it run’s Well with IOS 11.0.1 and IOS 11.0.2

This is indeed my experience so far too. I have it for twelve days now. It looks and feels great and no problems at all. There are still features that I am not using but I will get around those in due time. I am also very excited about its potential and the apps that are going to be developed. As for the argument that there are so many issues, the postings here represent a very small fraction of the people who own the ionic. You can also see that on the Amazon reviews. The vast majority of owners are happy campers.

Good luck and happy fitbiting!

Best Answer

Personnally, i am somewhat disapointed with the watch.

I used pebble for a long time, and I can see things that are not working properly.

About what top poster said..

Music: i don't use and don't really care until i get something to listen it 😛

Notifications: i confirm what was said. I had problems with notifications. Especially with whatsapp. I put it as SMS default app and things seems fine. I did it yesterday, so i have to check if it solved my problem on long term (and if sms will be displayed correctly by the watch)

Wallet: no bank here are partner of fitbit

My points of disapointment:

Sleep tracking : really a problem here. Sleep stage are often not displayed. Every time i have to wake yp in the night, the sleep stage are not displayed in the report. I have a baby at home, let's say i don't get sleep stage 4 nights / 5.

Customization on the watch interface: we can't decide the function associated with several actions (long press of a watch button, the slide at top of the watch...)

Fitbit gallery: don't know if they plan to let it like that, but if yes, that's totally inappropriate. You can't search or filter and there is no description...

Watch settings: two menus, that's one more than needed. The one that you can access by sliding to the left of the watch need to be removed and integrated in the setting app

I hope they will work hard on these issues. I submitted a ticket for sleep tracking...

I must say i have the same feeling as top poster. Not enough things prepared (like fitbit app gallery) before the launch...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Nobblytanner wrote:

I have had Fitbit Ionic for around 10 days, and whilst the concept is good, the product is simply not fit for purpose.
Specifically:
- sync crashes all the time, esp. if you turn on all-day sync function
- notifications don't work properly
- heat rate sensor is wildly inaccurate (compared to Garmin worn at the same time!)

Let me provide my experiences, in reply to the original post:

- I haven't experienced a "crash" of the software at any time, either on the watch or on the Fitbit app on my phone.  And I've been using the all-day sync function all the time, from the very beginning.

- Notifications:  I'm not sure about any sense that "they don't work properly."  Frankly, this isn't that big of a feature for me -- for crying out loud, my phone is right in my pocket, or right on the table in front of me.  I have tended to cut the notifications back, because I'd rather just see the watch face instead of having to hack through a bunch of notifications to get to the watch face.  Still, the notifications I have running seem to be working perfectly.  My phone will ring with a phone call, and vibrate, and my Ionic will vibrate, and show me the number -- I'm literally "beat over the head" with notifications that I've got a phone call.  The same goes with messages and Facebook replies -- they all seem to activate on my phone and my Ionic at the exact same times.  I certainly don't see anything wrong with my notifications.

- Heart rate sensor:  Yes, I was getting some numbers that were insanely higher than I had ever seen with my Charge 2, and higher than the hospital-grade pulse oximeters I have been using at an exercise program I attend at my local hospital.  But I was wearing my Ionic band quite loosely, which I really wasn't happy with.  One replacement band later, and a bit of adjustment that got it fitting quite a bit tighter on my wrist -- though not "too tight" by any means -- resulted in perfectly fine heart rate numbers.  Like my Charge 2, my Ionic is, if not in exact agreement with the hospital's pulse oximeters, only one or two beats different.  I have done at least a dozen comparisons by now, during all stages of my exercise session and afterwards, and the Ionic was right on, every time.  I'm thinking that this is why Fitbit advises to push your Ionic up on your wrist during exercise sessions -- it simply needs a tighter fit to accurately record your heart rate while you're exercising.  Or, you could do as I did, and just tighten your band one notch.

Beyond these issues, while it certainly took some truly exasperating work to get my Ionic set up and working properly -- the Weather app was especially challenging -- I did get everything working, and I'm quite happy with my Ionic now.  Frankly, the main thing I wanted was the functionality of my old Charge 2, but with a screen I could actually read, especially outdoors.  And I certainly was able to find a watch face that I'm happy with.  So, my Ionic absolutely does that.

Again, notifications aren't that big of a deal for me, but at least now I can see the number that's calling me, without having to grab my phone.  But, that said, the next step is to grab the phone and do something about it.  So, this isn't functionality that has me flipping cartwheels down the street, to put it into perspective.

The Weather app is perhaps the one app that I was most interested in.  I can generally see what's going on with the weather because I'm either out in it, or I can see it out a window, but what I really want to see is what the temperature it is outside.  And, now working properly, the Weather app certainly does that.  I would like to have some kind of actual control of when and how often it syncs with my phone, but it usually has been updated within 15 minutes of whenever I check it.  So, that's working well enough.

I really don't need "music" on the device, so I haven't gone there.  Same with most of the other apps that have been included at launch.  I think the Wallet app would be pretty convenient, but not if I have to enter a code EVERY SINGLE TIME I PUT THE DEVICE ON MY WRIST -- and still, I think that would be the same if I set it up to require the code every time I make a purchase.  How on EARTH could that possibly be "easier" than opening up my wallet and pulling out a card to use?  So, I haven't been willing to use the Wallet app.

In the end, the Ionic is getting the job done with the apps I want to use, so far.  Most certainly, I'm happier using it than I was with the Charge 2, mainly because I can SEE the dang display.  In every other way, it is functioning as well as the Charge 2 did -- sleep tracking is working properly, automatic recognition of exercise is working, and so on.  But, as far as "smart watch" functions go, I'm really just using the Weather app, and getting duplicate notifications that I'm also getting on my phone that's very nearly always within arm's length.  So, the biggest value to me is being able to choose a watch face that meets my needs, and being able to SEE that face, indoors and outdoors.

I'm looking forward to app development that will hopefully happen over time.  My state has just implemented a law that really cracks down on interacting with your phone while driving -- you essentially can't touch it while you are on a public road -- even if you're stopped at a red light.  About the only thing I want to do is tell the Shazam app on my phone to start listening to the song playing on my XM/Sirius radio, and perhaps some day I'll be able to do that with a tap on my Ionic.  Stuff like that would be interesting to me. 

(Oh, and yes, I have tried to do the Shazam thing via voice commands, but while it works fine to launch Shazam, which will automatically start listening, it seems that "while Shazam is listening," it takes over the microphone to the extent that you can't do any further voice commands, such as telling Shazam to stop listening, to start listening to the next song, and so on.  I'll definitely keep on trying some form of "control Shazam without touching my phone" functionality, if developers come up with any solutions.)

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

for crying out loud, my phone is right in my pocket, or right on the table in front of me.

Frankly, the main thing I wanted was the functionality of my old Charge 2, but with a screen I could actually read, especially outdoors.

LOL, the 'pull out your phone' argument is exactly what my wife said when I told her of my plans to upgrade from $70 Flex to $130 Force. She had a point, we all know the Fitbit phone app has more info at a glance, by dinner lots of green circles on a good day. She argued for days with me about the upgrade before dropping it when I sold a couple things on Craigslist. Just last month I almost pulled the trigger and bought AW3, and last week I almost bought the Ionic. Having recently upgraded my bike, both times I knew she would send me back to the store to return it LOL. Hey, Christmas is coming up so I guess thats my angle? Starting to feel like Ralphie dropping Red Ryder BB gun hints in A Christmas Story Smiley Frustrated

On a serious note, its easy to be dismissive of what you don't have (e.g. real notifications) or haven't tried (pay). I've had a smartwatch for two years and can tell you it saves time and makes a busy life on conference calls and traveling a lot easier. Distracted driving laws are a good thing (I'm a cyclist), really happy with turn-by-turn on my wrist in rental cars, and asking to Shazam a song without touching my phone. At the grocery store I enter reward card on terminal (for the discounts), and about 3 seconds later I've paid. No futzing around with inserting card into chip reader, waiting 10 or 15 or 20 seconds for it to beep, and then removing it and returning to wallet. And no quitting apps to pay. Not sure I can give up that for Ionic, want to see where Fitbit takes the Ionic OS because apps can only do so much at this time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the exact same issues. I have also been in contact with Fitbit and still no resolution. We are now 3 days in. I am beyond annoyed! I have had to change back to my Blaze and may just stick with it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Cracking post, @SunsetRunner - a very good read 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes