Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with syncing

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I purchased the Ionic about a month ago.  I have been very disappointed in the connectivity as well as the step accuracy.  Due to my work schedule, I was doing great to get 11K steps a day.  Now that I have the Ionic, I'm killing myself trying to get 7K steps a day.  (Compared ionic with alta that I still own)

Why is so difficult for FitBit to get the Ionic right?  I've had to delete and re-pair the Ionic to my phone 4 times now and it takes a while as it always has trouble finding it.  

I love the appearance and the ease to operate it.  I love the features (when the work properly).  But I have suggested to my friends not to purchase until the bugs are worked out.

Best Answer
19 REPLIES 19

@ImDelilah wrote:

Why is so difficult for FitBit to get the Ionic right?  I've had to delete and re-pair the Ionic to my phone 4 times now and it takes a while as it always has trouble finding it. 

Why are you routinely deleting and re-adding your Ionic to your account?  This seems counterproductive. Have you tried just using the phone's Bluetooth settings to Forget the Device, and then using the app to sync it?

Best Answer

I've managed to get it to start syncing again (usually) by closing the app, (in Android) going to App Info -> FitBit -> Force Close, turning off the bluetooth, opening the app, and tapping on the header to re-enable bluetooth. 

But the fact that any of these solutions have become "the norm" to get the Ionic to work again, so many weeks past the release date, is blatantly unacceptable. The fact that fitbit has done absolutely nothing to address these issues, or even admit that these problem exists (not any acknowledgement that I've seen anyway), just shows that they've gone entirely off the rails. Best-case scenario, we spent $300 to be alpha testers for a product that shouldn't have made it past QA. At worst, $300 for frustration, a raging dumpster fire on a wristband.  

Best Answer

I'm sorry, @FiZ1point5, I wasn't aware that this has become the "norm" or that Fitbit has not acknowledged "that these problem exists".  The syncing problems, according to the other help forums, is not limited to the Ionic, and Fitbit has acknowledged that and is working on a solution. But, my reply to this thread was a simple solution to a temporary problem that will hopefully be resolved soon.

Best Answer

One question: how can you say that regarding steps counting the ALTA is right and the Ionic is wrong? Couldn't be the other way around?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I say that the Alta was correct because I actually wore both and counted out steps in 20, 50 and 100 step increments to check.  The Alta was correct each time whereas the Ionic was off by 7 steps at the 20 step increment, 19 steps at the 50 step increment and 43 steps at the 100 step increment.

Best Answer

I say that the Alta was correct because I actually wore both and counted out steps in 20, 50 and 100 step increments to check.  The Alta was correct each time whereas the Ionic was off by 7 steps at the 20 step increment, 19 steps at the 50 step increment and 43 steps at the 100 step increment.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree that it seems counter productive but I've done everything else that tech support tells me to do and then they say for me to remove it and re add it to my account.

I'm following instructions of Fitbit tech support.

Best Answer

Read my reply:

I counted my steps and verified!

Best Answer

I agree, however there is nothing wrong with the hardware, it is all purely software and it has in my opinion been released unfinished.

A shame as they will alienate their hard core users. I  have used most mainstream smartwatches, Pebble, Apple Watch, Android Wear, Samsung Gears, and this is by far a frustrating experience for users.

For a none technical person it is in  my opinion a deal breaker.

Barry

Best Answer

@FiZ1point5

I have had a look at the ionic community page because I am struggling with my Blaze, GPRS connectivity to my Samsung s7 edge (drops out mid run) and sync issues in general. On alternate days I have to unpair my tracker, delete my fitbit app, reinstall the app and reconnect my tracker. This seems to enable usability and for me is "the norm" but I don't consider it acceptable. I have been on the community boards for a couple of months about this and also contacting fitbit support via twitter. I am quite exasperated by the whole thing and thinking seriously of moving away from fitbit sadly, after 15 months of happy use I have had 3 months of drama to get my tracker to, sort of, work 

Best Answer

I'm in a similar situation: I've been with fitbit since 2011, but they've so completely changed how they deal with problems (i.e. "not at all") that I don't have much faith in the company at this point. They'd been great to work with before this Ionic came out. They'd even replaced a faulty tracker before after stepping through the issues instead of pointing to their "How-To" page. But now? Now, they can't even put forth enough effort to admit that there are issues with a product that's nowhere near ready for release. I guess they're just going into full denial mode after ripping-off everyone that bought the nearly-unusable Ionic. 

Best Answer

I would never buy another fitbit. I think the new trackers are too complex for the app. I am researching the Samsung smart watches. I have a Samsung phone so hopefully there will be less issues (?) 

Best Answer

@celiawheelia Hi I have the Gear S3, unfortunately it had to go back for repair so I got the Ionic in the meantime.

Checkout the Samusing Health application on your phone, it can log steps too and I would recommend you look at the Gear Sport, which is slightly smaller than the Gear S3.

It is a great piece of hardware and I have never had any synchronisation issues with the software period.

I would go a far to say that the Samsung Health app on Android and a Samsung Gear Watch is superior to Apple Health and the Apple Watch (I also have both)

There is a lot of potential in the Ionic I believe so I will not be returning mine once my S3 returns.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's really sad because I'd been happy with fitbit for several years, and I want the Ionic to do what it claims. I hope it can be successful, but at this rate, I only expect them to "fix" it with the next model that they'll sell for something like $400 in Q4.

@Fitbit, if you're listening, you need to completely change your PR strategy. If not, I don't know if you'll be able to bounce back from this product. I'm already well on my way to being a brand anti-advocate. 

Best Answer

I'm at the same point you are.  The only reason I got the Ionic was that my records were with Fitbit already.  The Surge was a disappointment as well.  Granted they solved the initial syncing problems in that product. However, initially the Surge was rated at 10 ATM water resistance\proof.  That was quickly proven false.  That spec is no longer anywhere on their website for the Surge.  The Surge would even fog from sweat.  Fitbit, thankfully, replace mine 2x. So I had a total of 3 Surges. All failed due to moisture problems.  The 2nd and 3rd I didn't shower with, it was all from just working out moisture.  It's too bad the QA process is awful with their products.  For what they cost, these should be high-end products.

Perhaps that's the cost of doing business with their HQ in San Francisco.

Ionic (27.32.10.20), Surge (Did not live up to 5 ATM Spec originally on tech spec), Samsung Galaxy S5, Moto G5 Plus
Best Answer

I, too, am disappointed with fitbit.  Spent 2 hours "updating" new ionic, only to have it stop at 25%. 

-Called "customer service."  After about an hour of push this, restart that, was told that my MS Surface tablet does not support, updating the watch.

-Wait, what?  I have the fitbit app, on the SAME tablet, that I've been using for my 3-yr-old-Surge.  All that the tablet, connected via wifi, is necessary for is a conduit, by which the update (via signal/data) should go.

NOPE.

Requested RMA to return this **ahem**, was told that I"d have to pay for shipping.

Will give it one more try, via my home wifi, if not...

Good-bye fitbit.

Best Answer

Ive been having the same issue since. I got mine...I have had to delete and reinstall to the app about 4 times now and I am over it! I am ticked about this to be honest. 
I read other forums that said to delete if forgetting doesn't work. Well neither works  Smiley Mad

Best Answer

I did this and I was so happy with the samsung but I never got a smartwatch or any kind of tracker and I am a swimmer so it was really important to be to be waterproof. I'm so disappointed in the reviews now 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes. This does not work. Only removing it will get it to sync
Sense, LG V60 Thinq Android 10, Surface Pro Win 10
Best Answer
0 Votes