Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not working after swim

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I took my 2 day old ionic to the beach today. Swimmed in the sea on and off for about 2hours. Batteries were still half full and the poof it went off and won't get back on even if I plugged it to charger.

I do notice some kind of water condensation on the sensors. 

Should I go back to apple watch now?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, @Leonado, I would get in touch with Fitbit Customer Support (you can find details of how to be in touch on contact.fitbit.com).  I have heard a few reports of some of the early Ionics having trouble with the waterproof seal.  Sounds like you might have got unlucky 😞

Customer Support will sort this out for you.  Good luck!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
19 REPLIES 19

Hi, @Leonado, I would get in touch with Fitbit Customer Support (you can find details of how to be in touch on contact.fitbit.com).  I have heard a few reports of some of the early Ionics having trouble with the waterproof seal.  Sounds like you might have got unlucky 😞

Customer Support will sort this out for you.  Good luck!

Best Answer

Same here. First post. Brand new ionic for Xmas. One short 5 min dip in the ocean. No surf just flat water.  On exit from water display blank. Wont tun on not matter what I do.

Water in ionic

water behind HR sensor

Best Answer
0 Votes
Well they replaced a new one and it’s working fine now. Good service I must give them that.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

My Fitbit Ionic completely died after swimming. It is only a couple of months old and this is the first time I have gone in the water with it. I am now trying to work with Fitbit support to get this resolved. So far I have gone through the whole reset process with their support group without that working.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I received an email with a shipping label to send back my Ionic that stopped working. I was told it would take about 10 days to turn around a replacement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Enoksen, sounds like pretty good service to me.  We all hate those delays, but Fitbit needs to check what's going on whenever a device fails.

Best Answer

Wish I read this post before. As a surfer I really was keen for the Fitbit. I have had the watch 2 days and first surf it broke. Watch worked for 2hrs got out and had all stats then boom. Nothing. I am so disappointed. I don't even want a replacement. They need to refund me and that's it. Had they known there was a problem with seals they should have recalled stock and replaced them. I understand sometimes you get a dud but when there is a cimmcommuwith the same problems something should be done. Being new to Fitbit my trust in it is now gone as it was expensive considering the smartwatch it is. Let's see how they respond to my email but sounds like they have a great customer service.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I won’t give up just yet. Custy service was prompt and I am happy witb the replacement. Still beats Apple Watch hands down.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks I appreciate that for sure. I was definitely sold as I did allot of
research on it before purchasing. Obviously one cannot research everything
and did not come across such a problem when doing so. I definitely am not
am Apple watch fan for sure that is why I thought this the best option. I
will wait to hear from them and see what they say 😉
Best Answer
0 Votes

Don't bother submitting if it is out of the warranty period. And don't go swimming with your supposed water proof watch. Sad a company that has known issues with the early release of a product still won't stand by that product. Garmin is looking better and better. I will never own another fitbit, second one that failed within a year and a half.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Got my ionic a little over a year ago. No issues before, but just went swimming and now the screen has gone gray and battery wears out in a day. This sux

Best Answer
Yeah I sent a message to Fitbit and within a week they replaced my watch
and didn't ask for the old one back.
Their service is incredible. I advise to send them a mail and watch how
good they are with their service.
I was pleasantly surprised even though I had read from many reviews that
their service is second to none.
Best of luck
Best Answer
0 Votes

I went for into the water and swam briefly (less than 20 minutes) for two days and now the watch us dead.  Unfortunately, my watch was beyond the warranty period.  They offered me 40 percent off the purchase of a new watch which makes the watch a few dollars cheaper than on Amazon.  I am not sure I want another Fitbit based on the waterproof issue fo anlihht swim.  May need to look at other brands.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey with mine happened the same. Do you know how much it takes to receive a new one? I'm in the US only for the next two weeks..

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yeah it's unfortunate Sorry to hear that.
I eventually also just gave up on the watch because for the price there are
far better options out there that don't give the same amount of issues
Fitbit has.
I eventually went with a Samsung galaxy although I can't swim with it cos
it's not the sport option and super happy with it.

For swimming I reckon I am just gonna eventually go Garmin.
Has massive support and great apps for it as well as robust and sporty.
Sumhow there isn't enough app supports for the software they use either.
Anyways I hope you make a great choice on your next purchase.

As much as Fitbit support is incredible it just isn't worth it with the
amount of issues they do have 😞
Pity cos they great looking watches.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have used it at the pool all summer and I take showers with it, no problems. This past week I went on vacation to Florida. Wore it in the ocean and in a few hours it stopped working hasn’t worked since. I will look into it when I get back home from vacation. Just wanted to see if anyone else was having the same problem. Thanks 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks. I contacted but they just told me to reset as new. This worked for about a week and same issues. I even purposely avoided getting wet. Was yours still under warranty?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yeah I had mine 2 days I think.
Well never buy Fitbit again. Great service but I have a bad taste with them
now unfortunately because it's not a robust watch at all.
Too many problems

Hope you get sorted
Best Answer
0 Votes

My Fitbit Ionic stopped working three days into a sea-kayaking trip where it got wet from paddling and from one swim. It didn't work for a couple of weeks until I had the idea to leave it in a bowl of very warm tap water for a couple of hours, and that seemed to solve the problem. Probably some salt build-up caused the problem and the warm fresh water dissolved the salt away. I fixed it only yesterday so I hope it won't revert to being non-functional soon. Next time I take it to sea water I will make sure to rinse it off in fresh water later.

Best Answer
0 Votes