Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notification issue - Troubleshoot step for fitbit developers

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello @moderators

Was thinking how about sending troubleshooting steps from community members to the developers for getting ideas on what steps they can reproduce to fix ionic Notification and Sync issues. Many of us have added lot of alternatives to make it work. Keeping it one place may help the developers to reproduce errors

I will add mine.

First time

Notification worked for a day around 12 hours after that notifications stopped

Second Time

1. Removed ionic from app, 2. Turned off Bluetooth, 3. Shut down ionic watch, 4. Added ionic back to the app, 5. Turn on watch, 6. set up notification, 7. Disabled "Call","Text Events", "Calendar Events", "Email", 8. Selected Apps in App notifications for which wanted to get notifications, 9. "Enable Notification Widget" and "Require Encryption" unchecked, 10. Send a test mail to check notification

Result : It worked I got a notification. I got some notifications after that for next hour.

Then I went out of my Phone's Blue tooth range. I came back and opened the app. Clicked the "Notifications" under "General" Section

It asked me to enable notifications. From that point onward I did not receive notification.

Conclusion. Getting out of Bluetooth range seems to have unhooked the phone notification service from Android Notification service.

I have been running several other scenarios and I will keep on posting them if it can help the devs.

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Thanks for stopping by @Purnendu and thank you for the thorough feedback for the Fitbit devices. This has not gone unnoticed and be sure that I will pass this along. Smiley Very Happy 

Notifications skip or stop occasionally for several reasons that don't suggest a problem with your device or the Fitbit app. 

• Your phone was too far away. It must be within 30 feet of your Fitbit device to transmit the notification.
    For texts, you have the conversation open on your phone. Your Fitbit device shows new texts you haven't already read.
    You changed a related setting on your phone, such as turning on Do Not Disturb, Quiet hours, or Driving mode. 
  • You're using another Bluetooth product. If you have Bluetooth products like speakers, headsets, or car stereos paired to your phone along with your Fitbit device, you may have trouble using more than one at the same time. 
  • The connection between your phone and Fitbit device is unstable. Bluetooth signals are susceptible to disconnecting or dropping occasionally. If you have an Android phone, check the following:
    • Make sure Enable Notification Widget is on. You can find this with the other notification settings in the Fitbit app.
    • Make sure Always Connected is on. This improves your Bluetooth connection but also drains your Fitbit device's battery more quickly. Turn it off and on as you prefer.
  • The app that should send the notification can't do so
  • Your device was syncing. Syncing can sometimes prevent or delay a notification. 
  • You just updated the Fitbit app. Restart your phone and try setting up notifications again.

If you've reviewed the list above and can't get notifications to work, force quit the Fitbit app and reopen it to sync your Fitbit device.

Notifications should work as expected after your device syncs. If they don't, continue with the following steps:

1. From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap the Account icon >  your device image.
  2. Tap Notifications.
  3. Turn off all notifications
  4. Turn off Bluetooth on your phone.
  5. Restart your phone.
  6. Restart your Ionic. 
  7. Open the Fitbit app and turn notifications back on.
  8. Sync your phone 

If after following these steps they still don't work, let move on with the following:

1. Tell your phone to "forget" your device, removing the connection between the phone and the Fitbit device. 
    1. On your phone, go to Settings > Bluetooth and find your Fitbit device in the list.
    2. Find an option to forget the device.
  2. Open the Fitbit app and set up notifications again.

Hope these steps help! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Hello, I like many others in this forum have followed through your solutions along with many other types of solutions to make it work temporarily. Hope you guys are debugging to fix it at source. We will any way be juggling through procedures to make it work now and then.

As of now its not working. You may need to ask the community to troubleshoot steps. They are here to help you guys to succeed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

One of my latest attempt of fixing resulted it in working for 30 mins before it stopped again

1. Go to notifications under General - It shows me "Enable Notifications" even though i have enabled it before. That leads me to think the hook between Notification service and app got broken when i went out of range. 

2. I pressed "Enable Notification" . Here it showed "Fitbit Notification Service" checked yes. I wonder why it showed me "Enable Notification" in first place in Step 1.

3. I turned it off and turned "Fitbit Notification Service" Off and again turned it back on.

4. Pressed back button - Yuhuu it shows me the notification options now. The notification options were not erased. They are the same as before.

5. I now asked it to Sync again and it synced

6. Notifications started flowing in for 30 minutes

It stopped flowing in after 30 minutes or so. I did not observe this time what made it stop. My best guess would be going out of the bluetooth range.

Once it stopped again coming back to BT range keeping it next to watch did not turn on notification.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve done everything on the list several times. Not receiving notifications is very frustrating.FIX IT or it’s going back! 

Best Answer