Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safety features for the Ionic

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello Fitbit i have some questions about the Fitbit Ionic coming out in October.

My concern is:

You say that you don't have to have your phone with you, but what about safety? what if you run at night, will the Ionic have a panic app that sends your location to people if you are in trouble? Also, how does the GPS work if you don't have your phone with you and how reliable is it? I have the charge 2 and sometimes it doesn't connect to my phone when I go for a bike ride. Can you turn on and off the GPS on the Ionic itself? Is the band the same as the charge 2, as it make my skin vary itchy and red among other things. What banks will be supported on fitpay, I live in Canada and I bank with Coast Capital and how secure is it?

What I am looking forward to:

The first is that it is waterproof as I am a paddler and I paddle all year round, finally I can stop worrying about my fitbit getting wet or about capsizing with it on so a big thank you to you, as I use my fitbit as my watch. Second is that you can leave your phone and wallet behind and still listen to music and buy things. And that it has a really good battery life.

P.S

I love Fitbit the trackers are great and i absolutely love the app it is so much better then garmin, i switched to the garmin vivofit 3 as it was waterproof but i hated the app so i switched back it Fitbit.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Don't see how could have a panic app to notify anyone. With no cellular service, don't think it can communicate at all except by linking to phone, or wifi if at home. But no need for that app if have phone with you.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

As for the GPS, as described and as the Surge, the GPS will be on your wrist, no phone needed. The GPS will be off untill the user turns it on.

As for payment, that rains to be seen, my guess it will be attached to a card, not a bank.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue wrote:

As for payment, that rains to be seen, my guess it will be attached to a card, not a bank.

@Rich_Laue Credit cards are issued by banks, and Fitbit will need to negotiate deals with each bank (just like deals are required for streaming music services).

Two separate websites are reporting the following banks will be supported at launch:

At launch, compatible banks include ANZ, Banco Santander, Bank of America, Capital One, HSBC, KBC Bank Ireland, Royal Bank of Canada, and US Bank.

http://www.techradar.com/news/fitbit-pay-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-mobile-payment-se...

and

banks include ANZ, Banco Santander, Bank of America, Capital One, HSBC, KBC Bank Ireland, OCBC Bank, Royal Bank of Canada, UOB, and US Bank.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/142115-what-is-fitbit-pay-how-does-it-work-and-which-banks-support-i...

Other banks will be added as Fitbit negotiates deals.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

A fitbit is a health/activity tracker. It's not to be a replacement of a cell phone or dependent on in case of a emergency. It's not marketed or produced in that way whatsoever. 

Best Answer