Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sauna Resistance

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

As someone who prefers to wear a watch at all times, I am concerned if the Fitbit Ionic is resistant to extreme heats (ie. wear it in the sauna). Has anyone tried it?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hello @Wink_0077, it's good to see you around in the forums. 

Ionic is not designed specifically for those environments, but I haven't seen other people experiencing any trouble while wearing the watch in the sauna.

However, there are several factors to take into account, the steam could certainly interfere with the heart rate sensor if the temperature is too high for example, but you can also follow some of the steps provided here to maximize the accuracy of heart rate data. 

I hope this helps. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

No. Just unboxed mine and read the safety info. Unlike my neighbor I was helping yesterday who threw the instructions over her shoulder, then asked me what to do. There was a lot of internal chuckling on my part. Apparently I'm rare in reading every scrap of paper, hah!

"Do not use your Fitbit product in a sauna or steam room."

"Do not expose your Fitbit to extremely high or low temperatures ."

Best Answer

I used to wear my Ionic in sauna for 6 months+ now. I visit different sauna once to twice a week. I have worn it in steam bath and during several infusions. Nothing has happened. Everything is fine. If you are still scared, just put your hand above your watch during infusions.

Habe in den letzten 6 Monaten meine Ionic in verschiedensten Saunen zu jeder Gelegenheit (Aufguss, Dampfbad, etc.) getragen. Insgesamt waren es mind. 100 Saunagänge bei etwa 30 Saunabesuchen. Habe keine Auswirkungen feststellen können. Auch die Akkulaufzeit hat sich nicht verändert. Wer sich unsicher ist kann auch während des Aufgusses die Hand auf die Uhr legen.

Best Answer

How long are you typically in the sauna?  I am in there for about 20 minutes and would love to see how my heart rate changes while in there and I was hoping fitbit had a product capable of working in that enviroment.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Wink_0077, it's good to see you around in the forums. 

Ionic is not designed specifically for those environments, but I haven't seen other people experiencing any trouble while wearing the watch in the sauna.

However, there are several factors to take into account, the steam could certainly interfere with the heart rate sensor if the temperature is too high for example, but you can also follow some of the steps provided here to maximize the accuracy of heart rate data. 

I hope this helps. 

Best Answer

So I have joined hotworx which is awesome. I have tried my fitbit in one of the rooms for the past two days and it did great. So i decided to do the hot works yoga today and it started to burn my wrist and then when i rushed to remove it from my wrist. Long story short it no longer is working at all. The sauna from the yoga room killed it. I had the Charge 2. I am so sad. Will have to try to find something that will withstand the temperature and the infrared technology of Hotworx.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just used my Ionic in sauna for less than 5 minutes this Friday and it’s completely dead since... maybe you are just lucky one as the device is not designed for use in sauna as per manufacturer advice. I learned it hard way 😢🙈🙈🙈😅

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes I agree. Unfortunately, mine literally burned my wrist and it's no
longer working as well. I learned the hard way and with consequences. I
should of looked it up on the fitbit website instead of listening to the
people who work at the sauna gym I go to. Thank you for responding and
answering my question.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I normally use Charge 4 in dry Sauna (90°C, 194°C), I know that this is not allowed by the producer.

I wear the watch face down (against my body) to protect it from the heat.

I normally lay down in the sauna from15 to 20minutes then I dive in the cold water for a couple of minutes.

With the above mentioned procedure I can store heart beat rate and get the relevant chart.

So far no Charge 4 damages.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@bonitalatina @SunsetRunner @AndreaBorassi Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and experience with this. 

In this case, I recommend that you get in touch with the Customer Support team so they can let you know how to proceed. The best way to get help for this problem is to chat with us online or give us a call. Click here to get connected. 

Thanks again for all the feedback provided.

Have a good day. 

Best Answer

I had versa 2 and recently switch to versa 4 (only switched because I wanted newer version) and sauna at least 4-5 times per week at 195 F for 20 plus minutes.  No issues at all with my devices.  I for the same reason as you, want to see my heart rate.  I wish actually there was a mode on our devices to log sauna use as well as deliberate cold exposure such as ice bath.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I should clarify.  I do dry sauna (not infrared) and do not add steam.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@-zb   Your listed temperature for your dry sauna exceeds the operating temperature for your Versa 4.  Versa 4 specifications   This practice isn't recommended.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes