Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen protector for Ionic

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Phone notification got me all hyped up for the new Fitbit Ionic announcement today. I always thought the charge was missing something and this new watch is exactly how I pictured it. I love my fitbits and I have been using this Screen Protector brand since the fitbit zip and until this very day, my screen looks new even if I attach it to my dog's neck collar now when we go running in the afternoon. lol! they should make one for dogs haha. I already put my order in for both my new Ionic and this shield saved all my fitbit devices. I recommend this company. 

Moderator edit: removed advertising link

IMG_3309.jpg

Best Answer
50 REPLIES 50

@PeteG-1 wrote:

@Voyo33 wrote:

Hi,

I've been looking for a tempered glass protection for my Fitbit Ionic for several days, but without success!

Can someone help me?

Go to the Nillkin website, and send them a message, anyone who thinks we should have a good, glass protector.  If they get enough momentum, they'll produce one, I've seen it happen for "smaller volume" devices, I think they're "layup overhead" is pretty small, and they've always responded, with a personal message, when I ping them.

I have a "watch" on their site, for the Ionic, and if they make one (I already pinged them), I'll be ready to purchase, I prefer a glass protector, far-and-above, nothing beats the smoothness and durability.

Nillkin works because it's thinner than most (0.26, see my other post), but curved glass is do-able too, like my OnePlus 5T, it has a good glass protector that's curved/beveled, and has been on for a couple of months.

I've a Nillkin go almost a year, without peeling, on a curved phone...

I have Nillkin too on my phone, I will try to follow your suggestion.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did as requested and got this reply from Nillkin:

Hello Terry,
how much pieces are you ready to order? Are you interested in supplying
the glass to enough big count of people?

Best wishes
nillkin.org team

On 08.01.2018, Terry wrote:
> Any chance you would consider making a tempered glass screen protector for the Fitbit Ionic?  I so desperately want that level of screen protection and there have been members of the Fitbit forums that speak very highly of your screen protectors and have requested that we ask you if you would please please please consider making one for us.

And there you have it.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@taz4352 Kind of cool, really.

They might not be ready to be "all-in", reselling an Ionic screen protector themselves, but they're willing to work with you (someone), as a reseller of sorts, and produce them for you.

Someone could do a "group buy", something I see less of these days, maybe managing the financial and flakiness has gotten harder.

I got a different message when I pinged them for my OP 5T, more of a "sit tight" type of reply, but that could also be just two different people handling the CS requests.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@taz4352@PeteG-1this was the answer they gave me:

This is Yulia from Nillkin. We received your message on our official site. Sorry, we don't make accessories for this device.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Which one you bought and from where.

thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mecrtp wrote:

I bought and used the protector that you are highlighting.  To other's questions about whether or not it is needed.... you never really know til you wish you had had one on it... so at least for now, I am electing to err in the direction of "safe".  The protector fits well and looks pretty good.  You can certainly see that it doesn't look quite the same but it is certainly visually acceptable.  It does feel less slick and the touch, really swipe sensitivity is a bit degraded.  Again, acceptable but noticeable.  For the small cost, I'd recommend getting one and trying it out.

-------------------------------

@mecrtp,

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Thx1158 wrote:

I found a couple of companies on Amazon selling screen protectors. I ordered mine yesterday. 

@Thx1158

which brand you bought.

thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

@HealthyUser wrote:

@mecrtp wrote:

I bought and used the protector that you are highlighting.  To other's questions about whether or not it is needed.... you never really know til you wish you had had one on it... so at least for now, I am electing to err in the direction of "safe".  The protector fits well and looks pretty good.  You can certainly see that it doesn't look quite the same but it is certainly visually acceptable.  It does feel less slick and the touch, really swipe sensitivity is a bit degraded.  Again, acceptable but noticeable.  For the small cost, I'd recommend getting one and trying it out.

-------------------------------

@mecrtp,

Thanks

Exactly @HealthyUser, what @mecrtp said,  this is spot-on.

IMO, it's always better to have a protector, than not, and wishing you'd had one.  
Even if you never have a "hit" hard enough to crack the screen (which many protectors help to prevent, by spreading out the force vectors), you slowly put scratches on the screen, over time.  Eventually, your display is a bit "cloudy", particularly if you compare to a new one.  In particular, there are plenty of granitic sands and similar out there, which are much harder than any gorilla glass or similar.

If you had a protector on, you just take it off (most come in packs of at least 2) and put on the new one, and your screen is "like new" again, pretty nice stuff.

I have an IQ Shield on my Ionic, they seem to make good enough ones for me, quality-wise, and are about 85-90% as slick, as mentioned.  If you read reviews, it's hard to pick a "bad" protector.

It would be nice, if someone would make a glass protector, such as Nillkin, who produce the thinner ones, that do very well on slightly curved/beveled screens, they "just stay put", IME.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi...

I've got my new Ionic on right now and I love it.

I've searched high and low and haven't been able to find a true tempered glass protector.

I really want one as I know how much damage a watch can get on my wrist. Having just upgraded from a Blaze, and having had to keep a supply of tempered glass protectors as I would destroy them weekly. The glass sits a tad higher than the rest of the surface, and in normal walking around (with a walking stick on my other hand) the edge would always catch, and would chip the edge, and crack the protector.

I haven't been able to find anything for the Ionic, so I gave another product a go, and it's not too bad. I found a product on eBay called a Max Shield Aqua Shield screen protector. It came with a bonus clear protector that is relatively thick, and covers the buttons and the main body. That helps protect the screen as it's thick enough, but a screen protector is still needed. The screen protector is a flexible screen that is applied wet, using a soapy solution, then using a squeegee, the solution is scraped out. The surface feels weird as it's got like a kind of tacky feel, and is soft, but it seems relatively tough. I also got one for my Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus as the so called tempered glass protectors don't stay on for more than a few days, and I've tried many brands.

The problem I found with the Aqua Shield is that I had fallen asleep on the couch sitting up, and when I woke up, I had a sore neck, and the screen protector was all bunched up. Obviously I had rubbed the screen whilst asleep, and had enough friction to pull the protector away.

That was last week.

Tonight I had noticed a couple hair line scratches on my nice new Ionic, so in panic mode, I've gone on the hunt for a better alternative, but none seem to exist. I had found this thread, so thought I'd pop in and see if there's a mention of a better solution. Alas, I noticed a comment mentioning the screen being curved, and I realised why there's no tempered glass protectors available.The

Screen is curved up, and across, so it would be impossible to get any air bubbles out from under a tempered glass protector. Thankfully I have a spare Aqua Shield protector, so I'll be putting it on shortly.

I had a look at the Amazon one, but that one doesn't ship to Australia. I have a US address which Australia Post has, which I can send items to, and for a fee, they forward it on to me, but it's way too expensive for something so cheap. I had bought a Spark Drink Bottle and had it forwarded it on to me, and the postage was $36.

I'll keep reading and looking, and if I find something better, I'll return and share it.

Cheers.

Gone from a Blaze to Ionic, and I'm happy so far, although I wish I could remove the apps I won't use.Hooked up to my Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus, but I wish I was still using my my BlackBerry Passport as that's a much better phone.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Just purchased a Fitbit Ionic Screen Protector Frame which is the screen protector and frame all in one and it totally covers the entire body and screen but looks great.  So far the touch screen sensitivity seems not to have been impacted.  You can look at it here:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0788N1LFG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

IMG_0951.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

BrentC24  I'm curious to know how well does the screen protector handle water? I bought the ionic because it will log swims and I plan to start.  Wondering if a screen protector is out the question since I plan on swimming. 

BrentC24

Best Answer
0 Votes