Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup runs fine, but bluetooth pairing seems incomplete

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I'm on my second round of setting up my new Ionic from scratch. First time owner. When I press and hold the "back" button, and swipe right, I get a screen with two icons at the top and it says "Connect Phone". One icon looks like a clock, and the other is a phone. Then it says "Output" and shows instructions for bluetooth pairing at the bottom. The message is slightly different if I click the phone or clock.

Setup and everything seems to run fine, and pairing with the app and account seems to work, but I suspect it is doing that over wifi. My phone also doesn't seem "aware" of the pairing as the bluetooth icon just plain, without the symbols for a connection.

I have a Moto G5 with Android 8.1, latest updates, etc. I've reset the watch, restarted my phone, reinstalled the app, deleted and re-setup the watch, etc.

I looked through the manual, but it doesn't seem to mention this screen, so I'm not sure where to go next.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I found it. I had to tap On Off until pair showed up, then did classic pairing. That is not very clear at all.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

From the manual, there is an indication that the manual and firmware are not agreeing with each other. I think this is the pairing I'm missing, but the Fitbit app "dashboard" doesn't exist, unless there is another name for it now.

Check that Bluetooth on your phone is on and that your phone can receive
notifications (often under Settings > Notifications). Then set up notifications:
1. With your watch nearby, from the Fitbit app dashboard, tap the Account icon
> Ionic tile.
2. Tap Notifications.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions to pair your watch. Ionic appears in the list
of Bluetooth devices connected to your phone. Call, text, and calendar
notifications are turned on automatically.
4. To turn on notifications from apps installed on your phone, including Fitbit and
WhatsApp, tap App Notifications and turn on the notifications you want to
see

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your title is about Bluetooth pairing. Your first post seems to be about pairing the phone to the ionic so that the ionic is able to control the music playing on the phone. This is done through standards BT. 

Your second post seems to be about pairing the ionic to the phone through the Low Energy Bluetooth so that notifications will be sent. 

These are completely unrelated issues. Let's pick one to start troubleshooting. 

As for the dashboard, this is the screen that comes up when starting the Fitbit app, or when logging into fitbit.com. 

First question I have is what is it that is not working right? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm still working on identifying the various features, so I don't know what
to call it. I can't upload pictures to this forum otherwise I would upload
the screen I'm having trouble with.

When I press and hold the Back button, then swipe right, I get a screen
asking me to Connect Phone with 3 dots. Tapping that brings up another
screen with Source, and two icons for a clock and a phone.

For what I paid for the watch, I'm looking for a good user experience.
Best Answer
0 Votes

So what is it with music that you want to do? 

Press the clock if you want to listen to music stores on your ionic through headphones connected to the ionic. 

Choose phone if you want to control music that is playing in your phone. 

Let's go to the interactive help docs 

How do I control music with my Fitbit device?

Control music stored on your Fitbit device or playing on your phone.

For help on the different asspects
How do I listen to music and podcasts on my Fitbit watch?
Download your favorite playlists to your watch and listen to your tracks without needing your phone.
Why can't I control music with my Fitbit device?
Try these troubleshooting steps if you have trouble controlling music with your Fitbit device.
Why can't I download music and podcasts to my Fitbit watch?
Try these troubleshooting steps if you can't download playlists to your Fitbit watch.
How do I listen to Deezer playlists on my Fitbit watch?
Download Deezer playlists and Flow directly to your watch.
How do I listen to Pandora stations on my Fitbit watch?
Download your most-played Pandora stations or popular curated Workout stations directly to your watch
Best Answer
0 Votes
Is that what that menu is? Let me look in a but more detail. I was
connected to the app on Windows and could get to a couple places to upload
music, but it had troubles connecting. I'll try going through those
articles you shared.
Best Answer
0 Votes
This is what step doesn't work. Under Bluetooth settings, I only see Audio Device, and it says "Pair Your phone if music control is not working". There is no Pair option. If you have an Android or Windows 10 phone, first turn on Bluetooth Classic to control music on your phone. If you have an iPhone, skip to step 2. Open the Settings app User-added image on your Fitbit device > Bluetooth > Pair. On your phone, navigate to the Bluetooth settings where paired devices are listed. Your phone will scan for available devices. When you see Classic next to your Fitbit device, tap it.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I found it. I had to tap On Off until pair showed up, then did classic pairing. That is not very clear at all.

Best Answer
0 Votes