Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skiing

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Does the Ionic track skiing and snowboarding?

Best Answer
28 REPLIES 28

No it does not.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not natively, but you can create a custom workout which is what I did.

Best Answer
0 Votes

sure, you can track anything with a custom workout. But a custom workout doesn't track any of the interesting things about skiing/snowboarding - # of runs, vertical feet, removing time on lift and in lift line, etc.

Best Answer

Yep, I'm with @bbarrera, I'd like to have a "real" skiing app, like the couple I use on my Suunto, it gives me all the stats.

It can also be set for two (or more) custom modes, so I'm not always tracking constant GPS, I run a once/minute mode a lot when skiing, which tracks where I've skied, and most other, but allows a weekend (easy, more like 4-5 days) of data without any issues.

When my Suunto dies (battery is starting to get a bit "worn"), I'd like to just go to a single sports watch.  I'm also waiting to see if Fitbit rises to the challenge here, or somehow incentivises more developers to bring more ski/cycle/whatever apps to the platform. 

They'd probably need to add granularity too, I really hope for this, more than anything.  Taking samples 1/minute is HUGE when it comes to battery, but still give a relatively accurate picture, IME.

Best Answer

@PeteG-1 I've thought about doing a couple triathlons this year, and picking up a Garmin 935 which has ski tracking. For now I just use an app on my phone, and while in airplane mode my phone gets 15-18 hours battery life (at least while using RideWithGPS, haven't been skiing yet this year).

Best Answer

@bbarrera Yeah, I really like my Suunto for this, for the same reasons as the Garmin, it's designed to be more customize-able, letting me limit my non-fast/race days to 15s or 1 minute GPS intervals.  In this mode, I can easily ski a 3-day weekend, with GPS tracks showing me everywhere I went, or very close anyway.  This is with the ski/GPS mode only enabled when I'm actually skiing.

The Fitbit *could* be great for this too, if they added interval settings, and some bring their skiing apps over, with the data we want (runs, time skiing/lift, lunch, etc). 

I'd like to "retired" my Suunto if/when the battery totally goes, but it's looking more like I'll be getting the battery replaced instead, or looking for a low-use used model.

I don't ski with my phone anymore, I snapped one a couple of years ago in a high speed crash, and was lucky (broke a couple of ribs, but could've been worse if my phone had "gotten" me).  I figure I don't need a shattered phone when I'm tumbling along at 50+, even if it's a "fancy plastic" screen, it can't be good;-]

I suppose I could use a case, but then it'd be tough to get to my phone anyway.  My friends/family mostly use radios still, since they're more reliable anyway, say when you're skiing a "back bowl" that's distant from any cell towers.  The ski patrol monitor channel 9-11 at most areas, the last time I checked, so it's a good bailout in an emergency too, mostly.

Best Answer

@PeteG-1 to each their own... my phone, wallet, and car keys are with me while skiing and I make it a habit to not fall when flying down a groomed intermediate run at 50-65mph 🙂 the phone is my camera, not giving that up. And with the phone in airplane mode, I can GPS track all day 100-200 mile cycling events in the mountains where there is often no cell coverage for long periods of time. If I had something like Garmin 935 would use that to track, it has 24 hour GPS at 1 second recording time. Not sure about Fitbit priorities, but they have a lot of work to do improving fitbitOS....

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah, me too, I tend to have a "spectacular" one every 2-3 years, it seems.

This one I was whizzing down a normal course area, where my daughter races, and they'd just pulled SG, so it was near perfect.  Except someone had slipped one of the edges too much (probably in cleanup), and I hooked an edge, and my ribs, phone, everything took a beating, I wrapped a pole almost perfectly around my torso.

I use a compact sports-camera for skiing, I use my old coaches radio pouch, and just put that in the radio spot, and my wallet and all else inside, where my phone was.

There's not a lot between the back of it, and the phone, so I'm not doing that again.

I get the convenience thing 100% though, I ride with really good "real glass" glasses, except when I was racing (rules...), the clarity is just so much better, and they have REALLY good photocrhomic lenses.

Yeah, my Suunto will log about 40-50 hours of once/minute GPS cycling or skiing, but I could see where the phone is a good method too, I ride with plenty of people who didn't upgrade their Garmin, just bought a phone mount, many of them ex-racers like me, or actively (they obviously don't race with their phones, except the multi-day MTB stage guys, who use it as a map).

I gotta' stop this interval though, those big "wingers" are getting harder to recover from, being on the other side of 50 (I only thought 40 was tough) ;-]

Best Answer
0 Votes

@PeteG-1 honestly after 48 years skiing I fundamentally believe ski equipment and mountain hazards (rocks, trees) are far more dangerous than the contents of my pocket or what I'm wearing on my wrist. But I only carry a iPhone 7, wallet, keys, and food in my pockets. Its not an oversized phone, can't imagine walking around with a phablet, let alone wearing it as a breast plate in my ski jacket LOL.

I respect that you don't want to ski with your phone. My only advice after having been around Fitbit for the last 4 years - don't hold your breath waiting for better support of non-step based activities. Steps are still king here, the Fitbit app is easy on the eyes and works well as a 'weight watcher' style app but forget about any interesting Suunto/Garmin/Polar type of data. And despite the focus on steps, its not even possible to query the Fitbit dashboard how much running (or power walking) I did last week, month, or year. So thats why I'm not holding my breath on stuff like skiing, snowboarding, and bike sensor support.

Best Answer

Too funny @bbarrera, we're close on the years, I'm at 46, currently ;-]  Mine's a mix though, I telemark sometimes (raced tele for awhile too, that was truly an adventure of different sorts, thought I was "pretty good" on my tele's until I got in the gates...).  I snowboard sometimes too, but not as much after having to get a small bone fused, I definitely crash more on the snowboard, and those "pendulum falls" on the board are really rough.  I raced for years, before helmets were ever required, even for college divisional racing, with no helmet (there basically weren't any, except for downhill, and even those were sporadic, as I'm sure you know).  The snowboard got me started on a helmet, the absolute pounding you take, when catching edges, while learning (I'm sort of an intermediate-advanced boarder, I can get down almost anything, but some isn't pretty).

Hands down agree on the obstacles being MANY factors more dangerous, and I'd add other snow-sporters to the list too.  My two previous big ones to this one involved one out-of-control guy plowing into me, while I was chatting w/my wife and daughter.  He was all of 6'5", and at least 250lb, and at 5'8", 155-60, he blew me off my feet, and boy was I hurting.  Plus, he got up and skied off, before anyone could get his info, or anything, the ski patrol checked me, but I was in one piece.  Before that, a few years, I crossed a steep fall-line, at-speed, along with a boarder coming the other way on the ridge, and we sort of half bounced off each other, and then really tumbled (broke my goggles, and was pretty scratched from that one).

I need to get out of the business of the 2-3 year cycle though, it's not going to scale, bones and stuff just aren't going to heal fast enough, or possibly at all.

Yeah, I'm a phablet person, so I'm good with my goofy radio, camera, and watch, old-school (sort of), or mixed.  I could probably move the phone to a different pocket to be a bit safer, but it's too big, it would just annoy me.  

I'm fine with others skiing with their phones, my wife does, and most of my friends.  The risk is probably small, even in my "breast plate" configuration, but it spooked me, I looked at those pieces of heavy-duty plastic (gorilla glass), with the sharp edges, and that was enough for my config.  It's all assumed-risk, any way you slice it.

Yeah, I hear you, they seem to be struggling to just cover the current sports, but I think they could leverage the developer community.  They've gotten popular enough, that if they extended the API to allow things like "advanced data display" and such, a ported skiing app (from another platform) might be do-able.  Of course it might not even be part of their target market...

Best Answer

@PeteG-1 wrote:

I snowboard sometimes too, but not as much after having to get a small bone fused, I definitely crash more on the snowboard, and those "pendulum falls" on the board are really rough.

@PeteG-1 yeah I didn't bother continuing with snowboarding after the first day... did manage to graduate to intermediate slopes by mid-day, but repeatedly falling backwards and whacking head and tailbone wasn't fun 😉 I don't understand big phones, but I'm lucky enough to still be able to read a 4" iPhone 5s screen with and without my glasses. Plus I work in front of a MacBook all day with two 24" monitors and my computer handles all cellular calls (better audio via AT&T WiFi calling!), plus SMS/MMS texts and all those other video conferencing apps. So I don't spend much time looking at my phone.

Have fun on the slopes!

Best Answer
0 Votes

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&q=ski&location=idea-bo...

There are over 2 pages of feature suggestion posts asking for skiing.  For whatever reason, Fitbit hasn't implemented it.  As a skiier, it's pretty frustrating.  If you are a Strava user, the best workaround I found is to track it as a bike exercise and then change it in Strava to Alpine skiing.  Walking and Hiking didn't seem to work as well.

It's really strange that fitbit hasn't implemented a generic GPS-tracking workout, which you can name later.

Best Answer

3 years since the Surge launched, and Fitbit is still the king of steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunnerWeird deal, but I bet they just decided it'snot their demographic, or maybe it's part of a "longer game".

It seems like with the SDK released, those who have written ski customizations for other platforms, ought to be able to port.  Even just scribbling together a simple vertical and run counter seems like it can't be that tough, maybe I'll pull the SDK and see what it looks like.

It seems like there must've been a reason no one did has done so before.  Maybe it's because Fitbit doesn't market to that crowd, so the returns might be slow, or at least ramp very slowly.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

I skied today ( cross country ) an used the “bike” exercise mode, and I got what I wanted, distance, puls, speed, etc.. ( the gps wasn’t as precise as the other watch I used. But from what I can see at the forum it’s an issue you are working on with the Ionic ) But why cant you make it possible to edit the exercise afterwords from “bike” to “cross country skiing? When I do it, it just jumps back to “bike” after a few seconds. 

Is this something that will come in the new updates?

Best Answer
Best Answer

Yeah, @Furua, XC skiing is a good one (I'm an old XC racer too, way back), seems like it's right "in line" with the Fitbit target.
In the meantime, using something like a "Run" activity, and renaming it should work, after completing each XC entry.  Kind of a pain, but sort of workable.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Furua wrote:

Hi,

I skied today ( cross country ) an used the “bike” exercise mode, and I got what I wanted, distance, puls, speed, etc.. ( the gps wasn’t as precise as the other watch I used. But from what I can see at the forum it’s an issue you are working on with the Ionic ) But why cant you make it possible to edit the exercise afterwords from “bike” to “cross country skiing? When I do it, it just jumps back to “bike” after a few seconds. 

Is this something that will come in the new updates?

@FuruaThis works for me, if I rename the exercise after I'm done (for each one that was actually "skiing", or whatever the actual activity is).  I've changed a number of my bike trainer rides to "Indoor_Bike", and they "stick" just fine for me.

If you're talking about adding the ability to create custom exercises, I'm not sure where that's at, if it's even on the FB radar (I asked this a long time ago, right after I got my Charge2).

Best Answer

Spoke to fitbit support and they confirmed its not possible to change the "bike" or "run" modes to anything else. I found the "run"mode to be very off when recording distance on my cross country training, therfore i use the "bike"mode. But it seems like the gps isnt right, the distance on the ionic is 5-10% shorter than on strava and on my garmin every time...

Best Answer