Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step counting on Ionic is inaccurate

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi everyone I have not had the displeasure of the latest update but the last couple of weeks my step count is getting carried away . I have walked down stairs had my breakfast and sat on the sofa with the children practicing there times tables.  I just synced my watch to check my sleep and noticed i have done 500 steps . I have done maybe 100 . Yesterday thinking about it id done over 50 and i had not got out of bed . Does anyone have any ideas . 

Thanks in advance 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

Welcome on board @Ventovr6! To get updates and details in regards to the latest firmware version of Ionic/Versa, please keep an eye on this postSmiley Wink

If you're having discrepancy with your step count, first make sure the wrist placement settings are correct. Next, double check that you entered your height correctly. Since we use height to estimate your walking and running stride lengths, you may want to measure and manually adjust these values if your legs are longer or shorter than average.

Sometimes, when you start walking you may notice that your steps may not update on your device right away. After about 10-15 continuous steps, you'll notice the steps catch up and start updating in real-time with each step you take.

To get more information about this, check the article: How accurate are Fitbit devices?

I know you've done this, but if after taking these factors into account you still think your tracker is significantly undercounting or overcounting steps, please try a step test:

1. Restart your tracker.
2. Put your wrist-based tracker on your wrist.
3. Walk 100 steps, making sure to count a step each time one of your feet hits the ground.
4. Pause, then check your tracker to see your step count.

Also, I was wondering if by any chance, did you manually log an activity? Typically, your steps will be recalculated if you manually log an activity as the manually logged activity takes precedence over the steps you tracked while wearing your tracker at that point in time. For example, if I am wearing my tracker and walking and I reach 10,000 steps, then I go to the computer and manually log an activity that starts and ends at that point in time for say 1 hour, Fitbit will calculate how many steps you took and it may bring my step count to something below 10,000 steps. To clarify, activities should only be manually logged when you forget to wear your Fitbit.

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes