Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps being added while I sleep

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello Fitbit community,

When I wake up in the morning after sleeping right through without waking up my ionic is already saying I have done 100+ steps. 

I know it is quite accurate and usually measures as close as possible but waking up with more than 100 steps is pretty strange,

Can anyone help me figure out how to stop this happening,

Thanks 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Fred0, warm welcome to the community.

It's quite normal to wake up with some steps on the device  especially if you've been moving your arms around a lot in your sleep.

The Ionic uses an accelerometer to track when steps are taken. On some occasions though, it can register other movements as steps.

I wouldn't worry about 100 or so steps. In the grand scheme of things these will even out throughout the day, like when you are pushing a shopping trolly (which the Ionic finds difficult to measure steps with). Also such a small amount of steps is unlikely to effect your calorie burn in any meaningful way either. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @Fred0, warm welcome to the community.

It's quite normal to wake up with some steps on the device  especially if you've been moving your arms around a lot in your sleep.

The Ionic uses an accelerometer to track when steps are taken. On some occasions though, it can register other movements as steps.

I wouldn't worry about 100 or so steps. In the grand scheme of things these will even out throughout the day, like when you are pushing a shopping trolly (which the Ionic finds difficult to measure steps with). Also such a small amount of steps is unlikely to effect your calorie burn in any meaningful way either. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

Thank you very much N8teGee for the quick reply!

This is really helpful to know and reassures me it’s not out of the ordinary.

However, knowing this I was just wondering if their is any way to change how sensitive the accelerometer is as I am registering by the end of the day thousands more steps than my friends and family having been together all day walking similar distances,

thanks, Fred0

Best Answer
0 Votes

You could try setting it to the dominant setting, this should make the device less sensitive to false steps. You can do that by following the steps below.

1. From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap the Account icon User-added image> your device image.
  2. Scroll down to Wrist placement.
  3. Set to Dominant.
Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer
0 Votes

I woke to 33,000 + steps on Wednesday.

I've tried everything.

Still this keeps stepping.....

Despite advice from Fitbit employees, resetting, deleting the app, letting the battery run completely out, etc. it continues to log steps, despite lying stationary.

it has lost its mind.....

I'm becoming increasingly more frustrated with obtaining tech support.

I still have my other solution, which I have gone back to using.

That is working well, despite being in a box for 2 + years.

And,  "they" have really cleaned things up over there.... with their product?

This has caused a bigger dilemma than I realize.....

I truly like my Fitbit....but.

Best Answer
0 Votes