Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strava and Swimming-Ionic

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Does the swimming tool on fitbit Ionic not have GPS? Also, I can't upload ANY tcx files for any activity (including running and biking) to Strava. They all cannot be uploaded because the file is "empty" even though there is definitely GPS data when downloaded as an Excel format. Anyone know how to upload swim data to Strava? 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

No, @gpsupload, the Swim exercise does not use GPS.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
25 REPLIES 25

No, @gpsupload, the Swim exercise does not use GPS.

Best Answer

What a bummer! Is there any way to upload swim workouts to Strava?

Best Answer

£250 for ionic that won’t upload swimming? However runs are automatically uploaded perfect, why is this advertised as working in water when you can’t upload it to strava? Thanks in advance 

It’s just they’ve equipped a swimming exercise on ionic, so what is the point? And the music aswell what a waste of time can’t be bothered to download etc through a laptop etc, it’s 2018 Fitbit not 1990, why can’t it be Bluetoothed by Phone 

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

I've just been chatting with Fitbit support. There isn't currently a way to sync swim workouts from Fitbit to Strava. This is a drawback to the Fitbit. 

Best Answer

Please fitbit add this feature (sync swimming to strava) to the app.

Best Answer
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

This is not a solution sorry.

Other watchs send to strava the swim session and there is no GPS actived during the excercice.

Strava can receipt a swim session, but fitbit does not allow to sent to strava.

Does anywhone has news on the development on this feature?

This is clearly missing, I send data to strava for running and cycling .. but not .. swimming..

so bad

Best Answer

@Duke552 I mentioned this in another thread. Other vendors sync activities with or without GPS.

However Fitbit has limited exports to GPS. I reported this limitation over 3 years ago and it still hasn't been fixed. Until Fitbit allows exporting of activities without GPS, you won't be able to sync swimming to Strava. 

p.s. Fitbit is responsible for sending activities to Strava as seen during authorization process:

Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at 3.17.41 PM.png

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

Please can we have a response from Fitbit on this.  When will we be able to sync swims to Strava?  I too bought this watch specifically for it's ability to count swimming lengths, but it's a major missing feature not to sync to Strava.

Thanks,

Best Answer

Hi today I had a treadmill run and a swim the ionic didn’t antomaticly sync to strava.

My treadmill and swim didn’t  automatically.  I’ve tryed to do tt manually and it did sync but there was no details thanks.

How can I sync my swim to strava when I o it manually it doesn’t give details.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is the goal of this topic, Fitbit does not allow us to Sync with strava.

Sorry for you 😐

Best Answer

I've been in Maui for the weekend and wanted to circumnavigate the issue by swimming while the Bike exercise is on.  The good news is that you can convert the activity in Strava to a swim after it uploads.  The bad news is 1) Fitbit will not allow you to do this on their site, so it will stay as a bike ride and 2) The GPS loses it's connection very quickly once the Ionic is submersed in water.  I'm talking less than 10 seconds.  The only way to restablish is to raise your tracker out of the water for a bit, but it will lose connection once you go under again.  Once it uploads to strava you can navigate to the webpage and correct the distance (tell strava to recalculate distance b/t points on its own instead of providing fitbit's innaccurately provided distance points), but it will only plot the distance between connection points.

A solution, but not a great one.  It seems like the tracker just can't handle GPS once submerged.

Best Answer

It's not just Strava either.  Other websites where you can log your training want to be able to upload swimming but the tcx file contains no useful information at all.

Even if there was another type of file associated with this activity that did not include GPS it could at least include the basics - duration and distance swum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just started swimming and was excited to log it onto Strava with all my cycling info, and yep it doesn’t work !!!! So along with my floors not counting correctly it also doesn’t sync swimming  to Strava this ionic is starting to become a joke 

Best Answer

If you are looking for an improvement to the export file for swimming activities, can you go and vote on this improvement:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Generate-meaningful-TCX-for-swimming-data/idi-p/...

Best Answer

Wish I would have konw this before purchasing a Fitbit JUST to post swimming to Strava. Everything I read said that it could track open water and lap swims. No mention anywhere of GPS data missing and no auto sync for Strava. 😡

Best Answer

Hi,

I developed a web app to upload no gps activities in Strava.

The web site is https://www.fittostrava.com.

Try it and tell me if it satisfies you.

Best Answer

Hi,

I developed a web app to upload no gps activities in Strava.

The web site is https://www.fittostrava.com.

At this moment it upload every activities but no swimming because I need to know which data Fitbit exports for swimming, and I haven't a device for swimming. So if somebody want to help me, I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you.

Best Answer

Hi, thanks a lot for this app. I was frustrated and looking out for something like this. works very well for me in terms of syncing. Only issue that I have is the start time. It comes to the Fittostrava dashboard as expected. However start time is messed up (possible converting to PST) when it is posted to Strava. any possibility in fixing this?

Best Answer