Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swimming

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I don’t quite understand the swimming app, the pool I swim I. Is 18m, my Fitbit seems to be set for 25m, can I change this to 18m? If so how do I do it,  and so does the fitbit measure the number or actual lengths that I swim for does it only record 1 length after swimming 25m ? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
18 REPLIES 18

On the PC app go to advanced setting for the Ionic and you'll find swim settings (just under stride length) there you can put in however long the pool length is in Meters or Yards. I don't have my phone near me at the moment but you should also be able to do it there or via the fitbit website dashboard as well

Best Answer
0 Votes

The fitbit has no way of measuring the distance you have swum. It just detects the turns at rhe ends of the pool and counts them. It will tell you your distance by multiplying the number of laps iengths it detects bybthe pool length you have entered.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi NellyG
Thanks for the info, I can’t find where to enter the pool length, do you know where I can find it?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

On the Windows PC App you can change the swim settings here:

First pageFirst pageSecond PageSecond Page

Best Answer

I have a question about this. I was never sure if the pool I swim in is meters or yards. Today the lifeguard said it is yards. 

The Ionic is recording 25 meters. (I thought it was measuring the length but I see from this post that 25 meters is a default setting.) This was only my second swim while wearing it. 

Today, I swam 54 lengths of the pool. I changed the setting to 25 yards tonight, but now Ionic shows that I swam 54 lengths and 1,476 yards in a 25-meter pool? I am trying to set the pool length to 25 yards, which should come out to be 1,350 yards. How do I do this? Thank you. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Also, after I set it to 25 yards, it seems to revert back to meters and 0 when I close out of the app on my computer. There is no option to save. How do I fix this?

Best Answer
0 Votes

after typing in the number press Enter, at least that worked for me the first time will stay there unless you close the app completely

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi to all, my problem is Ionic only showing to me brest stroke, there is no freestyle... I am swimming 1x25 brest, then 1x25m freestyle, do I have option to change it...also during a swimming hear reat not showing anything..regards

Best Answer
0 Votes

The heart rate is turned off during a swimming workout out as the water reflects the led light and will just make for highly inaccurate readings. As for different strokes (not the TV Sitcom of the 80's either) I'm not sure how it would be possible to differentiate from one to another.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

I tried hitting "enter" after typing the numbers. It only stays until you close the app as you mentioned. Does this mean it will not show my data in yards going forward? (I was finally able to change it to yards on the watch itself - that has remained at yards.) I don't want the data in meters if I'm swimming in a pool that's in yards. Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,
I am using the Ionic since few months now and I have to say I am fairly happy with the product. However, there are at least 2 features that are not working at all for me:
1) the way swimming is tracked on the device is acceptable (i.e. no stroke counting, please add it!), as I can set it to record my lap times. However, strangely enough, when the swim data get synchronized with the app, the lap times get lost and I am left with unuseful (for me) calorie counting for each lap! Is there a possibility to view the swim data on the app in the same way as seen on the tracker?
2) I spoke about unuseful calorie counting for the swimming as: a) the heart rate is guessed at best and b) there is no [O2] data. This second issue is my other concern: Ionic was sold with the promise of the activation of [O2] sensors and, while other much cheaper trackers already have this function, I own a currently overpriced device sold with fake performance promises. Can you update on when the [O2] sensors will be working? If never, can I get a partial refund for the unit? I would be accepting a slightly reduced battery life (effectively impressive compared to competition) in order to have such capability.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Purchased the Ionic mainly for swimming. Disappointed that it is logging my 33 1/3 metre pool as 25 metres. Can this be changed somehow?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Peterhionic, what do you have the length set at in your app?  Check out the post at the beginning of this thread on this, such as this one:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Ionic/Swimming/m-p/2532933/highlight/true#M35203

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi
No option to change swim length under stride length. 😞

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Larry

No option to change swim pool length under stride length. Can find pool length set as 25 metres but no option to change it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think the only way to change the swim settings is in the app on your PC, not the phone app. Also, on the watch itself, if you tap the little gear symbol on the Swim screen, you can change settings there. I had to change mine from meters to yards & I believe that is how I did it. Good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I posted some pictures to show where to change it earlier in this thread.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks folks - all sorted 🙂

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes