Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing difficulties

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I would have replied to the original post, but it has been closed, saying it has been resolved.  It hasn't been.  So I am starting a new topic.

I am having issues getting the tracker sync with my ionic.  Not only that, it's ten minutes behind time and the only way to sort this out is to sync.  Why not have somewhere in the settings so you can manually change the time?  This device is so buggy, what with the login issue which is still an issue after updates.

Do fitbit actually care about these issues at all?  

Moderator edit: subject for clarity and word choice

Best Answer
18 REPLIES 18

@unfitfatty, if you wish to return your tracker, you need to contact Fitbit Support, not the Forums nor the Moderators.

Best Answer

I have. Twice. They respond with the same incorrect information based on US laws.  Also the twitter team do the same thing.  Fitbit don't seem interested in anything apart from counting their money.  

As it is I have followed the advice on the 'solved' thread, but the phone never finds the tracker.  

Now if fitbit would supply a USB cable that wasn't a 'dumb' one - one that could actually transfer data, I could connect to the dashboard on the website, and that would be enough to pacify me.  After all, what's the point of a fitness tracker that doesn't track anything?  I can't even update to the latest firmware at the moment, though reading the login issue thread, the latest firmware release is causing more issues than it is solving.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Awesome tip @USAF-Larry! Thanks for the update @unfitfatty! I really appreciate that you have shared your experience with your Fitbit Ionic and Support. To further assist you, I've created a Support Case on your behalf - you should receive an email from Customer Support at the email you used to register with the Community forums.

Keep me posted if you have any other question.

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

Best Answer

Why does no moderator respond to messages even though they ask for it?  I have sent 8 messages to 4 moderators.  Not one reply.  

Also crossposting is if I raise this issue in another thread it isn't relevant to.  Not when I reply within the same thread.  There is way too much censorship within this community.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the reply @unfitfatty! Please check your inbox, I have replied to your PM. Also, if you have a question about moderators actions you can take a look to our Community Guidelines and our Terms of Service.

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

Best Answer

@LucyAP & @USAF-Larry thanks for your inputs guys!

Let's get you back on track, @unfitfatty! I see you have been experiencing syncing difficulties with your Ionic and, consequently your time isn't right.

First, I recommend checking out these posts with useful tips to fix syncing issues.

If you've tried what those posts suggest to no avail, then I suggest doing the following from your Fitbit app:

1. From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap or click the Account icon
  2. Tap Set Up a Device.
  3. Choose your Ionic and follow the on-screen instructions to continue.

I really hope this helps. Keep me posted with the outcome.

Mariam | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer

@MariamV It took all day to sort out.  I deleted the ionic on the app, but it sat there for hours on set up before I gave up on it.  The app found it, but wouldn't connect to it.  I pressed all of the buttons at once on the ionic out of frustration  and only then was I able to set it up.  I've only just managed this in the last ten minutes.  

Your reply in private messages must have got lost in the system as I don't appear to have received any responses 😉

Oh and it's probably best not to call an issue resolved and close a thread, just in case it rears its head again - just as the login issues have.  If the thread had been open, I wouldn't have had to open a new thread.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@unfitfatty thanks for sharing what worked for you! A restart usually does the trick.

Feel to post back in case you encounter any other issues.

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer

Had to do the same this morning to force it to connect.  So not solved, really.

Best Answer

I still need to unpair and pair in order for my Ionic to sync every couple days.  Is this how the product is supposed to work?  This is my 4th fitbit and I've never had an issue on prior devices.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same problem having to unpair and pair again delete the ionic again and again, and I can't help feeling that the whole set up still thinks its on kickstarter - it's all very amateur.  No real support and I have grown tired of trying to make my ionic work.  I think I saw you use the chocolate frying pan for frying eggs analogy.  It's very apt.  Am getting tired of having to reset the device several times a day.  It's useless as a tracker and even useless as a watch as once it disconnects it loses time.  

Time to get professional, Fitbit.  That means to do something about the problem rather than censor posts, as I have been told has been happening.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine also won't sync. I've tried all the tips in the help topics to no avail. Is there an update coming that will fix the bugs?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SpartyMike @Username147 @EireRN hope you're doing well guys, and enjoying some healthy activities!

Have you tried opening your phone's Bluetooth settings, select the Ionic, tell Bluetooth to Forget the Ionic, close your phone's settings, and then re-opening the Fitbit App and try to connect to the Ionic again?

Also, I've found this post by @mrmath3 with some troubleshooting steps. Check it out!

Give it a try and let me know how it goes. I'll be around!   

Best Answer

I've tried all of the recommended fixes...all more than once. Some of them
work intermittently but nothing consistent. It's now been three days (I
think) since anything has worked. Are there any updates in the works that
will fix this?

--
Sarah 

Moderator edit: removed personal info

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a Fitbit Ionic - received at the beginning of October.  Two days ago (today is day 3), my Ionic also started losing time and won't stay connected to my phone long enough to sync.  I have also tried the multiple reported fixes and, as with other people, some fixes work sometimes, sometimes they don't.  What is most disconcerting to me, though, is that it's losing time when it isn't connected, approximately 1-2 minutes every hour on average.  I went to bed at 11 last night and when my Ionic alarm went off at 7 (Ionic time) this morning, it was a full 18 minutes behind.

Given that I have now had to sort out the syncing issues for three day in a row, I'm wondering if I should just call tech support and get a replacement (unless that one will have the same problem?) - or is the Fitbit team actually sorting this out and is going to release an update any time soon?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Victoria_Peach wrote:

I have a Fitbit Ionic - received at the beginning of October.  Two days ago (today is day 3), my Ionic also started losing time and won't stay connected to my phone long enough to sync.  I have also tried the multiple reported fixes and, as with other people, some fixes work sometimes, sometimes they don't.  What is most disconcerting to me, though, is that it's losing time when it isn't connected, approximately 1-2 minutes every hour on average.  I went to bed at 11 last night and when my Ionic alarm went off at 7 (Ionic time) this morning, it was a full 18 minutes behind.

Given that I have now had to sort out the syncing issues for three day in a row, I'm wondering if I should just call tech support and get a replacement (unless that one will have the same problem?) - or is the Fitbit team actually sorting this out and is going to release an update any time soon?

Not sure how much this will help, but have you checked to make sure that your Fitbit app is updated?  They just released an update today for Android users (not so sure about Apple), in which they apparently fixed some bugs.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer

@DramaQueenDiva wrote:

Not sure how much this will help, but have you checked to make sure that your Fitbit app is updated?  They just released an update today for Android users (not so sure about Apple), in which they apparently fixed some bugs.

Thanks for the suggestion, but sadly, I check to ensure the app is up-to-date each time before I have to try the re-syncing process.  It comes down to the Bluetooth connection - it just doesn't want to stay connected.  I've never had a problem with it before, and my other Bluetooth devices stay connected just fine (I even tried disconnecting all the others to see if that was part of the problem - but even when the Ionic was the only Bluetooth device, I still had the same connectivity issues).

But even with Bluetooth connectivity issues - I don't know why that would make the Ionic stop keeping time accurately... it seems odd that a device whose co-primary functionality is meant to be a watch wouldn't be able to keep its own timing mechanism...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Victoria_Peach wrote:

@DramaQueenDiva wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, but sadly, I check to ensure the app is up-to-date each time before I have to try the re-syncing process.  It comes down to the Bluetooth connection - it just doesn't want to stay connected.  I've never had a problem with it before, and my other Bluetooth devices stay connected just fine (I even tried disconnecting all the others to see if that was part of the problem - but even when the Ionic was the only Bluetooth device, I still had the same connectivity issues).

But even with Bluetooth connectivity issues - I don't know why that would make the Ionic stop keeping time accurately... it seems odd that a device whose co-primary functionality is meant to be a watch wouldn't be able to keep its own timing mechanism...

I'm now stuck in this as well, I have to reset everything now too: BT through BIOS on my PC, remove all devices, reset the watch, and then it'll connect for one(1) sync).

After that, nix, it says it's not bonded (the Bluetooth pairings are out-of-sync), and no amount of fiddling with BT will fix it.  Thinking about firing up a kernel debugger via Windows, but it's a pain, and it seems like Fitbit should be doing their debug work, not me (I also don't have symbolic data, for their code, so I'd only be able to see "rough operations", not actual code tracing, per-se).

It's hard for me to imagine how it makes sense for Fitibit (by all appearances) to just "ignore" this issue, but the posts for it go back since the release.

I think you're fine, until they cache a bad security-descriptor, or similar, for your device, and the code appears to have a bug where it persists it, indefinitely.

I'm sure if I re-built my Windows machine, that it would reset the status (since all the descriptors would be reset, fully), but that's a bit ridiculous.  
I suspect mine's going back too, unless someone from Fitbit confirms they're working on a fix.

Best Answer
0 Votes